DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-28-2012, 08:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 Hemi
Trim Level: Cool Chrome
Color: Cool Vanilla
Rep:79
westxsrt10 will become famous soon enough

Photo of pinon nut location.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RamAxle.JPG (109.6 KB, 115 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2013 Big Horn Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Western Brown Pearl
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:160
Otterdriver has a spectacular aura aboutOtterdriver has a spectacular aura about

I might have OCD, obviously Dodge isn't going to have a fix anytime soon for the pinion nut scenario, my original idea was to apply an epoxy of some sort to the threads outside of the pinion nut so as not to disturb where it was tightened to. Please share your opinions for this idea, tomorrow my truck is going for an alignment and new rear tires, at the same time they are going to expose the pinion nut, I figured if there were enough threads showing, put a second nut on with lock-tite and snug it to the existing pinion nut, I would think this would stop any movement with the existing nut. Temporary I suppose, but piece of mind. I am hauling our TT on a 5 day camping trip and I could only imagine dropping a driveshaft and the rear-end locking up on the highway.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

2009, 30K plus, no problems so far, knock on wood
Old 06-22-2012, 12:46 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn SLT
Color: Austin Tan Pearl
Rep:30
Almond 04 is on a distinguished road

Hey guys little update. I had posted in this thread March 9th at 34K and had no problems. Well it happened to me. On vacation with the family 250mi away from home in the White Mtns of New Hampshire. Wensday June 20th all day I heard a humming when coasting not under load. Chalked it up to havin the A/C on. Then it happened boom!!! Pulled over D/S on the ground diff fluid all over the place. 39,2000 MILES ON THE CLOCK.
Pinnion nut backed off pushed the pinnion inside the carrier and locked the rear.
Called Chrysler roadside assisantce got it towed to the nearest dealer. 200 miles away from home. Dealer called yesterday needs a new D/S and everything inside the diff. Locked up solid, ripped all the teeth off the ring and pinnion crushed the spider gears too.
Dealer said all parts are on back order with no eta of arrival. Could be without my truck for 2-4 weeks. Are you ****ing kidding me??
Had to pay 117- for a cab back to the condo then 60 for a cab to the rental co. and 135 for the rental.
Called my local dlr where I bought it they couldnt gimme a rental cause there not working on my truck. He told me to call corprate and open a claim. You can bet your ass they are gonna pay for all my outta pocket expenses or I'LL SUE THE EVER LIVIN SHIT OUTTA THEM.

Old 06-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Vehicle: 2010 RAM SLT 4X4
Trim Level: SPORT CREW CAB
Color: Black
Rep:10
CCeastside is on a distinguished road

wow!!! have 40k on mine with no problem at all. and today i had the boys at the shop L,O,F, mine Ram and to check the rear end, drive shaft ect... guess what!! on the drive shaft all were finger loose!!!! hope that's all, with new hearders i just might test the DS/rear end a little more often
Old 06-26-2012, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

I just had mine in - rear pinion seal was leaking slightly, so I took it in for that and a replacement of the passenger side mirror (turning brown from the heating element!). Thank God I have the Max Care lifetime warranty.

Anyway, I was under the truck talking with the mechanic and he said that they lost a driveshaft on a dealer demo back when the 2010's were out. He had also seen a few cases on 2009's and 10's.

He checked everything, replaced the seal, etc, -

I am wondering - is it the rear that's failing which is causing the pinion nut to back off or is it the other way around?

This thread concerns me -
Old 06-26-2012, 09:30 PM

Vehicle: 2010 dodge ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Brillant Black
Rep:168
scmedic09 has a spectacular aura aboutscmedic09 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almond 04 View Post
Hey guys little update. I had posted in this thread March 9th at 34K and had no problems. Well it happened to me. On vacation with the family 250mi away from home in the White Mtns of New Hampshire. Wensday June 20th all day I heard a humming when coasting not under load. Chalked it up to havin the A/C on. Then it happened boom!!! Pulled over D/S on the ground diff fluid all over the place. 39,2000 MILES ON THE CLOCK.
Pinnion nut backed off pushed the pinnion inside the carrier and locked the rear.
Called Chrysler roadside assisantce got it towed to the nearest dealer. 200 miles away from home. Dealer called yesterday needs a new D/S and everything inside the diff. Locked up solid, ripped all the teeth off the ring and pinnion crushed the spider gears too.
Dealer said all parts are on back order with no eta of arrival. Could be without my truck for 2-4 weeks. Are you ****ing kidding me??
Had to pay 117- for a cab back to the condo then 60 for a cab to the rental co. and 135 for the rental.
Called my local dlr where I bought it they couldnt gimme a rental cause there not working on my truck. He told me to call corprate and open a claim. You can bet your ass they are gonna pay for all my outta pocket expenses or I'LL SUE THE EVER LIVIN SHIT OUTTA THEM.

man hope you have better luck, i filed complaints with chrysler canada, tried everything, but because i didnt have extended warrant/care package, what ever its called, they wont cover a rental etc. sucks a$$. mine was replaced last august, and last week went back in, bearings were screwed up due to bad dealer install. I am waiting for new gears again, because mine have wore, they said it will be about a month due to world wide shortage/back order. at least mine is still drivable. Hope you have good luck man, keep us posted
Old 06-27-2012, 12:30 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie Crew Cab
Color: Austin Tan Pearl &Lt. Graystone Pearl
Rep:27
theweavman is on a distinguished road

Is this happening on 2009's or just 2010s?
Is it on the 3.92 rear ends or on all?
Is it on the 4x4 or 2 wheel drives or both?
I have an 09 3.92 4x4.... With 31k miles, I crawled under mine today to have a look.... The 4, 15mm bolts that attach the drive shaft to the pinion flange were all totally tight... You can not see the pinion bolt with the unit assembled...so there is no easy way that I know of to check the pinion nut.... If anyone knows a way please let me know..
I'm about to take my truck on a vacation and don't want to have this happen and ruin my trip.... All my u-joint clips also appeared to be fine.... Thanks for any additional info
Old 06-28-2012, 04:14 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
10ramisport will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otterdriver View Post
I might have OCD, obviously Dodge isn't going to have a fix anytime soon for the pinion nut scenario, my original idea was to apply an epoxy of some sort to the threads outside of the pinion nut so as not to disturb where it was tightened to. Please share your opinions for this idea, tomorrow my truck is going for an alignment and new rear tires, at the same time they are going to expose the pinion nut, I figured if there were enough threads showing, put a second nut on with lock-tite and snug it to the existing pinion nut, I would think this would stop any movement with the existing nut. Temporary I suppose, but piece of mind. I am hauling our TT on a 5 day camping trip and I could only imagine dropping a driveshaft and the rear-end locking up on the highway.
Otterdriver,
I thought about the same idea as well by using a second nut. Have you done this yet? Any pics? Next year I'll be moving to the lower 48 from Alaska and wouldn't want this to happen. I want some piece of mind before hand. Once I get a free weekend I might try this.
Old 06-28-2012, 04:21 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500 CC
Trim Level: Sport 4x4
Color: Bright White
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:73
10ramisport will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theweavman View Post
Is this happening on 2009's or just 2010s?
Is it on the 3.92 rear ends or on all?
Is it on the 4x4 or 2 wheel drives or both?
I have an 09 3.92 4x4.... With 31k miles, I crawled under mine today to have a look.... The 4, 15mm bolts that attach the drive shaft to the pinion flange were all totally tight... You can not see the pinion bolt with the unit assembled...so there is no easy way that I know of to check the pinion nut.... If anyone knows a way please let me know..
I'm about to take my truck on a vacation and don't want to have this happen and ruin my trip.... All my u-joint clips also appeared to be fine.... Thanks for any additional info
Has happened on 09s and 10s
I've read it happened on a variety of rear ends and on 4x4s/2 wheel drives

I have a 3.92 4x4 as well...knock on wood everything looks good w/20K miles