DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-31-2012, 02:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:39
11BFollowMe is on a distinguished road
Default Avoid tranny issues

Alright guys ive got 100 thousand miles on my baby bought it with 86 the tranny seems to be in good condition and having no issues shifting or anything. From what im told dodge trannys arent all that great so i was wondering what can i do to beaf up the tranny and avoid problems within a reasonable budget i dont want to go droppin a couple g's on a rebuild kit and as for shift kits the ones that are 50 bucks seem a little cheap to me any response would help thanks
K&N CAI,Flowmaster Cat-Back Custom Bent With 2.5" Tips,Debadged,Autometer Vacuum Gauge With Single Gauge A-Pillar Pod,Bushwacker Fender Flares,Tonno Pro Tonneau Cover,180 T-Stat,93 Octane SCT Tune,Plasti Dipped Grill and Rims,Tow Mirrors
Sponsored links
Old 05-31-2012, 04:05 PM

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11BFollowMe View Post
Alright guys ive got 100 thousand miles on my baby bought it with 86 the tranny seems to be in good condition and having no issues shifting or anything. From what im told dodge trannys arent all that great so i was wondering what can i do to beaf up the tranny and avoid problems within a reasonable budget i dont want to go droppin a couple g's on a rebuild kit and as for shift kits the ones that are 50 bucks seem a little cheap to me any response would help thanks

Chrysler Transmissions the older ones are pretty good, they are known for issues mainly with operating temperature, electronics, and shift quality. The shift quality is common among the older 46RH and RE, some 47's, and a few A500 and 42's. The issue was with the 2-3 shift and reverse, the symptoms wouldn't show up until the transmission had a good 100K miles or more on it or if the fluid wasn't changed often. Their is a lip seal in the direct drum, the direct drum has a machined grove which the lip seal sits in, some of the drums were over-machined at the factory so the lip seal wasn't protruding out of the grove enough to properly seal and as the seal aged it would begin to leak alot and you would have delayed or no 2-3 shift and slipping reverse or no reverse. My 46RH from my 1995 had this issue, I had a delayed 2-3 shift and when I rebuilt it sure enough the seal base wasn't large enough to compensate for the manufacture defect.
There was no recall because of two reasons, the money due to the labor involved to replace a seal that costs 50 cents, and the symptoms didn't occur until the truck's warranty ended, pretty much.

The next issue is with the delayed 3-4 shift, simply it is a result of a broken 3-4 shift spring, if you have a transmission from 94 or earlier which you don't the spring would be .063" diameter coil, starting in 1995 Chrysler began to use .125" springs. Since you have a 01 or 02 it's going to be .125" but they still break over time.

The second factor in a slipping, delayed, or no 3-4 shift is the OD shift solenoid. This contributed to the issue with the electronics.

The shuddering some of these transmission exhibited would be from either the driveline in some models and years, but from the exhaust valve cutout on the seperater plate, and of course the TCC solenoid would fail or clog.

Now moving on to heat related issues, some of the older TF's would have cooling issues mainly with the OD unit because of oil flow, in your case it's not a big issue but I would still recommend a external transmission cooler. Installing the cooler will extend the fluid life and the overall life of the transmission.

The next thing you should do is remove the anti-drain back valve, the valve is known to clog thus stopping oil flow to the transmission. Also the valve effects pressure and volume.

Another issue with the TF's is they don't have oil flow in park, now I don't know if this accounts for the later model TF's because they did make changes since 1998. The issue is in neutral the input shaft is still going to spin a little, if there isn't a oil flow then it's going to ride on a dry bushing thus wearing the bushing out, Sonnax makes a valve to allow oil flow in park. I recommend you get two sonnax valves. Part numbers:
22771-09 Manual Valve
22771A-02K Pressure Regulator Valve

The pressure regulator valve has a built in anti-drain back valve and it also also limits the pressure to the reverse band when you put the transmission in reverse among other things too. The issue with the reverse pressure is that the pressure would be so high in reverse that the valve body would begin to cross leak making a hydraulic cyclic sound, the cross leak also would distort the valve body.

The manual valve allow oil flow in park. And reduces delayed engagements.

And of course regular fluid/filter changes are a good start.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:29 PM

what do you think about the sonnax line pressure booster thing or watever it is? / shift kits im probably gonna do what your talking about though
K&N CAI,Flowmaster Cat-Back Custom Bent With 2.5" Tips,Debadged,Autometer Vacuum Gauge With Single Gauge A-Pillar Pod,Bushwacker Fender Flares,Tonno Pro Tonneau Cover,180 T-Stat,93 Octane SCT Tune,Plasti Dipped Grill and Rims,Tow Mirrors
Old 05-31-2012, 11:36 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
what do you think about the sonnax line pressure booster thing or watever it is? / shift kits im probably gonna do what your talking about though
The boost valve is for the TC clutch mainly, it helps keep the clutch engaged when you are at lower speeds. Anyways what do I think of them, nothing to think about. Personally I wouldn't do a shift kit, no reason to. I would just buy those two valves individually, and would replace the 3-4 shift spring and all the electronics in addition to the valve body rebuild. Once all that is done it will be smooth sailing until the transmission dies. I don't like shift kits to be honest, I think it's a very cheap way to get firm shifts. Now a calibration kit or sure cure kit which helps correct manufacture faults is a different story.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:57 PM

whats the price range on those kits, and would i get more firmness in shifting by doing the two valves and the spring?
Old 06-01-2012, 12:08 AM

Quote:
whats the price range on those kits, and would i get more firmness in shifting by doing the two valves and the spring?
well the 3-4 shift spring is intended to give a firmer 3-4 shift. now those valves won't really give you a firmer shift, if you want a firmer shift you can just increase the line pressure slightly by adjusting the pressure regulator adjuster screw. those valves are really to extend the life of the transmission.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:22 AM

i see thanks for all the info and would the 3 to 4 be kinda stiff already cause when i have it to the floor and it shifts from 3rd to 4th its pretty firm almost kicks in not in a bad way
Old 06-01-2012, 12:25 AM

Quote:
i see thanks for all the info and would the 3 to 4 be kinda stiff already cause when i have it to the floor and it shifts from 3rd to 4th its pretty firm almost kicks in not in a bad way
no problem. as you the spring stiffing up the 3-4 shift, it will firm it up only if the old spring is broken. can't really firm a 3-4 shift easily.
Old 12-29-2013, 09:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge 2500 Ram
Rep:10
rcannon440 is on a distinguished road

I have a 93 Dodge with the 46RH transmission with the same problem. It will not shift into 3rd gear until I have played with the throttle then it will go into 3rd at about 50 mph. Although sometimes instead of going into 3rd it will act like it's between gears and the engine just revs up until I manually downshift to 2nd. Also it will not go into overdrive until 60mph. I tried adjusting the bands changed fluid and cleaned the valve body. Also I have another 89 truck that vibrates in 3rd gear and goes away when it shifts to overdrive. Could something be bent inside the transmission.? Why would it only vibrate in 3rd gear. THX