DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-24-2012, 09:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: slt laramie
Color: silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
cape99ram is on a distinguished road
Default 1999 46re auto trans problems

So, here i am with more problems from the old ram. 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2 46re auto tranny with 110000 miles. the trans. is now acting up. it was doing good for a while until i had 2 misfires, a bad o2 sensor and a plugged cat. it seemed like it was going into limp mode, and would drop into nuetral when i stabbed the throttle. i drilled some holes to let the motor breathe again before i had money for parts and it was back to normal. i bought the parts and never installed them and everything has been fin up until i started seeing small red spots in the driveway. trans pan is rotting out.... i kept an eye on it and kept the atf up at the correct level and all was good for a little while. then things got weird. when it rained, and even sometimes out of the blue the truck would start off in 2nd gear when started. id turn it off nd on and sometimes it still started in second, sometimes it would back to normal starting ni 1st and sometimes it would start in first and not come out of second unless i matted it and let off quick. this is becoming more frequent but now only when its wet outside. it seems to get stuck in either 1st or 2nd gear with the torque converter unlocked and it wont lock until its cruising in 4th. so this has been happening for a while and im thinking some kind of sensor or connector or solenoid is getting wet... any ideas???
My recent and newest concern is that when i take a quick (wide o sharp) left turn, the tranny seems to drop into neutral for a split second and then hits 1st quick, chirping the tires even under light acceleration and then being normal. it happens mostly when im starting to straighten the wheel. ive heard of similar issues and the solutions was some kind of pressure solenoid. it still has the starting in 2nd problem too. today i changed the filter, gasket and pan, and it continues to have the turning and stuck in second problem. i know the 1st and second gear bands could use an adjustment but that probably wont help the problems for the most part. any help would be greatly appreciated, because im trying to sell the truck. thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:127
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cape99ram View Post
So, here i am with more problems from the old ram. 1999 dodge ram 1500 5.2 46re auto tranny with 110000 miles. the trans. is now acting up. it was doing good for a while until i had 2 misfires, a bad o2 sensor and a plugged cat. it seemed like it was going into limp mode, and would drop into nuetral when i stabbed the throttle. i drilled some holes to let the motor breathe again before i had money for parts and it was back to normal. i bought the parts and never installed them and everything has been fin up until i started seeing small red spots in the driveway. trans pan is rotting out.... i kept an eye on it and kept the atf up at the correct level and all was good for a little while. then things got weird. when it rained, and even sometimes out of the blue the truck would start off in 2nd gear when started. id turn it off nd on and sometimes it still started in second, sometimes it would back to normal starting ni 1st and sometimes it would start in first and not come out of second unless i matted it and let off quick. this is becoming more frequent but now only when its wet outside. it seems to get stuck in either 1st or 2nd gear with the torque converter unlocked and it wont lock until its cruising in 4th. so this has been happening for a while and im thinking some kind of sensor or connector or solenoid is getting wet... any ideas???
My recent and newest concern is that when i take a quick (wide o sharp) left turn, the tranny seems to drop into neutral for a split second and then hits 1st quick, chirping the tires even under light acceleration and then being normal. it happens mostly when im starting to straighten the wheel. ive heard of similar issues and the solutions was some kind of pressure solenoid. it still has the starting in 2nd problem too. today i changed the filter, gasket and pan, and it continues to have the turning and stuck in second problem. i know the 1st and second gear bands could use an adjustment but that probably wont help the problems for the most part. any help would be greatly appreciated, because im trying to sell the truck. thanks!
There is no first gear band, there is a 2nd gear band (kickdown) and a reverse band (rear band) however the rear band is used in MANUAL 1st gear.

I would recommend you fix or replace that transmission pan, think of the transmission as the human body, drain your blood out and lets see what happens...

Well in my professional expertise it sounds like it may be valve body related, which would include the sensors. If you find someone with a snap on mt2500 or a DRB2 diagnostics tool you can plug it in and do diagnostics tests on the sensors, better yet if you find someone with the MTG2500 you can graph the sensor data while you drive and review it later, this is good for seeing if the sensor is working properly. But in the mean time drop the valve body and clean the sensors, some powdered metal produced from the planets circulates inside the valve body and collects in the valves and the solenoids and sensors so just remove the sensors and use some compressed air to clean out the sensors. Worse can scenario you need to rebuild the valve body (big woop 1 hour).
Old 05-27-2012, 04:22 PM

the transmission pan was changed like a week ago... along with the ilter. there was no meta shavings on the magnet either... ill see if i can my hands on a scan tool too.
Old 05-27-2012, 04:23 PM

and im beginning to think the tranny needs to be rebuilt... its starting to shift hard
Old 05-27-2012, 05:23 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
and im beginning to think the tranny needs to be rebuilt... its starting to shift hard
I doubt the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Like I said you probably just need to have the valve body rebuilt, the valve body is what makes the transmission shift, it's pretty much the controller of the transmission. If you have something like a clogged timing valve then you can have slow shifts. And so on... The scan tool I'm talking about the MT2500 isn't a regular scan tool, it's a diagnostics tool and it's very helpful because it runs diagnostics programs and provides a lot of sensor information. If you go on ebay you should be able to pickup a MT2500 for a couple hundred dollars.
I rebuild toruqeflite transmissions, engines, rear ends, interior, exterior, electronics, and everything. So I have a ton of experience with these Dodges lol especially since mine was giving me such trouble and money is scarce so it's the time that people start making there own repairs. But anytime you need information help anything please ask me and I am certain I can be of help.

It's good that you didn't find any shavings, you should of wiped some metallic powder off the magnet though, that is normal wear from the planets.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramvan2500 View Post
I doubt the transmission needs to be rebuilt. Like I said you probably just need to have the valve body rebuilt, the valve body is what makes the transmission shift, it's pretty much the controller of the transmission. If you have something like a clogged timing valve then you can have slow shifts. And so on... The scan tool I'm talking about the MT2500 isn't a regular scan tool, it's a diagnostics tool and it's very helpful because it runs diagnostics programs and provides a lot of sensor information. If you go on ebay you should be able to pickup a MT2500 for a couple hundred dollars.
I rebuild toruqeflite transmissions, engines, rear ends, interior, exterior, electronics, and everything. So I have a ton of experience with these Dodges lol especially since mine was giving me such trouble and money is scarce so it's the time that people start making there own repairs. But anytime you need information help anything please ask me and I am certain I can be of help.

It's good that you didn't find any shavings, you should of wiped some metallic powder off the magnet though, that is normal wear from the planets.
i put some lucas oil transmission slip stuff in it a week ago and it stopped the trans from acting up around corners and jumping from gear to gear randomly, and i did wipe off the metal powder before i put the magnet in the new pan. everythings been fine until today... it started raining and now its starting in second sometimes, not coming out of 1st, not coming out of 2nd, etc... also, it dropped to neutral around a corner too. i checked a couple connectors on the bottom of the trans, and they were dry. then i realized i have the front o2 sensor unplugged... could that cause the problem? maybe getting the 02 sensor puts it in limp mode??? i cant seem to plug it back in cause its melted a little bit on the plug connected to the 02 sensor tho...
Old 06-02-2012, 03:07 PM

Quote:
i put some lucas oil transmission slip stuff in it a week ago and it stopped the trans from acting up around corners and jumping from gear to gear randomly, and i did wipe off the metal powder before i put the magnet in the new pan. everythings been fine until today... it started raining and now its starting in second sometimes, not coming out of 1st, not coming out of 2nd, etc... also, it dropped to neutral around a corner too. i checked a couple connectors on the bottom of the trans, and they were dry. then i realized i have the front o2 sensor unplugged... could that cause the problem? maybe getting the 02 sensor puts it in limp mode??? i cant seem to plug it back in cause its melted a little bit on the plug connected to the 02 sensor tho...
It could be anything, especially since it's all electronic which is also why they make 30,000 dollar diagnostics machines lol. Anyways yes it could be the O2 sensor but IDK. I'm thinking you need a new governor pressure sensor and or temperature sensor. If it starts raining that will effect atmospheric pressure along with temperature. But if you had a MT2500 you could hook that up to the diagnostics block connector and get those sensor readings and be on your way. But if you run into any problems DO NOT hesitate to contact me.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:38 PM

Quote:
It could be anything, especially since it's all electronic which is also why they make 30,000 dollar diagnostics machines lol. Anyways yes it could be the O2 sensor but IDK. I'm thinking you need a new governor pressure sensor and or temperature sensor. If it starts raining that will effect atmospheric pressure along with temperature. But if you had a MT2500 you could hook that up to the diagnostics block connector and get those sensor readings and be on your way. But if you run into any problems DO NOT hesitate to contact me.
yea ill see if we have that scan tool at school or work. but i was driving today and it only does it sometimes... usually the first 10 mins driving it then its normal. i stopped at napa today and got a price on the governer pressure sensor and its 95$... i read somehwere else about someone having a similar problem an that sensor was the solution, but the valve body was replaced too. the work was done by a dealership too so who knows what it actually needed..... im on a highschool budget so im not all for buying a valve body and 100$ sensor but im not pulling the pan again and spending all this money till i can hook it u to a scan tool. ill keep u posted though
Old 06-02-2012, 10:41 PM

Quote:
yea ill see if we have that scan tool at school or work. but i was driving today and it only does it sometimes... usually the first 10 mins driving it then its normal. i stopped at napa today and got a price on the governer pressure sensor and its 95$... i read somehwere else about someone having a similar problem an that sensor was the solution, but the valve body was replaced too. the work was done by a dealership too so who knows what it actually needed..... im on a highschool budget so im not all for buying a valve body and 100$ sensor but im not pulling the pan again and spending all this money till i can hook it u to a scan tool. ill keep u posted though
if you do need that solenoid go to www.makcotransmissionparts.com I always order from them, inexpensive and the parts are factory. as for the valve body, you don't need a replacement. maybe a rebuild but not a replacement. many people just replace the valve body because it's physically damaged or they don't want to be bothered with rebuilding it.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:24 PM

Quote:
if you do need that solenoid go to www.makcotransmissionparts.com I always order from them, inexpensive and the parts are factory. as for the valve body, you don't need a replacement. maybe a rebuild but not a replacement. many people just replace the valve body because it's physically damaged or they don't want to be bothered with rebuilding it.
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/12415C.html
http://www.makcotransmissionparts.com/S22167A.html
is this the right stuff?