DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-01-2012, 09:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1994 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Ram 1500 SLT 4x4
Color: Navy
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
itsnotfast is on a distinguished road
Default 94 Ram Stalls at Idle

Hello everyone! I'm relatively new here and really haven't used the forum much.

Recently my truck (94 Ram, 1500, 4x4, 5.2L, and manual trans) has been having some issues. A few weeks ago late at night I was driving and when I pushed the clutch in to coast to a red light the RPMs dropped and the truck just died. The tank was pretty low and I figured it was some setiment build up and filling the tank off would be a quick remedy. This was not the case. It continued to do it the rest of the night. It woudn't always die, sometimes the RPMs would just drop to 0 the pop back up to around 500 and stay there at idle. It was only that night, until a few weeks later it did it again, this time there was a half tank or more. Then last week I started it up to go to work and got about 3 miles from my house and it died and when it finally restarted it barely ran. The spark was weak so I replaced the coil pack and it was running again. The past few days it has been stalling out alot more and I'm unsure where to go from here.

The air filter, distributor cap, rotor button, wires, and plugs were all replaced about 2 months ago. Now it has a new coil pack. Yesterday I replaced the fuel pump because the guy in the parts store said it was supposed to have around 50 psi at the rail and I tested it (not running) and had about 38 LBS. The new pump does have a little more pressure but the truck runs just as bad.

Today I tried to check the resistance of the injectors but I can't get a reading. Maybe I did it wong? I unpluged the wire and tested in the 2k ohms area and got no reading. I'm thinking maybe a injector issue or TPS maybe?

Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks in advance!
Sponsored links
Old 06-01-2012, 10:05 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4X4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:100
Burkdadhemi will become famous soon enoughBurkdadhemi will become famous soon enough

did you check vaccum lines. Also does the TB have a idle adjustment screw, Also the egr valve can cause this.

MagnaFlow
Airaid Jr Kit
D/S Predator
Amsoil
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I'd replace the IAC...After you reset the computer and let it relearn. I have a '95 5.2 5 speed manual trans. AND for some reason every time I do the K3 code check it runs exactly as you stated yours does. Relearn the ECM and it runs perfect. K3, runs like crap until I reset it.

Unhook the positive side of the battery. Cycle the key to start once to do a complete pwser drain and re-hook the positive cable. If it still idles low (and pops in the exhaust) after you do that, I's replace the IAC ($45).
Old 06-01-2012, 11:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
I'd replace the IAC...After you reset the computer and let it relearn. I have a '95 5.2 5 speed manual trans. AND for some reason every time I do the K3 code check it runs exactly as you stated yours does. Relearn the ECM and it runs perfect. K3, runs like crap until I reset it.

Unhook the positive side of the battery. Cycle the key to start once to do a complete pwser drain and re-hook the positive cable. If it still idles low (and pops in the exhaust) after you do that, I's replace the IAC ($45).
What do you mean K3 code check? The CEL is not on so I haven't put my scanner on it. Tomorrow I'll probably pick up an IAC but I'd hate to keep replacing parts that are fine. I also replaced the crank position sensor when the truck broke down.

As far as the EGR valve the problem seems intermittent, wouldn't it run like crap all the time. I would think there would be more signs of this. It does seem to have been using more fuel but it doesn't run any hotter even on 90 degree days with the air on. When the engine decides its going to actually run at idle (as stated above it will drop to 0 then rise to around 500 RPMs) it does idle rough and when accelerated weather under load or not it sputters a little but seems to run smoothly at higher RPMs.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

As for the vacuum lines, I have visually checked them but I haven't checked them with ether yet. I should probably do that tomorrow as well.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:23 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

I didn't recall either of us stating that the CEL was on. And as for spending money to solve the problem, I wasn't aware of any cost involved to reset the ECM.

I was merely stating the similarities and how I was able to solve my situation. For some reason I thought that since it only takes about 3-5 minutes and doesn't cost anything you may accept an alternative to just replacing parts, and rule out the possibility that it may act as mine has and clear up.