DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics


Notices


Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:06 AM
ELAVIATOR ELAVIATOR is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Age: 25
Posts: 1
Gender: Male
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
ELAVIATOR is on a distinguished road
Default Steering Gear(Box)

I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L V8 with 4WD. I am in the middle of replacing the steering gear(box) because the seal on the output shaft on the pitman arm failed and started leaking power steering fluid. I ordered a new steering gear from parts train. My problem is this. We compared the amount of turns from lock to lock on the steering input shaft of the steering gear(boxes). The old gear turned approx. 3 and 1/4 turns from lock to lock. The new gear only turns 1 and 1/2 have turns from lock to lock. The output shaft also turns less on the new box. The part numbers and markings are identical on both. Is it possible that the stops in the old box failed? or do I have the wrong part? Any help would be great!!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
  #2  
Old 09-06-2009, 01:28 AM
CajunDodge's Avatar
CajunDodge CajunDodge is offline
Administrator




 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgan City, LA
Age: 38
Posts: 45,010
Gender: Female
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge RAM 1500
Trim Level: ST SWB Regular Cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep Power: 36
Rep:4010
CajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Well, hello and welcome to RamForumZ, since I see this is your first post! It is possible that because the old components were just plain old worn out compared to the new part, that this would contribute to the difference between the two, but so long as the part numbers were identical as you say, and everything fits back up the way it should, I don't see you having any problems. This, too, will probably loosen up over time.
__________________
CajunDodge - 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 ST SWB, Bright Silver Metallic, Magnum V-6

New to RamForumZ? Introduce yourself in the NEWBIE CHECKIN!
Need help? PM me or leave a message on my PROFILE PAGE!
Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!
Like a member's post? Let 'em know and add some REP POINTS!
Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES!

Who Dat Nation Super Bowl XLIV Champions - Geaux Saints!!!

ASE certified Automotive Parts Specialist
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-14-2009, 05:24 PM
charles charles is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Barre, MA
Posts: 1
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: 4WD Ext. cab
Color: Silver
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep Power: 0
Rep:10
charles is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Cajun and Flyboy: I'm new to Forum and have an issue with my son's (He's finishing Army AIT awaiting orders) 2001 RAM 1500 4WD. I'm changing PS gearbox due to leaking original and have loosened/disconnected all but Pitman Arm. Puller is not working, even with some heat on the link. If I had a big enough fork (ie, > 31mm) I'd use it but I haven't found one that big yet. Questions: 1. How do you guys and the pros separate the gearbox stud from the arm; (2) do the wheels need to be precisely straight ahead? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-14-2009, 06:44 PM
Toms Blue Ram 1500's Avatar
Toms Blue Ram 1500 Toms Blue Ram 1500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dundalk , Md .
Age: 50
Posts: 21,491
Gender: Male
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 19
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELAVIATOR View Post
I have a 2000 Dodge Ram with the 5.9L V8 with 4WD. I am in the middle of replacing the steering gear(box) because the seal on the output shaft on the pitman arm failed and started leaking power steering fluid. I ordered a new steering gear from parts train. My problem is this. We compared the amount of turns from lock to lock on the steering input shaft of the steering gear(boxes). The old gear turned approx. 3 and 1/4 turns from lock to lock. The new gear only turns 1 and 1/2 have turns from lock to lock. The output shaft also turns less on the new box. The part numbers and markings are identical on both. Is it possible that the stops in the old box failed? or do I have the wrong part? Any help would be great!!
1 and a 1/2 turns lock to lock isn't much . I haven't heard of a box being that quick . I would venture to say you may have a bad box . To do a reseal on your old box isn't really that hard , even now that you have the old box off . Real easy on the bench . Hardest part would be getting the pitman arm off . Need a pitman arm puller and your on your way . Let me know what you decide and if you decide on resealing I can give you some advice . I''ll be waiting to hear from ya . Good Luck . Tom P.S. Don't forget to go to the newbie section and get the official greeting to this wonderful site .
__________________

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 09-14-2009 at 06:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-14-2009, 06:50 PM
Toms Blue Ram 1500's Avatar
Toms Blue Ram 1500 Toms Blue Ram 1500 is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Dundalk , Md .
Age: 50
Posts: 21,491
Gender: Male
Vehicle: '01 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport with Off-Road
Color: Intense Blue
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep Power: 19
Rep:1588
Toms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant futureToms Blue Ram 1500 has a brilliant future
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Hi Cajun and Flyboy: I'm new to Forum and have an issue with my son's (He's finishing Army AIT awaiting orders) 2001 RAM 1500 4WD. I'm changing PS gearbox due to leaking original and have loosened/disconnected all but Pitman Arm. Puller is not working, even with some heat on the link. If I had a big enough fork (ie, > 31mm) I'd use it but I haven't found one that big yet. Questions: 1. How do you guys and the pros separate the gearbox stud from the arm; (2) do the wheels need to be precisely straight ahead? Many thanks.
Don't forget to lock your steering wheel in position or you could damage your airbag or have something go "POP" To do a reseal on your old box isn't really that hard . You can do the reseal on the truck . Hardest part would be getting the pitman arm off . Need a pitman arm puller and your on your way . Let me know if your interested in resealing it . I''ll be waiting to hear from ya . Good Luck . Tom P.S. Don't forget to go to the newbie section and get the official welcoming to this great website .
__________________

Last edited by Toms Blue Ram 1500; 09-14-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-14-2009, 09:03 PM
MRRMX MRRMX is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 145
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Ram Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:12
MRRMX is on a distinguished road
Default

You have a pitman arm puller? if you do, tighten it up as tight as it will go.
hit the puller on the head of the threaded bolt head. Use a 3 lb hammer and give it a good health wrap. If done correctly it will pop on the first hit. Heating a steering componant is a no no where ever I worked. Whats your
son doing for a MOS(job)?





Quote:
Originally Posted by charles View Post
Hi Cajun and Flyboy: I'm new to Forum and have an issue with my son's (He's finishing Army AIT awaiting orders) 2001 RAM 1500 4WD. I'm changing PS gearbox due to leaking original and have loosened/disconnected all but Pitman Arm. Puller is not working, even with some heat on the link. If I had a big enough fork (ie, > 31mm) I'd use it but I haven't found one that big yet. Questions: 1. How do you guys and the pros separate the gearbox stud from the arm; (2) do the wheels need to be precisely straight ahead? Many thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-15-2009, 02:05 AM
CajunDodge's Avatar
CajunDodge CajunDodge is offline
Administrator




 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Morgan City, LA
Age: 38
Posts: 45,010
Gender: Female
Vehicle: 2008 Dodge RAM 1500
Trim Level: ST SWB Regular Cab
Color: Bright Silver Metallic
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep Power: 36
Rep:4010
CajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond reputeCajunDodge has a reputation beyond repute
Default

Hello, Charles, sorry to hear about your problems. Looks like the advice here is good so far, and MRRMX has a good point about not heating the steering components. Rather than buying a different puller, especially if you don't plan on doing this kind of work regularly, some of your local auto parts stores rent them, and might have what you need. I have heard of people using the bigger forks, like for your ball joints, just never done that myself, but there again, if you go to a parts store, hopefully someone can give you a recommendation.

What I can say is that when the pitman seal went out on my '81 D150, it was a pain in the backside to get that thing loose, and yeah, you can hammer it alright, and guess I didn't whack it good enough, lol, but after a few choice words, tighten the puller, hammer again, (have a beverage, lol), and several repeat attempts later, FINALLY, we got it (this was a team effort). Only afterwards did someone suggest marvel mystery oil to help because ours was so old.

Good luck, and let us know how you come out!

-Cajun
__________________
CajunDodge - 2008 Dodge RAM 1500 ST SWB, Bright Silver Metallic, Magnum V-6

New to RamForumZ? Introduce yourself in the NEWBIE CHECKIN!
Need help? PM me or leave a message on my PROFILE PAGE!
Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!
Like a member's post? Let 'em know and add some REP POINTS!
Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES!

Who Dat Nation Super Bowl XLIV Champions - Geaux Saints!!!

ASE certified Automotive Parts Specialist

Last edited by CajunDodge; 09-15-2009 at 02:53 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-15-2009, 08:24 PM
MRRMX MRRMX is offline
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Western NY
Posts: 145
Gender: Male
Vehicle: 2007 Ram Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: grey
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep Power: 0
Rep:12
MRRMX is on a distinguished road
Default

Auto Zone and Advance Auto has free loaner




Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunDodge View Post
Hello, Charles, sorry to hear about your problems. Looks like the advice here is good so far, and MRRMX has a good point about not heating the steering components. Rather than buying a different puller, especially if you don't plan on doing this kind of work regularly, some of your local auto parts stores rent them, and might have what you need. I have heard of people using the bigger forks, like for your ball joints, just never done that myself, but there again, if you go to a parts store, hopefully someone can give you a recommendation.

What I can say is that when the pitman seal went out on my '81 D150, it was a pain in the backside to get that thing loose, and yeah, you can hammer it alright, and guess I didn't whack it good enough, lol, but after a few choice words, tighten the puller, hammer again, (have a beverage, lol), and several repeat attempts later, FINALLY, we got it (this was a team effort). Only afterwards did someone suggest marvel mystery oil to help because ours was so old.

Good luck, and let us know how you come out!

-Cajun
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
steering gear

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


Advertisement






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.


= Copyright RamForumZ.com a Gigathreads.com Network Site =Ad Management by RedTyger
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vB.Sponsors


=Gigathreads Network=
CLUBS MOPAR NATION DSM GPMM MAMM JAM
DIESEL Diesel Forum      
CHEVY Chevy Camaro Forum Chevy Volt Forum    
CHRYSLER Chrysler 300C Forum      
DODGE Dodge Avenger Forum Dodge Caliber Forum Dodge Challenger Forum Dodge Charger Forum
  Dodge Circuit Forum Dodge Hornet Forum Dodge Magnum Forum Dodge Nitro Forum
  Dodge Ram Forum Dodge Dakota Forum Dodge Durango Forum Dodge Dart Forum
FORD Ford Raptor Forum Ford F150 Forum Ford F100 Forum  
JEEP Jeep Forum      
PONTIAC Pontiac G8 Forum      
SRT SRT Viper Forum SRT Cuda Forum