DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-13-2012, 03:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
j6harris is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Wow man. Most of the changes that you noticed between those fuels is in your head. Using 93 octane instead of 89 octane on the hemi will not give you any more power or mpg(at any rpm). It will help promote carbon buildup, though. This is assuming it's running the stock tune.

It's been discussed a million times, and there are reasons behind it. The hemi will run on 87 no problem. It will produce slightly more power and mpg on 89. Slightly does mean slightly; switching from 87 to 89 won't give you 50hp so you can beat your buddy's chevy. The difference likely isn't even noticeable to the driver(maybe 5hp?). Anything more than 89 is just throwing money away and promoting carbon buildup, so you'd actually be doing better for the engine and your wallet to put 89 in instead of 93.

Now I will say that I have no idea what oxygenated or non oxygenated fuel is...so I won't comment on that other than I guarantee you didn't doubled your mpg with it...
i never said more horsepower ... your knock sensor automatically changes your timing... octane rating is the rating in which the fuel is resistant to burn.. so if i'm using 93 my timing will be different than if i'm using 87 and thats where the change in acceleration and how the vehicle performs is coming from depending on how hard or not hard i'm driving it... basically at full trottle its firing like it would be at idle because the fuel is able to take the beating and not detonate.. it is noticable.. i physically did all of this myself.. i didnt just read it somewhere and blah blah blah to everyone in the forum.

oxygenated fuel is gasoline that has additives like ethanols.. 90% of fuel in america is oxygenated now

non oxygenated fuel is gas.. it is more efficent than oxygenated fuel but more corrosive. oxygenated fuel is more succeptable to water contamination so non oxygenated fuel is recommended for small engines, boats, and collector cars because of its resistance to moisture. its basically gas like gas was back in the 60s after they got rid of leaded gasoline.

Last edited by j6harris; 06-13-2012 at 03:18 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yes your timing will be different if you use 93 vs 87; it will be the same as if you use 89.

What you're saying is only true to the limits that the computer is set to adjust for as far as timing. The engine is designed for 89. Running 91 or 93 will not give more timing advance on stock tune. Yes if you switch from 87 to 89 you will have more timing advance. But not from 89 to 91(because the truck is programmed to run on 89, that's it's limit with stock tuning).

That's how aftermarket tuning companies get more power out of the engines is by running higher octane fuel and more timing advance. If the computer did this automatically from the factory then there'd be no market for aftermarket tuners.

Also, knock sensors ONLY retard timing, not advance it. The timing advance is preset, and does not increase, it only decreases when the knock sensors detect detonation. Then if the detonation stops(higher octane fuel is put in the gas tank, or lighter load is put on the engine) the timing returns to the original preset. It will not advance more based on higher octane fuel.

Ethanol free fuel is definitely a plus IMO, for several reasons.

I will say though that I ran 4 tanks of 91 ethanal free fuel through my truck and MAYBE gained 1 mpg, but more likely it was due to different driving routes, etc. I went back to regular 10% ehtanol fuel because the only station with ethanol free fuel was out of the way and it was the same price as the 93 blend I can get everywhere, and I get more power with 93.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.

Last edited by snrusnak; 06-13-2012 at 03:23 PM.
Old 06-13-2012, 03:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 ram 1500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
j6harris is on a distinguished road

good info to know