DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-12-2012, 07:54 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 Ram
Rep:141
newfiebullet will become famous soon enoughnewfiebullet will become famous soon enough

my towing trip is over, unfortunately my air bags didnt show up, did matter to much as you will see in the pic, the WD bars really made a difference.the weather wasn't great30-35 mph winds rain off an on, a little wiggly haha. kept my speed down, limit was 100 i dont think i broke 80, also didn't go much under 75 maybe once . she can pull, its a weird feeling you you push the gas and she dosent take off . specs on trailer turned out to be 8680 lbs. i had nothing extra in her or the truck so i barely stayed within my tow rating. i wouldn't want to do it very often. she pull 1500 rpm on the flat , 2200-2500 on most grades and the steeper ones 3500 rpm was the highest she went and slowly started picking up speed at that rpm. there were a hell of a lot more hills than i remembered. normals for my temps are , 96 for water 95 for oil and 54 for trans. max i hit was 102 on water 106 on oil and 63 on trans....75% of the trip it was 98 water , 100 oil and 60 trans. very pleased. but she likes the gas, avg about 8.5-9 mpg, not bad considering the hills.. set the trailer brake on 3.5 in the end seemed to be the happy place, used tow haul the whole way and air my tires to 45 psi, ( max is 50)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trailer1.jpg (109.6 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg trailer2.jpg (110.9 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg trailer3.jpg (51.3 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg trailer4.jpg (94.0 KB, 34 views)
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 ram 1500 outdoorsman
Trim Level: outdoorsman
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:12
itsreese is on a distinguished road

Glad you enjoyed the trip!
I have an 11 Outdoorsman and i have a toyahuler/travel trailer, thats total weight is 9800 lbs (full of gear) 6000 lbs empty. I use a WD hitch and she has no problems. That hemi will pull WAY more than what you are rated for, its your transmission that cant handle it, mixed with your GCVW of a standard cab, and the fact that you probably only have the 3.55 gears.

bottom line, keep an eye on that trans oil temp and rpms and youre fine. as far as your MPGeees, welcome to the hemi. she has balls for days, but wont go into MDS while towing, so she uses all 380 HP.. all day. I have towed a Jayco Jayflight at 4600 lbs, and a 95 camaro on a flatbed and any time i towed either i was hard pressed to get 13mpg.. downhill with the wind at my back. i usually get 10-12 towing.

and lastly i d like to second RESCUE1 on the cummins angle. unless you tow every day. its a money pit. go to ramtrucks.com... the 2500 cummins is only rated to tow 13000 lbs, 3K more than the hemi, the 3500 is rated at 16K i think. thats not a lot ox extra capacity for increased maintenance, increased fuel prices, and a 7K whopper of an engine option. go 2500 if you need increaded bed payload capacity (fifth wheel) or if you tow every day. the cummins unloaded doesnt even get that much better mpg than the hemi on the highway daily. loaded is where she has a benefit when i get 10mpg a cummins will get over 16 loaded up.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:41 PM

newfiebullet will become famous soon enoughnewfiebullet will become famous soon enough

with the cold air intake and exhaust i figger im pokein 400 hp, 390 stock, i have 3.92 gears and its a 4wd. tranny temp went up 10 degrees at the highest point, i thought that was great i hit 64. the old mans chev hits 84 haha.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Quad Cab 4 x 4
Trim Level: SLT Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Water Blue Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
CanuckHRAM is on a distinguished road

Glad your trip went okay. I'm really impressed with how well your truck handles the weight of that big trailer hitched on to it. Your WD hitch system really did work well.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:07 AM

yeah i got a lot of strange looks when people were passin me haha