DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-19-2012, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
MerlinsRam is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Control Relay / ASD fuse

Hey all,
A couple of weeks ago I was on the other side of town and my 2004 3.7L Ram hiccuped a couple of times in traffic (felt like shut down and then ran again) and after a few minutes of tooling around a parking lot it just died. The engine turned over, lights worked, all that but I don't think the ignition system was working.
I had to get a tow and not knowing the area, relied on the tow truck driver to take the truck to a shop.
The shop "diagnosed" the problem, fixed it and it ran fine for 2 weeks when it did the same with the same symptoms.
I looked in the fuse panel and find they've replaced the "Engine Control Relay / ASD" fuse (supposed to be 30 amp) with a 40 amp.
So, I'm guessing that whatever part caused the fuse to pop has now died since the 40 amp fuse is still good.
I think the ASD system is ok because because I can hear the fuel pump running when the key is switched on and the relay itself (big rectagular black one in the fuse panel) seems to be fine, swapped with the electric brake relay (same number).
My question is what would have caused the engine controlrelay /ASD fuse to pop in the first place?
Thanks.
Sponsored links
Old 06-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram Quad
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
MerlinsRam is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Control Relay / ASD fuse update

Just wanted to post the remedy for my problem.

I couldn't afford to have my truck sitting and waiting for me to figure it out, which wasn't likely it turns out.
I had it hauled to a local mechanic and they found that an a/c line had been bent (rear right side of engine compartment) and this allow the bundled wires to rub against the line, wearing through the insulation and shorting out a wire that connects the crank and cam sensors. This ruined those sensors.
Only the dealer (free oil changes) and I have ever worked on this truck so I think the line may have been bent before I purchased it, maybe at the factory.
So, take a look around under the hood for wire bundles that might be resting against something else. I would have thought this would happen but I guees even a little bit of friction over enough time will cause problems.
Thanks.