DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > V10 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003 DODGE RAM 2500 V10
Engine: 2003-2003 488ci (8.0L) Magnum V10 310hp 450lb/ft
Rep:10
BEARKILLER is on a distinguished road
Default 2003 dodge ram 2500 V10 rear end

I bought the above truck in August. It's a quad cab if it makes a difference. Anyway, the truck doesn't get driven alot. Weekends only. Mostly hunting. Since I bought it there has been some vibration (almost jumping) under light acceleration only. Only when the truck had been driven a while not while just putting around town. It seems worse when the wheels are turned sharp. It seemed to be coming from the rear end. About a month ago I got tired of it and took it to the local shop and had it and a couple other "minor" things fixed. He said it was "tight" ujoints on the rear drive line. So I had him change them out. I didn't drive the truck much until Easter weekend but I didn't notice it anymore. We took the truck to Washington state, about a thousand miles. In the middle of the trip I noticed the vibration again. After probably 600 miles of high speed interstate speeds with little stopping. After we got there and everything got cooled down it seemed to be better but on the way back, same thing. Yesterday we went bear hunting and there wasn't alot of high speed stuff but the truck was driven basically from 3 am until 6pm non stop. It started vibrating again and this time when I got on the highway it was vibrating at higher speeds, also. Not bad but almost like a ujoint would(they're brand new). When I got home I could smell what seemed to be hot gear oil near the back of the truck. The question is this. Is it more than likely the rearend? Should it just be replaced? Or could I try replacing certain components including all of the gear oil? If it is worth changing a component, what should I change? Sorry for the novel, I hate posts with no details.
Sponsored links
Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

I used to have this problem on my front d shaft when I didn't use 4x4 for a while. Hard to find ujoints anymore that have any grease in them and are any good. The smell could also be the little bit of grease boiling out of the joints. Check your slip yoke and hanger bearing if you have them, maybe see how much oil is in the rear diff.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"