DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-25-2012, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:13
RamSport1996 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 46re trans install problem PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi im having trouble putting my transmission back into my ram. It feels like it lines up on the spline and then it stops about an inch away from where it needs to be, been under there for 2 days now and its starting to get really frustrating Would it help if i jack the motor up while doing the same with the trans or no? But help would really be appreciated thanks
Sponsored links
Old 06-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamSport1996 View Post
Hi im having trouble putting my transmission back into my ram. It feels like it lines up on the spline and then it stops about an inch away from where it needs to be, been under there for 2 days now and its starting to get really frustrating Would it help if i jack the motor up while doing the same with the trans or no? But help would really be appreciated thanks
Originally when you removed the transmission you should of put some sort of engine support under there. If it's an automatic the torque converter should be installed onto the transmission before you install the transmission to the truck. The only issue I ever have installing these transmissions is the jack isn't always level so when I go and push the transmission up to the black the alignment dowels won't line up so I can to use my leg to push up on the tail of the transmission while man handling the transmission onto the block, well not literally man handling but I have to work it in.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry about your issue

I would bet that the Torque Converter isn't properly seated
when it was slid onto the transmission shaft, it can feel like it is slid on ALL the way, it will even sound like it is, a good solid clucking sound, BUT, you can then slightly rotate it & it will further slide onto the shaft about an inch.
As you are trying to slide the transmission up to the engine block, the torque converter will slide forward again, UNLESS you use something to hold the torque converter fully onto the transmission shaft.

read this whole article, at least skim over it
the part that you really need to pay attention to is close to the next to the Last image, & the image itself.
My tool was a bit different than what is shown, i took a old combination wrench, sawed it in half, bolted the wrench end to a bolt & used the stubbed off end to hold the torque converter in the fully seated position.
After the transmission was in the mounted position & snugged up with a couple bolts, i removed the homemade tool & finished the job
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../torqconv.html
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 06-25-2012, 05:08 PM

ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Sorry about your issue

I would bet that the Torque Converter isn't properly seated
when it was slid onto the transmission shaft, it can feel like it is slid on ALL the way, it will even sound like it is, a good solid clucking sound, BUT, you can then slightly rotate it & it will further slide onto the shaft about an inch.
As you are trying to slide the transmission up to the engine block, the torque converter will slide forward again, UNLESS you use something to hold the torque converter fully onto the transmission shaft.

read this whole article, at least skim over it
the part that you really need to pay attention to is close to the next to the Last image, & the image itself.
My tool was a bit different than what is shown, i took a old combination wrench, sawed it in half, bolted the wrench end to a bolt & used the stubbed off end to hold the torque converter in the fully seated position.
After the transmission was in the mounted position & snugged up with a couple bolts, i removed the homemade tool & finished the job
http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../torqconv.html
He doesn't even have to really go through all that, as long as he keeps the nose of the transmission down on the stand he should be fine, it's best practice to use a c-clamp to hold the converter in place while you position the transmission for installation then remove the clamp and install.

Anyways to ensure the torque converter is seated fully into the lugs of the pump gear there should be about 1/2" space between the bell housing mating surface and the torque converter pads.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 1999 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: sport
Color: black
Rep:13
RamSport1996 is on a distinguished road

Ok i finally got it on On the new trans inside the spline there was actually two prongs that needed to be lined up with the output shaft on the motor. It was such a pain in the ass
Old 06-26-2012, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamSport1996 View Post
Ok i finally got it on On the new trans inside the spline there was actually two prongs that needed to be lined up with the output shaft on the motor. It was such a pain in the ass
Well it's your first time, but way to get it all fixed up.