DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:59 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezertrunner View Post
Get a spindle lift and you'll have that stance.
4x4 here, and all the new knuckles Ive seen dont push the front end out really. I enjoy the look of trucks that have mid/long travel arms w/ coilovers, like I plan on doing.

And if i remember right, the RamRunner kit comes with arms that do it the RIGHT way and stick the tires out farther via control arms not spindles

Quote:
Sure, but it is going to cost a lot. There is no aftermarket for Dodge trucks. And I'm not talking about "lift kits" and universal bolt on junk. For arms, fabricated spindles, brakes, basic coilovers, hydraulic bump stops and materials you are looking at around $5000 plus labor. Installed it would be probably closer to $9000. That's just the front end. You would need at least deavers in the rear with all required accessories. Engine cage/cab cage/bedcage.

To build a weekend racer it costs about $30,000 on average. To build a trophy truck, its more like $800,000 - $1,000,000.
Find me Deavers for a 4th gen...

You can build a very capable on and offroad truck that 99% of people can use to THEIR fullest abilities without anywhere near maxing out the truck without coilovers and cages and pneumatic bump stops and all that shit. Id bet 9/10 people on this forum couldnt drive the RamRunner to its fullest abilities offroad anyway!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantman View Post
Wow, man thanks for the wake up call for some of us brokenutz. Hahaha! I guess I'll keep saving for it then. Appreciate ya speakin info bud. By the way what d'ya think of this upper control arm by Michigan Metal Works for $499? They are produced from HD .750 plate flat steel, and fully TIG welded. The arms feature a 1" Spherical bearing as well as new poly bushings and bolt sleeves. Each pair of arms come with everything needed to install them on our Ram trucks, and solve the stock control arm problem with contacting the coilover spring pocket. They come with a lifetime guarantee and they say are made to take a beating!!!! Your professional opinion man?
The MichiganMetal Works arms are awesome. Ive seen a few sets in person and installed one of their old F150 arm kits on a customers vehicle at the lats shop I work at. I plan on running them on my truck once my coilovers come in.

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING

Last edited by SS4Luck; 06-27-2012 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:53 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Ram
Trim Level: Base
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:11
dezertrunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Wow, man thanks for the wake up call for some of us brokenutz. Hahaha! I guess I'll keep saving for it then. Appreciate ya speakin info bud. By the way what d'ya think of this upper control arm by Michigan Metal Works for $499? They are produced from HD .750 plate flat steel, and fully TIG welded. The arms feature a 1" Spherical bearing as well as new poly bushings and bolt sleeves. Each pair of arms come with everything needed to install them on our Ram trucks, and solve the stock control arm problem with contacting the coilover spring pocket. They come with a lifetime guarantee and they say are made to take a beating!!!! Your professional opinion man?
That looks well made. I would definitely trust it in the dirt, but I wouldn't jump on it. Reason being is that without a reinforced chassis and significantly built suspension, the weight of that truck will just tear your front end apart at a high rate of speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
4x4 here, and all the new knuckles Ive seen dont push the front end out really. I enjoy the look of trucks that have mid/long travel arms w/ coilovers, like I plan on doing.

And if i remember right, the RamRunner kit comes with arms that do it the RIGHT way and stick the tires out farther via control arms not spindles

Find me Deavers for a 4th gen...

You can build a very capable on and offroad truck that 99% of people can use to THEIR fullest abilities without anywhere near maxing out the truck without coilovers and cages and pneumatic bump stops and all that shit. Id bet 9/10 people on this forum couldnt drive the RamRunner to its fullest abilities offroad anyway!
I think you missed the point of my post. The Ramrunner was designed to compete with the Raptor. The Raptor was built for the desert crowd, most people don't realize that. It isn't a go slow 4x4 mud truck. On the flip side, it is NOT a race truck, it is simply a pickup with improved capabilities.

There is no point in wasting your money on either one of them. Everything you see can be fabricated for less money, and be the "real thing." The Raptor and Ramrunner EMULATE the "real thing", however the performance is far from. A Raptor cycles about 11 inches in the front. My 01 Ram cycles 8" from the factory. My Race truck cycles 19" in the front and 24" in the rear. See where I am going here?

Give me $8,000 and a Ranger and I can build you a competitive race truck. Give me $8,000 and a Ram, and I can build you some decent front suspension and that's about it. Full size = full size pricetag.

The Ramrunner and Raptor are slightly modified factory trucks, nothing more.

Last edited by dezertrunner; 06-27-2012 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 09:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

First off, I want to say sorry to frickenbored for going a bit off topic on the RamRunner thread; my bad bud. Secondly, I want to thank SS4Luck and dezertrunner for your honest opinions on the MMW upper A-Arms. Greatly appreciated brothers!
Old 06-27-2012, 09:56 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

Quote:
First off, I want to say sorry to frickenbored for going a bit off topic on the RamRunner thread; my bad bud. Secondly, I want to thank SS4Luck and dezertrunner for your honest opinions on the MMW upper A-Arms. Greatly appreciated brothers!
It's all good man

Old 07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
Silver Beast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Fiberglass fenders are $500 for a pair. That is no "push" bar, That's a skid plate. "other crap"??

They would never outsell Raptors. Chrysler doesn't sell as many trucks in five years as Ford does in one.

Grossly was an understatement, INSANELY is closer to the mark. I wouldn't even call that a mid travel kit. It's just a glorified lift. And Yes I have priced parts, I am part owner of a shop that builds race vehicles. Here is my race truck.

Good job, you officially have no idea what you are talking about.
i'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about but you really don't have to be a dick about the subject
Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2008 Ram 1500 Hemi QC 4wd
345cube is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Beast View Post
i'm not saying you don't know what you're talking about but you really don't have to be a dick about the subject
I think DezertRunner is a little biased because he builds this stuff for a living and is used to seeing what parts cost suppliers. As a person who doesn't have the skills to fabricate myself and just want a bolt on/couple of welds kit, I still think the pricing isn't bad. Looking at some of the kits offered for the Ranger, it can easily go past $7k for a long travel kit that yields 17" of front wheel travel just for the front only.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345cube View Post
I think DezertRunner is a little biased because he builds this stuff for a living and is used to seeing what parts cost suppliers. As a person who doesn't have the skills to fabricate myself and just want a bolt on/couple of welds kit, I still think the pricing isn't bad. Looking at some of the kits offered for the Ranger, it can easily go past $7k for a long travel kit that yields 17" of front wheel travel just for the front only.
Lmao, you guys just don't get it. For $50,000 the RamRunner offers less then a foot of wheel travel in the front, and maybe 14" in the rear.

For $50,000 you can buy a fully caged and race ready Ranger/F150/Silverado/Frontier/Tacoma with 20"+ in the front and near 30" in the rear.

See why I find it so ridiculous?
Old 07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Silver
Silver Beast is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Lmao, you guys just don't get it. For $50,000 the RamRunner offers less then a foot of wheel travel in the front, and maybe 14" in the rear.

For $50,000 you can buy a fully caged and race ready Ranger/F150/Silverado/Frontier/Tacoma with 20"+ in the front and near 30" in the rear.

See why I find it so ridiculous?

I know what you are saying it's just the way you come across in saying it...i'm not stupid i get what you are saying and i see you have experience in this matter, just chill out with the offense posture.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:10 PM
Banned

Offensive posture? What is this football?

Play to win, play for keeps.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:16 PM

Vehicle: 2012 R/T, 2000 Ram Off Road
Trim Level: R/T / Larmie
Color: Black
Rep:73
frickenbored will become famous soon enough

ok then...can we say that the ram runner is pretty sweet, unless your part of the 1% of people in the world who build pre-runners for a living?

Closed Thread