DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 06-30-2012, 11:04 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Ram 1500 5.2L
Color: Silver/gray
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
seabee87 is on a distinguished road
Default tranny rebuild recommendations?

So I have a 00 Ram 1500 5.2L with about 220k miles on it. Its looking like I may need to get a rebuild and a new torque converter. I was wondering if there are any recommendations on either of these items. I plan on building this truck up into a moderate off roader. I'm no mechanic but I have replaced brakes, calipers, wheel bearings, and radiator. I don't think I have the skills or the tools or time to do this myself but I would like to have some slightly beefier upgrades installed by the guys at the shop that would be durable enough for my future off road endeavors. Any advice would be much appreciated. I was looking at the Hughes HD torque converter, but the overhaul kits were around $500 and I'm not sure I need something that high in performance. other rebuild kits were around $100-200.
Sponsored links
Old 07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by seabee87 View Post
So I have a 00 Ram 1500 5.2L with about 220k miles on it. Its looking like I may need to get a rebuild and a new torque converter. I was wondering if there are any recommendations on either of these items. I plan on building this truck up into a moderate off roader. I'm no mechanic but I have replaced brakes, calipers, wheel bearings, and radiator. I don't think I have the skills or the tools or time to do this myself but I would like to have some slightly beefier upgrades installed by the guys at the shop that would be durable enough for my future off road endeavors. Any advice would be much appreciated. I was looking at the Hughes HD torque converter, but the overhaul kits were around $500 and I'm not sure I need something that high in performance. other rebuild kits were around $100-200.
I build and modify these TF's, If you want my professional and personal use opinion. Lay down the extra bucks for good parts.

For the basic rebuild just get these below brand items.
Transtec Overhaul Kit
Alto Red Eagle Frictions
Alto Kolene Steels
Raybestos Rear Band
BorgWarner Front Band
New Bearings
New Bushings

Replace all Planets (Alot of builders will yell at me saying it's expensive to do so especially if the parts are still good but it does suck if 100K miles down the road those parts kick the bucket)

Get the Sonnax Manual and PR valve
Get an auxiliary transmission cooler
Remove the anti-drain valve

I could give you a full list with part numbers but I have already posted that on this site, a little searching through the site and you should find it.

But if you have any questions please feel free to ask, I know I'm missing some parts but for the most part those are the items you are going to have to replace.