DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-12-2012, 07:28 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram rt
Trim Level: rt
Color: brilliant black pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1061
dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Would work better if you weren't using that shitty fender air inlet run a tube up from the bottom makes it breath so much better
Old 07-12-2012, 07:36 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgert View Post
Would work better if you weren't using that shitty fender air inlet run a tube up from the bottom makes it breath so much better

S&B Filters are working on a Scoop similar to THIS for the intake in this review.... so the honeymoon's not over just yet.

Grub out!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:46 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Metallic Grey
Rep:29
RAM-RT is on a distinguished road

Very nice review. Im trying to decide if I want this intake or the Vararam.
Old 07-12-2012, 09:18 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Rep:10
DeeKaeKae is on a distinguished road

Good read...thanks for the reveiw!
Old 07-13-2012, 06:07 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearl
blackram12 is on a distinguished road

Can't wait for the scoop to be finished.

I just got in and will write some more and probaly post up some more pic's tomorrow. I was so short on time this afternoon that it wasn't even funny. I tore the stock intake out this morning and UPS usually runs around 2:30pm but today it was after 4 before he arrived. So that put me in a bind getting everything back together before leaving for work. So later today I will get some more time in on the intake and just double check that everything is tight.

But like I said, Grub's review is pretty much spot on. The intake quality is top notch. The directions are perfect and very easy to understand. The performance gains are there as well. It isn't like a 100hp shot of NOS, but it can be felt. The biggest gain to me in my short trip was the throttle response. From take off to getting back into the throttle at 50mph it was a lot more snappy compared to stock. After another few days I will update my how much fuel economy I gained but I already picked up almost 2mpg since the exhaust was installed. I'm also getting closer to 3k miles and have already changed the oil. So maybe its a combination of the engine breaking in and mod's that are boosting my mpg's.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:26 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Nice to hear and thanks for posting.

I'm gonna' give it another month or two before I update the MPG gains (or lack there of) but after very brief calculations with about 300 miles accumulated since the install, things look promising.

I've got a couple of lengthy trips coming up in the next month so, by about the end of August, I'll have accumulated about 3K total since installing the intake. This will represent a more precise MPG gains and/or losses to post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackram12 View Post
Can't wait for the scoop to be finished.

I just got in and will write some more and probaly post up some more pic's tomorrow. I was so short on time this afternoon that it wasn't even funny. I tore the stock intake out this morning and UPS usually runs around 2:30pm but today it was after 4 before he arrived. So that put me in a bind getting everything back together before leaving for work. So later today I will get some more time in on the intake and just double check that everything is tight.

But like I said, Grub's review is pretty much spot on. The intake quality is top notch. The directions are perfect and very easy to understand. The performance gains are there as well. It isn't like a 100hp shot of NOS, but it can be felt. The biggest gain to me in my short trip was the throttle response. From take off to getting back into the throttle at 50mph it was a lot more snappy compared to stock. After another few days I will update my how much fuel economy I gained but I already picked up almost 2mpg since the exhaust was installed. I'm also getting closer to 3k miles and have already changed the oil. So maybe its a combination of the engine breaking in and mod's that are boosting my mpg's.

Grub out!
Old 07-13-2012, 01:31 PM

dodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud ofdodgert has much to be proud of

Lol im sure it will cost more then the 45 i paid to make my own scoop / but same principle
Old 07-13-2012, 04:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram Laramie 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
KevinGoodyear is on a distinguished road

Wow! I just bought a 2009 4x4 Laramie with 60K miles and all I have done is put a K&N drop in, after watching and reading all the posts (good and not so good), I am sold on the SB CAI...thought K&N was the shit for the longest (ran a set up on my Ford F150, and did not like the open filter design...hot air being injested did not make sense to me)...you have done such a great service to the Dodge community...Kudo's to you! Have a question though...what made you decide to use the "rechargeable" , air cleaner versus the dry? Also, what other changes could you recommend to someone like me (and others Im sure) if we wanted to make some mod to our trucks? Thanks, Kevin in Dallas
Old 07-13-2012, 05:45 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black Pearl
blackram12 is on a distinguished road

The cleanable filter flows 36.5% better then stock and the dry filter is 35.4% better so thats why I picked the oiled filter. Not to mention if you travel any dirt roads or are around a lot of dust its easy to clean and maintain the filter compared to buying another dry filter.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGoodyear View Post
Wow! I just bought a 2009 4x4 Laramie with 60K miles and all I have done is put a K&N drop in, after watching and reading all the posts (good and not so good), I am sold on the SB CAI...thought K&N was the shit for the longest (ran a set up on my Ford F150, and did not like the open filter design...hot air being injested did not make sense to me)...you have done such a great service to the Dodge community...Kudo's to you! Have a question though...what made you decide to use the "rechargeable" , air cleaner versus the dry? Also, what other changes could you recommend to someone like me (and others Im sure) if we wanted to make some mod to our trucks? Thanks, Kevin in Dallas
Why do you say hot air its not hot the hood seals the box and the aire is pumped up through the fender ( unless you use my set up with a scoop and tube injecting it the air) so all the cia are really the same weather its sealed or not. Because once the hood is closed its sealed but bottom line a cia is not going to give you major performance upgrade. So why spend 600 when youll get the same results for 200