DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.9L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-08-2012, 11:57 PM
SPLITTER

Default 2001 ram mystery

New to forum. 2001 ram 5.9 gas.....hd sport.....3 wks ago bogged down when cold from startup....backfire out intake hose...after 10m or so went away....repl wires/cap/rotor/plugs/map...ran like a champ for 3 days....same thing again.....repl iat and tps....fine for one day....started up today and ran fine...drove 10mi....sat for 4hrs....started up again and idle dropped to rough....same bog/backfire....only in the first 10m.....ambient temp then 60...ambient temp now 90...same deal.....only code 1740 trans....only does it in the first 10m or 2-4mi and under load.....acts like timing, but tk runs like a champ once its over the hickups....what would be intermittent but only in the first few min after start? Coolant temp sens? Crankcase sens? This thing is killing me. I'm not a mechanic but logic tells me its not fuel. Once again...no codes except p1740.
Sponsored links
Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 AM
SPLITTER

Forgot to say.....thx to all for the forum, and thx for any insight you may have......d
Old 07-11-2012, 12:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:86
SnoopyIsMyHero will become famous soon enough

I'm thinking gasket\vacuum leak. Once it warms up, the metal expands and seals the leak but while cold, it leaks. Start it up and go over everything with a can of carb cleaner or a unlit propane torch. If it smooths out, you've found your problem.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:42 AM
SPLITTER

Thx snoop. I've heard a lot about vac leaks but have not tried that yet. Its weird that sometimes its on from start up on....other times it'll do the bad stuff....ran fine for my daughter today....sat for 4hrs and i just ran it and its back again.....bad juju for the first 1-3 miles then ok....i'll try the leak test and let you know. Thx for the reply...you're the only one so far...d
Old 07-14-2012, 02:23 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2001 1500/1982 D150
Trim Level: Base
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:21
ramfam is on a distinguished road

Well found code (I think) po 1740 isnot in book or comuter program. But its telling me po 740 would be torque converter clutch malfunction or shift silonoid. Or code po174 would be systen to lean bank 2. That would explan back fire issues look for leak on I think right side of intake. Or test for bad injectors.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:21 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1996 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: WS
Color: Black
Engine: 1994-1997 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 230hp
Rep:103
panhead will become famous soon enoughpanhead will become famous soon enough

When was the last time you replaced the O2 sensors? Are they the originals?

I am completely disgusted every time I think about having to take a distributor cap off of one of these trucks -Screamintrashcan
Old 07-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 gas
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Green over Silver
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
1998ram2500 is on a distinguished road
Default Sounds familiar

It sounds much like a problem I just fixed on my 2500. The upstream O2 sensor controls a bunch of fuel and air related stuff from shortly after startup until the engine is hot. When that O2 sensor is dead or dying it may not throw a code but will adversly affect performance and idle when warming up. If it happens again turn the ignition key to off and then back on and if the symptoms dissapear for about 30 seconds or so it is very likely the upstream O2 sensor.
I had rough idle and a huge sucking noise at the intake only during warmup (not instantly, it would develop and then resolve over about 5 minutes or so) and performed the test described above. Once I knew that I put in a new $60 O2 sensor and it runs smooth from start to finish now. I hope that is what your problem is becuase it is a very easy fix.

Corey