DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2009 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2009 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2009 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 04-01-2012, 02:58 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:19
1RamRunner is on a distinguished road
Default Extended Warranty ???? $$$$

Hi,
I have an '09 with less than 10k miles and it came with the Lifetime warranty on power train. Should I look at an extended warranty if I plan on keeping the truck? If so, what will I need that for if I already have Lifetime?
Jim
Sponsored links
Old 04-01-2012, 04:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2589
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I bought my '09 in February of '09
I also have the Drive train warranty

when i bought my Ram, i also had what they call the Added Care warranty, i had a choice of 5 year, 6 year, 7 year, or 10 year. I bought the 7 year or XX amount of miles. ( I typed that to give you a reference point )

You get a 3 year or 36,000 mile factory warranty, whether you get the Basic Care warranty or not. This warranty is the KEY, before you reach 3 years or 36,000 miles, which ever comes first, you have to make a decision about Extended Warranties.

At 34,000 miles, i talked to my Service Writer & he told me what to expect & to go see the Warranty guy in the Sales Dept. ( my body tensed up in preparation, i don't like handing out my $$$ )

The Warranty guy still remembered me from the purchase of the Ram, i didn't like him the first time, because he never gave me a straight answer.
Well this time he told me how it works

What ever warranty that you have, besides the Factory Warranty, is Pro Rated, then they CANCEL that warranty, they then apply the Pro Rated amount to the New warranty & you only pay the difference.
You just have to decide whether to get the ADDED Care or Maximum Care Extended Warranty & the duration of the warranty.
I bought the Maximum Care Lifetime warranty, i believe i paid about $1,000, the Pro Rating took care of the rest
I have $100 deductible
The TRICK to the Deductible is to get everything done that you can at the same time, the deductible is Per Visit, not for each part. If you need to replace a non critical part, wait until a 2nd part needs replacing & get them done at the same time

This is the Added Care Warranty
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/added_care.cfm

Maximum Care Warranty
http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com/maximum_care.cfm

Good Luck with your decision
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 07-14-2012, 02:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
BigTJohn is on a distinguished road

GTYankee is correct on everything. I just got the Max Care and so far, not needed it. I do tow a travel trailer and felt I may need the warranty some time in the future. Just having the warr is making me sleep better, along w some rum!
Old 07-16-2012, 01:12 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram Crew Cab
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:83
Turbovsix will become famous soon enough

My max care warranty with a $100 deductible has just about paid for itself, and I have a 2010 with 64k miles on the clock.

I recently had a pinion seal replaced as well as a passenger side mirror as the glass was turning this burnt bronze color - apparently the heating element was burning off the coating.

Anyway, just the mirror alone was like 450 bucks, plus the labor to install, and I'm sure doing the pinion seal was an hour of labor at least. I've had a few minor things done as well and, yes, the trick is to bundle up those minor things into one visit so you only have that single deductible, as it's per VISIT, not repair.

My opinion is the warranty will no doubt pay for itself plus more. I paid just under $1700 for the max care and I bought it just shortly after purchasing the truck new.

Put it this way - if the mygig radio goes, that unit is what, probably $1500 alone?

Just my .02
Old 07-18-2012, 06:10 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport Regular Cab
Color: Brilliant Black
mopar09 is on a distinguished road

agree with GTyankee!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about

I just bought one yesterday cause my 3 year 36k runs out next month, I will still have the factory liftime power train warranty but for peice of mind I went with Route66 through my bank and they just added into my loan. 4 year 75k, bumper to bumper, no detuctable for $1400, its also transferable if I ever sell it and if the truck is ever totaled I get a full refund . Seemed like a pretty good deal to me,
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,
Old 07-19-2012, 07:03 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:57
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I just cashed in my extended warranty after they refused to fix my driveshaft, they blamed it on my tires because they are larger than factory 305/55r20's.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 07-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT, Big Horn
Color: Crimson Red
Engine: 2009-2010 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
DBryant is on a distinguished road

I had the same thing happen to me several years back. Had a wheel bearing fail with oversize tires and denied warranty. Iv'e been saying this on here for a long time now. If you mod your truck, you can void part or all of the warranty.
Old 07-28-2012, 08:00 PM
"Just living the dream"

Vehicle: 2013 Dodge Ram Longhorn
Trim Level: Longhorn Rambox
Color: Prairie Pearl / White Gold Trim
Rep:1634
Chunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant futureChunkem has a brilliant future

Let us know how you make out and please keep us updated.....

Enjoy RamForumZ? Support your forum and become a SITE SUPPORTER today!

Please be sure you understand the Ram ForumZ RULES

"MOST OF ALL HAVE FUN AND ENJOY THE SITE"
Old 07-29-2012, 08:26 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Trim Level: Big Horn, 5.7 hemi
Color: BRILLANT BLACK CREW CAB
Rep:172
FDBDW has a spectacular aura aboutFDBDW has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
I just cashed in my extended warranty after they refused to fix my driveshaft, they blamed it on my tires because they are larger than factory 305/55r20's.
Thats one reason I bought my warranty outside the dealership. I figured they would be less apt to argue a claim if it was coming out of someone elses pocket,
MOPAR CAI , 14" MUFFLEX, Diablo Intune 91oct , 2.5" LEVEL, K2 OPEN BLACK MESH GRILLE, FRONT WINDOWS TINTED, ROCKSTARS ON 295/70/18 NITTO TRAIL GRAPPLERS, LARADO BED COVER, DEBADGED, GO RIHNO STEPS , RECON SMOKED TAIL & THIRD BRAKE LIGHTS , PAINTED HEADLIGHTS , SPEEDLOGIX CATCH CAN, FASTMAN PORTED TB ,