DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram General Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram General Discussion General Chat about the Ram. Please look for other categories to post specific questions in.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-19-2012, 07:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
WhiteRam2006 is on a distinguished road
Default Oil and Oil Filter

Is there any truth behind Fram oil filters and certtain brands of oil hurting mopar vehicles? 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Sponsored links
Old 07-19-2012, 08:01 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

I say no. Any brand oil will work just fine. Its more about using the correct viscosity. Not a fan of fram filters after reading a few 100 oil filter test results. The fram did not do well. I also spent a few months reading oil test reports and decided for myself that I like synthetic oil better but regular ol Dino oil works.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:07 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:387
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

I put over 200,000 miles on a 97 silverware 5.7 running Mobile1 synthetic and a Fram oil and air filters.....I'm also running it my Hemi. If you run a synthetic oil just make sure your using an extended life oil filter.
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 07-20-2012, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 4x4 RC/SB
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:387
Butter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really niceButter is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJon View Post
Not a fan of fram filters after reading a few 100 oil filter test results. The fram did not do well.
I don't want to start an argument but when they test a basic Fram filter against something like a Wix or Napa Gold the test is a little scewed IMO.

Honestly if could get a Wix filter without drive an hour to get it thats what I would run. Regardless of what brand filter you use don't go cheap!
2010 Ram 1500 reg cab swb 4x4, 5.7 Hemi, 3:92 gears, Flowmaster 40 true duals, 2.5 leveling kit, Bridgestone Dueler 275/55/20 on KMC Skitch Wheels, DeeZee steps, BakFlip G2 tonneau cover, Weathertech Digital fit floor mats
Old 07-20-2012, 01:31 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Express RC
Color: Black Express Package
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:62
RyanJM will become famous soon enough

I run synthetic in my cabalt ss, trans am and my ram. get a little longer life out of it and for the cobalt it's recommended so I do it for warranty reasons as well. main this is what was already stated the viscosity it what you have to check get right some oil brands maybe a bit better but never had one kill my cars yet. I ran normal oil and fram filters in my 91 explorer and 91 Celica and the explorer still ran great at 150k when I sold it and the Celica had over 300k and was a daily driver. I have to say over 300k cause the odometer stopped working before the car. I have had many mor bad gas related problems than oil.

2014 Black Express, 4.5" Maxtrac lift, Ballistic Razorback's 20x9, 35x12.5 Federal Cougaria MT's, DeeZee tailgate assist, K&N drop in filter, magnaflow 16" welded in, Diablo Trinity, 20% tint on the front and 5% on the rear glass, AVS Smoked Aeroskin, HID 3000k fogs, 6000k HID's in the projectors.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:38 AM

Vehicle: 2010 2500
Trim Level: slt
Color: white
Rep:108
ridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enoughridgerunnerseoinc will become famous soon enough

Nothing wrong with the Fram XG (Extended Guard) filters. They are built very well. I run them on everything I own. Even the Tough Guard filters are good. U can keep the rest of the Fram line up though.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I don't want to start an argument but when they test a basic Fram filter against something like a Wix or Napa Gold the test is a little scewed IMO.

Honestly if could get a Wix filter without drive an hour to get it thats what I would run. Regardless of what brand filter you use don't go cheap!
I don't argue with people about religion, politics, and oil. Most have already made up their mind on what works for them. I did only after reading as much as I could stand on the subject and not just in the auto industry. I am in the marine industry so I had the privilege of reading test results from my company compared to several others. The engines we use cost 80k each and we have 150 of them now so oil analysis are important.

My girlfriends dad (25 years ago)use to get his friends used oil and filter and change his with it in his Chevy truck. He purchased it new and ran it over 300k before selling it for a new truck. I watched him change it a few times. Looked like black water.

Everything I know now tells me that's a really bad idea and I know I would never do that but I can never forget that he did and with several trucks from what I was told.

I just don't do opinions. I'm more of a fact type of person. I also split several filters and the fram just did not look good to me. There are plenty of better options even for those who wish to not spend their entire allowance ( I'm married to a saver so I'm watched) on a filter.
Old 07-20-2012, 12:05 PM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter View Post
I put over 200,000 miles on a 97 silverware 5.7 running Mobile1 synthetic and a Fram oil and air filters.....I'm also running it my Hemi. If you run a synthetic oil just make sure your using an extended life oil filter.
Absolutely.

However, if you're changing your synthetic oil on a regular basis - without the "normal" extended oil change intervals most synthetic owners will do - then a non extended life oil filter is fine.

Read thru THIS link when you get the opportunity and come to your own conclusion. Yeah the thread's about 4YRS old, but nonetheless there's still a TON of very good information and links.

For the record, I've only EVER used Amsoil, Wixx and Royal Purple oil filters.

Grub out!
Old 07-20-2012, 01:15 PM

Vehicle: 2004 Quad Cab diesel
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:217
dodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura aboutdodge man has a spectacular aura about

I've gone to Amsoil and there filters for most of my vehicles. I do this so I can change the oil less often more than anything else. I change the oil once a year in my vehicles, no matter what the mileage, as long as it doesn't get much over 15,000 miles.

I've read all the bad stories about Fram filters. Is it true they are built cheaper? Probably. Does it hurt anything to use them, probably not, but when I do run over the counter filters, I've been buying Napa Gold Filters, its only a few buck more.

If I change oil every 6 months, I woulnd't run synthetic. It doesn't pay to run sythetic if you still change the oil often and at low miles.
Old 07-20-2012, 01:20 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

For most normal people any oil and filter will do the job. some people like to go further. There are better oils and filters, and I agree that fram filters(the cheap ones) suck. Cardboard does not make a good seal and thin leaf springs lose pressure with time. JMO. But, using a fram filter will not cause engine failure or really even damage. Just isn't as good as some better products that may extend life a little more.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.