DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - News Desk > Newbie Checkin!

Notices

Newbie Checkin! New to the forums? Introduce yourself here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-20-2012, 03:00 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
And turbo is way better than supercharger.
Can't make that blanket statement because there are too many variables -- a turbo CAN be better & it is for my diesel application, but it's not ALWAYS better & if it were you'd see more turbocharged cars @ the drag strip than supercharged, but you don't & you never will.

Stock cast exhaust manifolds are horrendously restrictive & while you can use 'em with a turbo setup you'll still have a huge amount of backpressure. A Procharger is basically a belt-driven turbocharger which increases boost with engine rpm & doesn't provide much just cruising around -- like a turbo, it really comes on with full throttle as the rpms rise.

Now a turbo (properly set up) does have the advantage of going to full boost sooner than the supercharger, but with the supercharger you can run a free-flowing exhaust & pick up a ton of power you'll never get from the turbo unless you make your own exhaust manifolds. The engine runs much cooler with the supercharger too, which means longer engine life. And 100 HP per liter is realistic on pump gasoline -- which means 470 HP for the little 4.7L engine.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:06 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Better manifolds would obviously give more power, but you'd still have a large power increase with the stock manifolds.

Turbo is better for the street. The reason many drag racers don't use turbo on the track is because superchargers deliver power instantly, there's no delay. That's why there will never be a turbocharged top alcohol dragster. The supercharged top alcohol cars make less power than if it was turbo charged, but because the power is there instantly instead of delayed they get to the 1/4 mile faster.

My point was that turbo is probably a better option for the street, and if you are having to build a custom kit either way, why not go with the better choice. It'd be different if there was an available supercharger kit on the market.

I was thinking 450-500hp on 6-8 psi with my truck. Should be reliable/safe at that level I'd think.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:17 PM

Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
Turbo is better for the street. The reason many drag racers don't use turbo on the track is because superchargers deliver power instantly, there's no delay. That's why there will never be a turbocharged top alcohol dragster.
What's the point of a blower on a street vehicle? Not top speed 'cause if you run around using all the top-end power you've got you'll soon end up in jail! No, a little "stoplight to stoplight" fun is usually what you want & there the supercharger definitely has the advantage. And for some fun, check out this supercharged "sleeper" '72 Chevy Nova:

Old 07-20-2012, 03:43 PM

Forgot to mention that Procharger already makes a complete setup for Durango / Dakota & Ram pickups, 5.2, 5.9 & Hemi engines, so it wouldn't be that difficult to adapt what they've got to the 4.7 engine & certainly not as much work as starting from scratch:

http://www.procharger.com/TRUCK_SUV/truck_suv.shtml

No affiliation with Procharger, I just happen to be very familiar with their blowers & were I to add a blower to a basically stock engine, that's exactly what I'd use. That crazy Nova has 2 of 'em!

Last edited by ArtNJr; 07-20-2012 at 03:47 PM.
Old 07-20-2012, 03:49 PM

Vehicle: 02 Dodge Ram/92 IROC R/T
Trim Level: SLT Quad Cab
Color: Forest Green
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:67
02 Ram will become famous soon enough

+1 go turbo

welcome!