DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LIFTING - Dodge Ram 4x4, 2x4 Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, 4x4, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lifting Springs, Body Lifts, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-29-2012, 09:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Rep:10
testiclops is on a distinguished road
Default [Urgent] Bilstein 5100 misaligned.. [Pics]

I put urgent in the title because I'm afraid if I drive this too much it will cause damage to the strut or the cap.

I've been complaining about a squeaking front end for a while on here. I initially thought it was a dirty strut. But after looking yesterday I snapped these 2 pics of the top of the front strut caps (center bolt top of the cap). The bolt your looking at is the one connected to the top of the strut.

The first pic is the left side, which looks good as far as I can tell. I could get a socket on it no problem. The second picture is the right side. The nut and bolt aren't centered and the nut is right below the edge of the cap's hole, so I can't get a socket on it.

I sprayed some WD40 in there (the second pic that is) and the squeaking was gone...this will probably only last for a couple days. I'm thinking that nut isn't tight enough and some rubbing is causing the sound.

Will this cause damage the longer I drive it like this? Would it be complicated to take some of this apart and center it myself? I didn't install the 5100's and I'm not familiar with working on suspension.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20120528-00143.jpg (136.5 KB, 100 views)
File Type: jpg asdasdatg.jpg (123.8 KB, 105 views)
Old 05-29-2012, 08:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Deep Cherry Crystal
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
yagottaregatta is on a distinguished road

My truck developed this squeak too. I will take a look asap at the bolts and compare your pics to my truck. You said the squeak stop spraying that area? I have tried lubing everything lower and never looked at those bolts. I'll let you know what I find. Thanks for the idea. I was going to pull the whole works apart next week because that squeak is killing me. Hopefully we can track this issue down.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
testiclops is on a distinguished road

Yes, this squeak is truly terrible. Mine is loud, high pitch and occurs from every small bump.

Earlier I washed the entire suspension area with hot water then blasted everything with WD40 and the squeak was gone for a few days so I assumed it was dirt on the struts. But after more researching I read that if the top bolt is loose it can cause squeaks as well as cause wearing on the cap.

Since this time I only sprayed the one area with a bit of wd40 and it got rid of the squeak I'm pretty certain that's the problem. Figuring it the best / most cost efficient permanent fix is the issue now.

Comparing the pictures it looks like the nut on the first one is further down the bolt than the second. I'm going to see if I can just get in there with a pair of pliers and tighten it that way. Hopefully as long as its tight it won't damage anything, regardless of not being completed centered.

Last edited by testiclops; 05-30-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:41 AM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

I wouldn't use pliers you will probably round off the nut. Try jacking up that side and see if you can move it enough to get a socket on it. I would also check the other side for proper torque also.
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 06-03-2012, 02:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2010 ram 1500 quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: Slt
Color: light silver
Rep:13
Hootie7159 is on a distinguished road

are the tops and bottoms of your spring seated correctly? thats the only thing that i can think of that might cause the strut to be shifted to one side...and maybe the top strut nuts?...are those bent or loose?
Old 07-02-2012, 03:44 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

testiclops, I hate to say it but after examining your pics, it definitely appears to be improperly torqued nuts to the shock shaft. The person that did your install probably did not keep the coil spring compressed when tightening down that nut to the shaft. I would feel nervous as well about a shop like that touching my truck again but hey, they muffed it up in the first place, they should fix it, yes?
Old 07-20-2012, 05:54 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:963
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Oh and one more thing to add, according to the 5100 adjustables instructions, I don't recall a washer going between the shock shaft nut and the cap. Your second pic appears to have a washer below the locknut which is incorrect, at least per my 2012's instructions but I believe it is still the same for your 2010. The washer should go below the cap and stop at the end of the shaft threads if I'm not mistaken. That could very well be the squeaking problem bud. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 04:12 PM

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Trim Level: SXT
Color: sagebrush green
Rep:15
Jaytwo is on a distinguished road

If you jack the truck up and let the suspension droop, you might be able to move it around so you can get a socket on it. All else fails try a real thin walled socket.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Is it possible to get another nut on there enough to use a mallet to try and knock it over in place enough once it is jacked up to get a socket on it. Just a thought.