DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-15-2012, 12:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2001-2003 359ci (5.9L HO) Cummins ISB 24-Valve Diesel I6 245hp 505lb/ft (6-Speed Manual)
Rep:10
KR15 is on a distinguished road
Default best tuner for a mostly stock 01 dodge cummins...

i want to get a tuner for my truck, but there are so many different brands and types, im not sure which is best for someone who has a mostly stock truck but will be looking to upgrade later (1-3 years) to a more off road but still street legal vehicle. what would you guys recommend for someone in my situation? how much of a HP increase will the truck, engine, and things like the injector pump be able to safely take?

appreciate any help you guys can give.
Sponsored links
Old 07-16-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by KR15 View Post
i want to get a tuner for my truck, but there are so many different brands and types . . .
There is only ONE I would buy for a 1988.5 thru 2001 model & that's the "Blue Chip Wizard Fuel Management System" -

http://www.bluechipdiesel.com/fms_box.html

But save up $$$ first because if your VP-44 injector pump hasn't given you trouble yet it will -- that pump has a 100% failure rate. I recently got my 3rd & this time I got the top-of-the-line Freightliner upgrade (not available when the pump died before) & that's good for 22 HP & 2-3 more mpg by itself.

I explained in another thread what I learned about the VP-44 problem & it boils down to a faulty computer design & the fact that the Gov't. outlawed solder with lead in it -- the connections inside the computer cannot handle heat & vibration & it's not a matter of if the stock pump will fail it's just a matter of when. But the Frieghtliner "Sprinter" vans (also sold by Dodge & Mercedes) use the same VP-44 injector pump & when those vans started dying all over North America, evidently Freightliner gave Bosch an earful & they came out with an upgraded VP-44 for Frieghtliner to resolve the computer failures.

I do not believe you can get the upgraded pump from Dodge but you can get it from Blue Chip & there are probably others in the aftermarket who sell if too (no affiliation with Blue Chip, just a satisfied customer). The Freightliner version is calibrated for a 3.7L Mercedes V-6 diesel, not an ISB Cummins, but it can be reprogrammed & that's where the additional HP & fuel mileage comes from. So if I were you, I'd replace the injector pump first, then if you want to add the tuner, get Blue Chip's as it's designed to work with that particular pump & it will not void your new pump's warranty like other tuners will.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck @ Biltmore.jpg (101.6 KB, 1 views)
Old 07-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 1500 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Blue/Silver
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
hockeyguynick is on a distinguished road

^Like he said, any tuner will add to the VP problems, a big issue is the lack of fuel moving through the pump to cool it when you add a tuner. Engine calls for more fuel, meaning its sucking it up quicker than the lift pump can supply it. You get low FP, and it is bad for the injector pump. Before ya go and invest in a new VP, get an aftermarket lift pump and a fuel pressure gauge. You are aiming to keep it above 10 psi while at wide open throttle.