DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road
Post Where to find GCWR?

I've looked all over my truck and it doesn't list the GCWR. How the heck do you figure the tow rating off of just the GVWR and GAWR's? It's not even listed in my user manual.

WTF Ram?
Sponsored links
Old 05-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7L
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Silver
Rep:10
Shaker12 is on a distinguished road

What year is your truck? Try this site http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/
Old 05-09-2012, 03:57 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 SXT Crew Cab
Trim Level: SXT
Color: White
Rep:14
Dragonmaster13 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaker12 View Post
What year is your truck? Try this site http://www.ramtrucks.com/en/towing_guide/
That's nice, but how would a highway cop know what you are capable of towing if they pull you over? I've been through numerous weight checks on the highway where they randomly pull over anything towing a trailer and check your weights. Especially during camping season they like to nab the vehicles with larger (25'+) trailers and weigh them. If you can't prove your legal weights you are fined and have to leave your trailer there until you can prove them or they tow it (24 hours). Must be proven via stickers or dealer provided certification.

Is the tow capacity listed on the vehicle anywhere? Or weights that would allow you to calculate them?
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2597
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this website
http://www.rambodybuilder.com/2012/ram/15mo.pdf

pick your particular vehicle, the site is interactive
TECHNICAL INFORMATION
Base Weights/GCW/Payload/Trailer Tow
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
PteJack is on a distinguished road

THe information you seek is cryptically hidden on the Dodge Ram website. Took me days to find it for my 3500 Longhorn. The other thing is, if your looking for a model that is outside the current build year it is even harder to find. If you do find the Towing Capacity sheet for your truck, ensure that you save a copy somewhere on your computer and smartphone. It looks like someone has already posted a link to the area in previous posts.

As for how the "cops" know, it is pretty easy to tell if you are over limit, the rear end sags, rear springs are compressed and the tires look like aircraft tires, bulging and compressed. They've also seen so many of these overweight units that they can spot them a mile off.

I am currently trying to find a 5th wheel unit that sits inside the weight restriction for my 3500 Longhorn, you'd be surprised just how light a unit has to be to stay inside the limits.

A 10,000lb unit that I'm looking at is actually too heavy for my truck based on GVWR and payload limits, but still falls within limits of my GCVR and rear tire ratings. Meaning, I'd be legal inside Alberta Canada, but illegal going into British Columbia. Towing a complicated world.

See my thread http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread....005#post800005

Sorry I can't be of more help, but I'm still learning the ins and outs of towing myself.

Regards,

Pte Jack
Old 07-26-2012, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

Wow, you guys from the Great White North have it rough I have never seen a dually (or SRW 3500) pulled over and checked for weight down here, and I was a 48 state and Canada truck driver for years, not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never seen it. They must want the revenue up there. Even if you were pulled over down here I doubt they would do much more than just weigh each axle (as has happened with me in the big truck), add it up and make sure it was under GCWR, and each axle was not over legal limits. Pulling a 38' Toyhauler packed to the gills I have never been over the GCWR. My 07 Silverado GCWR was considerably less than the Longhorn and towed like a champ just at the weight limit. I recommend hooking up to a unit you like, or similar and getting it weighed to see exactly where you are, you can wade though the numbers for months but until you actually get it weighed you will never know for sure. I have talked with RV transporters that run to all 48 AND Canada with trucks no different than yours that pull the 42' + trailers and have been doing it for years with no issue. I was almost thinking of doing it, but lots of miles on the truck! Your only other option is to get a converted Big Rig to tow the 5th wheel you want cuz there is not too much available in between your 3500 and a Freightliner.

I know this thread is a bit dated, but if you have an update I'd like to know what you did about a trailer.