DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Towing

Notices

Towing 4th Gen Dodge Ram Towing Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 3500 Laramie LongHorn DRW
Trim Level: Longhorn
Color: Western Brown/Gold
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:10
PteJack is on a distinguished road

Brad,

This was my understanding of the physics and general dynamics behind this. (Mind you, I was merely a ground pounding grunt in the forces, not a rocket scientist)

It is almost the exact same reasoning I used with the RV Rep.

He looked at my truck, told me I could pull practically 90% of his inventory without taking a breath.

When I asked about payload, he quickly change step and told me, "You're wrong about weight transferrance to the truck from the trailer through the pin, there is no teeter-totter effect, the trailer weight on the axles remains the same. You are right about payload, you have to stay within your payload limit, but excuse me, I have to chase down a customer. Please come back, I'd would like to show you something in a tag type trailer." and flew out the door.

I'm really starting to get a complex, I think that I'm scaring people because I'm asking questions. Hmmm, maybe it's my military bearing that is intimidating them, maybe I should leave the pacestick at home??

Maybe I should just stop and conform with the masses??? Hook up and go for it..
"NOT!!"
Change does not happen without questions being asked!!

Pte Jack - The Simplicities of Buying a Trailer,
circa: '2012'

Unquote
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00196.jpg (79.9 KB, 22 views)

Last edited by PteJack; 05-23-2012 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

Really way over-thinking this, the rating that you really need to be concerned with is the GCVWR, that is what the law would check if they are inclined to do so. The truck can SAFELY handle much much more than the ratings listed, but for the sake of argument the GCVWR for my unit (for example) is 21,000lbs. My Truck comes in at over 8000lbs, trailer is a 38' Toyhauler with a GVRW of 18,000, pin weight of 3500lbs (over estimation and variable based on how its loaded), fully loaded with fuel (gen) and water hooked to the truck and weighed comes in less than 19,000lbs...2000lbs to spare on the scale. I suggest if you can get a RV dealer to let you hook up and go weigh the thing, it might set your mind at ease. Just a thought
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White
Engine: 2014-20?? 392ci (6.4L) Hemi V8 410hp 429lb/ft
Rep:12
sandawilliams is on a distinguished road
Default towing limitations

I have pulled about every type of trailer known to man to include semi's and heavy equipment trailers. Many of my friends pull large 5th wheels and we have debated over the years on how much over capacity they are. Most dont believe that many times you can actually pull more weight with a heavy duty 3/4 ton than a 1 ton pickup. This is usually due to the reduced tow rating of the 1 ton because of added weight of heavier components and duals.
Most of if not all 1 ton and 3/4 ton pickups I see pulling large 5th wheels down the road are indeed beyond their tow ratings. The answer the last few years is to go to the large aftermarket single axle semi tractors being custom made for these applications.
I too am guilty of pulling over my 1500 tow limit. I am over by about 800 lbs. once the trailer and truck are loaded for camping. Everywhere you look people are overloaded while towing but I try to keep it reasonable.
As far as rv dealers go most just want to sell rv's and will tell you anything to make the sale.
Personally I would not have a problem towing a little overloaded if my initial testing of the load showed adequate braking, acceleration, and handling.
Old 07-28-2012, 01:35 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Ive said it before and I'll say it again. Almost every 2500 diesel pulling a 5er and people/cargo is over on their gvwr. Never mind the guys with the 36 foot triple slides. And there is a ton of those on the road. Somehow this issue of over on gv but ok on gc seems to be overlooked. The trucks themselves are easily capable of hauling much more than their ratings.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"
Old 07-29-2012, 12:14 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram Crew Cab SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-???? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:87
united316 will become famous soon enough

I just got back from a week at Ocean Lakes which is rated the top mega campground in the nation and I was so surprised at the amount of people towing 35foot+ 7th wheel raptors and other toy haulers with all makes of 2500's the dry weight of most of these units are over 13k almost all had golf carts and all other camping gear in the trailer these units had to be overloaded.
2011 SLT Crew Cab 4x2, 4.7, 3.55 gears, TruXedo TruXport Soft Roll-Up Dual Latch Tonneau, Westin Black Platinum series oval step bars, Aeroskin Hood Protector, Ventvisors In-channel smoke , Husky Liners Front ard Rear Mud Guards, K&N drop in air filter.
Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2014 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: LongHorn Crew Cab 4X
Color: Bright White/Light Pebble Beig Accent
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Roving Volunteer is on a distinguished road

Been towing heavy 5th wheels since 1996 and have been all over USA including two trips to Alaska (volunteer construction work) logged thousands of miles. This included 4 RAM 3500's two dollies and two single wheel. Heaviest 5th wheel was a Teton which tipped the scales at 18,000 lbs loaded and most recently Mobile Suite at 17,000# Mobile suite was the finest towing rig I have owned. Air suspension/air ride hitch and hydraulic disc brakes. Went to the single wheel for the Mobile Suites. Difference in all the ratings is most likely dealing with a tow behind vs 5th wheel.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2011
irnwkrkev is on a distinguished road

NOTE:...Excuse the harshness of this message for I have been drinking . Stupid Canadian, you are overthinking this. The truck will handle it. Do you know of others getting pulled over by D.O.T. Gestapo? I doubt it. If you let your wife know there's an issue you are even stupider. Grow a pair and pull it! You have nothing to worry about. People exceed limits by 50% and get by without a problem. 15 years ago people were pulling heavy ass trailers without 800lbft of torque, exhaust brakes, heavy duty giant disc brakes, stupid beefy suspension, and ginormous transmissions.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:15 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Color: Deepwater Blue
Rep:127
Swaggerville Ram will become famous soon enoughSwaggerville Ram will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnwkrkev View Post
NOTE:...Excuse the harshness of this message for I have been drinking . Stupid Canadian, you are overthinking this. The truck will handle it. Do you know of others getting pulled over by D.O.T. Gestapo? I doubt it. If you let your wife know there's an issue you are even stupider. Grow a pair and pull it! You have nothing to worry about. People exceed limits by 50% and get by without a problem. 15 years ago people were pulling heavy ass trailers without 800lbft of torque, exhaust brakes, heavy duty giant disc brakes, stupid beefy suspension, and ginormous transmissions.
Wow. Good thing you prefaced it with the "I've been drinking excuse"
Otherwise you'd seem like an *******.

I guess that's acceptable to generalize people by their country, so long as its not your country being insulted.

I suppose you'd be willing pony up and pay his overweight fine if he got one based on your advice.

"I don't care to hear what your ideas are, mine are better"

Last edited by Swaggerville Ram; 07-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:52 AM
Just some guy in Canada

Vehicle: 2010 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Sport
Rep:2581
brad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond reputebrad12kx has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by irnwkrkev View Post
As a matter of fact, YES. Sometimes they're 'Stupid Canadians', and sometimes they're well educated and highly respected American Tourists. Either way, they have plenty to worry about when this happens in BC as the road authority there has no sense of humor and will have you towed out of their province for as little as 10lbs over weight.

Although I have no personal experience, I understand that Washington and Oregon have similar strict policies that affect both their home grown citizens as well as the stupid Canadians that try to get away with a little extra air in the tires or suspension.

Interested in one of my mods?
If it's underlined, it's a link to that mods thread.

2010 Ram 1500 Hemi Sport, 3.92, Leather, NAV, Alpine, Sunroof, Trailer tow, Brake Contoller, Rear Cam
Mods - 3M clear protect, Decals removed, Electric Tailgate Lock, Tow Hooks, Skid Plates, Bed Rug, Pace Edwards Bedlocker Electric Tonneau, Timbren Rear SES, Tinted Tail Lights, Debadged, Grill Blacked Out, Shorty Antenna, Black Chromed Emblems, Lightly tinted front windows, DS Predator, Cabin Air Filter, K&N Drop In, Mufflex (Magnaflo) DOD24M, Sonnax line pressure booster, Volant CAI
Old 08-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 3500 Longhorn DRW
Color: Sagebrush Pearl/White Gold
BigE3 is on a distinguished road

It is amazing how much difference the tow rating is between the 3.73 and the 4.10, I have the 3.73 and my max is 21,000lbs, 8555lbs. towing at max payload of 4345lbs. If I had the 4.10 it would be a whopping 27,600lbs...WOW that is big! with 15,500lbs towing! at max payload of 4345lbs. My payload is only around 2700lbs. when fully loaded so that gives me right at 10,000lbs. towing. So legally with the truck FULLY loaded the trailer can weigh about 12,500lbs. which is 3000lbs. less than the GVWR of the trailer. My trailer dry is 10,800lbs., GVWR on the trailer is 15,500, at max load out for me I might be 14,000lbs. on the trailer (1500lbs. over max for the truck and giving me a total of 22,600lbs). If I were max GVWR on everything my total would be 24,200lbs. which is 3200lbs. over my trucks GCVW. That is well within the GCVW of the 4.10 unit that has the same suspension, brakes, steering components, tires, axles, drivline, and everything else BUT the differential gear, so setting aside the legal issue, the things that you need to worry about with the 3.73 over the 4.10 are the rear gear, driveline, transmission, converter, and possibly brakes (due to the reduced engine braking capacity), EVERYTHING ELSE is the same! As for the legality issue, you could always just print out the weigh specs for the 4.10 unit and show it to the officer, if he is going to check your rear gear ratio, he is going to get you for something! otherwise you can claim you ordered it with the 4.10, must have been a dealer f-up and you are going to have words with them!! But in all seriousness you should really hook up to the unit you are looking at and get it weighed (dry) then add about 4000lbs. total to see where you end up, you just might be surprised. As for safety, these trucks are going to be able handle whatever REGULAR trailer you can hook up to it (for the most part). I see 2500 SRW trucks pulling the 42' toyhaulers around all the time, those are much heavier than mine, not saying it is smart, just saying I see it. Good luck and hope it all works out for you, these are great trucks so I hope you get to use it the way you want to.