DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram MPG Zone

Notices

Dodge Ram MPG Zone Discuss your MPG woes and helpful hints here!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Anyone know where the dry type filters (like my dry airaid) stand?

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 07-30-2012, 11:33 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by westxsrt10 View Post
Most high quality paper filters have TWICE the surface area of a cheaper K&N. More surface area allows more air flow. I have used oiled filters, the quailty varies greatly. The Airaid oiled filter is my choice, is twice as thick as most others.
Most Diesel engine warrentys will be voided using a K&N.
The paper will filter better but will get clogged faster even with twice the surface area so more airflow for a much shorter period of time. I don't want to spend hundreds on paper filters and there is no evidence that doing so will help. Maybe if you plan on this being the last truck you buy but I certainly don't fit in that catagory. I use K&N because I like their product but I don't go around claiming to be an expert on air flow and filtering properties nor do I claim that it's the best filter. K&N works for me and I have never had any trouble with it. Anything outside stock can void your warranty.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:28 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

I lost MPG when i put a K&N in my truck. I switched to a UNI filter and got better MPG than stock and it also helped with the surging problem I have because of my headers... It helps that the owner o UNI filter is my next door neighbor and I get my airfilters for cheap for being a test mule for all our fmaily vehicles lol

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-07-2012, 08:19 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4Luck View Post
I lost MPG when i put a K&N in my truck. I switched to a UNI filter and got better MPG than stock and it also helped with the surging problem I have because of my headers... It helps that the owner o UNI filter is my next door neighbor and I get my airfilters for cheap for being a test mule for all our fmaily vehicles lol
Uni has been my favorite offroad filter for a very long time and I have never felt comfortable with K&N out in Glamis.
Might you be able to get a part number for the drop-in Uni for my truck? I had no idea Uni even made regular vehicle filters, my bad.

I would love to have a Uni in my truck as it does go out in the powdery sands of Glamis at least once a trip to get to Oldsmobile

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-07-2012, 08:26 AM

Vehicle: 2012 2500 Mega 4x4 Laramie
Trim Level: Laramie
Rep:73
Bikenut will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by westxsrt10 View Post
Most high quality paper filters have TWICE the surface area of a cheaper K&N. More surface area allows more air flow. I have used oiled filters, the quailty varies greatly. The Airaid oiled filter is my choice, is twice as thick as most others.
Most Diesel engine warrentys will be voided using a K&N.
#1 Surface area is one factor, but more surface area does not necessarily guarantee more flow.

#2 Are you comparing all oiled filters in your statement? Yes, a cheap Pep Boys gauze compared to a two stage foam by a quality company will definitely vary greatly

#3 That is simply untrue about diesels and K&N. If I cared to spend the time, I could get you pictures of various aftermarket filters (mainly K&N) sitting on the shelf at your local Ford, Chevy and Dodge dealership that they will gladly sell you for your diesel.
In fact, a free flowing intake makes MUCH more difference on a turbo diesel than it does on a naturally aspired gas engine.

Retro-Soutions 55W HIDs - Firestone 5K Airbags -
18" Magnaflow - integrated electric tailgate lock and EZ-Down kit - Cabin air filter retrofit - $79 Catch Can - KORE leveling kit and Bilsteins front and rear
Old 08-08-2012, 03:59 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Big Horn 4x4
Color: Bright White Clearcoat
Rep:310
SS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the roughSS4Luck is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
Uni has been my favorite offroad filter for a very long time and I have never felt comfortable with K&N out in Glamis.
Might you be able to get a part number for the drop-in Uni for my truck? I had no idea Uni even made regular vehicle filters, my bad.

I would love to have a Uni in my truck as it does go out in the powdery sands of Glamis at least once a trip to get to Oldsmobile
UNI is kinda hush hush about their filters. I know they dont make them for a full fleet of cars and i have no idea why they dont advertise it.

We just make mine being that they are so simple... trim the foam, glue on the mounting ring and voila! Is your filter the same as the 1500? I can see when he has time and have him make you another one

2011 Big Horn 4x4 -SnowWhite-
1 7/8ths catless ARH ceramic coated longtubes - Sport mirrors-55W 5000K HID low and fogs-LED EVERYTHING
Old 08-08-2012, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I had an UNI on my suzuki bandit it was nice then got one for my buell and the one for my buell SUCKED. Worst fitment I've ever seen for an air filter. I wanted to run a foam filter but switched to the K&N. The UNI left gaps and didn't seal to the airbox. I'm sure it was just poor quality control/R&D for that model but that just sucked I wasted like $50...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge ram 1500
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
underdog52 is on a distinguished road

I've got the cold intake K&N filter seemed to make a difference,psychological I don't know sounds O.K. Mileage seemed to have changed 1 to 2 mpg
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge ram 1500
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
underdog52 is on a distinguished road

is there a better repacement cold air intake filter to replace the cone K&N filter?
Old 05-10-2013, 03:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2013 5.7
Trim Level: Express quad cab
Color: Silver
Rep:15
Synolimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
This is like an oil brand debate, I wish there was a real scientific bench test of filtration effectiveness/flow/capacity! I fear you are correct about K&N though!

I do KNOW that a Uni filter does an excellent job of filtration: That is what I use in all my offroad toys and have seen that the intake is perfectly clean after a week in the sand dunes. I mean, white glove clean and that's impressive in that fine sand dust
I ran a k&n for years and did oil analysis's every 3k and my numbers were perfect. If dirt was getting in I'd of seen increased silica and other elements increase that sand and stuff are made of.