DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 3.7 Liter V6 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 3.7-liter V6 engine - 210 horsepower, 235 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 05-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

^the dynos I've seen of the 4.7L's are ~100 hp loss to the wheels. Same with the hemi's, 390 hp rating at the engine, and ~300 hp at the wheels. Makes sense as they are identical drivetrains.

Just what I've seen....

I'd love it to be less......convince me? lol

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 05-14-2012, 12:10 AM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

Weird...that means the transmissions in these trucks really are the most ineffecient design in the universe. LOL.

100ft/lbs of powertrain loss is unacceptable to me...must improve this. Where did you get your TQ converter sean? Also, mine is probably WORSE than 100hp...I am a 4x4.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...

Old 05-14-2012, 08:12 AM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I'd agree, I didn't believe it was nearly 100 loss to the wheels when I saw it. But I've seen several dyno's showing 80-100 loss, depending on the truck.

I bought my TC used off member kay9. It's an edge street edge billet converter. Roughly 2800rpm stall on my 4.7L. I think it was about 3,000rpm stall on his 3rd gen hemi with some mods(he has more power).

Old 08-19-2012, 07:15 AM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram, Quad Cab
Trim Level: ST with combo packag
Color: white
Rep:136
Dancianne will become famous soon enoughDancianne will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsquanch View Post
I know I can't be the only one around here. I know its not the biggest or fastest out there, but there must be others running the 3.7 V6 that are satisfied with their choice. Sure we chose it for financial reasons, for the most part, but that doesn't mean we can't have a little fun with it in the mean time. My time with my V6 is just starting and I would like to try and find a little inspiration.

Rob
Add me to those of us perfectly satisfied with the 3.7 six just the way it comes stock from the factory! After a year plus of ownership, I have found that performance more than meets all of my needs. I don't need 390hp to get me around town, and on long interstate trips, I just dial up the cruise to whatever traffic patterns are. No, I don't haul or tow 10,000 lbs, but then how many of us really do that? My six is reliable and provides decent mpg. The quadcab is comfy, rides great, and is as luxurious as I desire,....what more could a driver want?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:02 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancianne View Post
Add me to those of us perfectly satisfied with the 3.7 six just the way it comes stock from the factory! After a year plus of ownership, I have found that performance more than meets all of my needs. I don't need 390hp to get me around town, and on long interstate trips, I just dial up the cruise to whatever traffic patterns are. No, I don't haul or tow 10,000 lbs, but then how many of us really do that? My six is reliable and provides decent mpg. The quadcab is comfy, rides great, and is as luxurious as I desire,....what more could a driver want?
The ability to get out of your own way, much less anyone else's. 210-215hp in a 5300 lb truck is not the best power to weight ratio in the world...

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition
Mods list in profile
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 08-20-2012, 02:12 PM

LOL. Well the v6 full size trucks may not be fast but for the people looking for a daily driver and don't care about racing they are plenty strong. They are good enough for the home depot/lowes trips as well.

I had a 4 cylinder (~90 rwhp) chevy s10 before my ram and it wasn't fast but was a great running truck and did everything I needed it to just fine. Daily drove it until 220,000 miles running good then sold it. I hauled a lot with it, many times over it's limit and it pulled fine. Slow, but fine.

Old 08-20-2012, 03:09 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star Edition
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:15
LoneTex is on a distinguished road

Mine with the 5 speed does great. From passing on the highway to take off, mine does great.

Anyways your chances of getting v6 "love" or help on this forum in about none.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:21 PM
Thinks sheep are stupid

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1734
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Great...now there's 4 of 'em and they're going to start a movement...

DISCLAIMER
If you are offended easily don't click on my screen name
Old 08-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star Edition
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:15
LoneTex is on a distinguished road

Watch out Warlock we will take this forum over!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Great...now there's 4 of 'em and they're going to start a movement...
LOL. And to think I was trying to be nice...