DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Electrical

Notices

Electrical 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Electrical Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-19-2012, 02:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
DColeman is on a distinguished road
Default Battery

Just got my Ram used about 3 weeks and today was the first day its rained since I got the truck. I left the windshield wipers in the on position while I went into a couple of stores and at my last store I came out and the truck wouldn't start.. With all of that being said my question is does leaving the windshield wipers in the on position drain the battery? After waiting about 20 minutes and turning them to the off position the truck finally started again. Haven't had a chance to get the battery tested yet, but I plan on doing so tomorrow.

Thanks in advance for the help.

DC
Sponsored links
Old 08-19-2012, 05:15 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
. . . my question is does leaving the windshield wipers in the on position drain the battery?
Of course it does!
Old 08-19-2012, 09:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram
Rep:10
DColeman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtNJr View Post
Of course it does!

Thanks ArtNJr.. Newb move on my part. Lol
Old 08-19-2012, 11:26 AM

Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)

Next question is how much will leaving the wipers on drain the battery & the answer is "that depends" -- on such things as if it's raining very much or not. If it's not raining @ all, then the wiper motor would have quite a drag on it, pulling more Amps from the battery than it was designed for & yes, that would drag the battery down quick -- make the motor overheat too. If it's a good battery then it would charge back up by itself in 20-30 minutes, but unlike "deep cycle" marine batteries, automotive batteries are not designed to be discharged & then recharged over & over again -- they need to stay close to fully charged all the time & every time you drag one down you shorten the life of it. So don't do that again !!!
Old 08-19-2012, 11:34 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I was told that
the batteries in are trucks actually work normally, as they have for years

The alternator is what stops the battery from getting a deep charge
if you put a heavy drain on the battery, then you can put the battery on a battery charger & give it a deep charge, then the alternator will continue to function normally

If i am incorrect, feel free to correct me
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 08-19-2012, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
The alternator is what stops the battery from getting a deep charge
Nope, that's the voltage regulator's job -- the alternator unregulated will put out too much current & overcharge the battery.

Quote:
if you put a heavy drain on the battery, then you can put the battery on a battery charger & give it a deep charge, then the alternator will continue to function normally
That's true, but if you keep on dragging the battery down by using electrical devices (wipers, radio, whatever) without the engine running, you will considerably shorten the life of the battery. Automotive batteries are not designed to provide power for an extended period of time, they're designed to provide a "burst" of power for a short time -- to turn the starter motor, which can pull up to 85 Amps.

Assuming the engine starts normally & the alternator / regulator are working right, the alternator will just "top off" the battery, replacing the energy used to run the starter motor & the battery will never be pulled down very much. In that situation the battery can last for years & years, but again, if you drag it down very much or very often, it won't last anywhere near as long.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:54 PM

Vehicle: 2009 dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie crew cab
Color: Grey
Rep:41
uktitus is on a distinguished road

The question is did you leave them on with the key in and actually working, because if you removed the Fob I think you will find that all power to lights radio ETC are turned off after about 10 minutes so as not to drain the battery so that may not be your problem?