DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Heating & Cooling

Notices

Heating & Cooling 2nd Gen Dodge Ram Heating & Cooling Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-14-2012, 02:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7L
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:16
countryboy85 is on a distinguished road
Question Continued Heating/ A/C problems!!!!

OK. In a previous post, I was having issues with my heating and a/c. I could switch the blend door between the two by had, but not by the temp control dial on dash.

I was tinkering around last night and opened up the blend door actuator motor to find that the dial on the dash was not operating the actuator. I tested the actuator with a couple wires and a 9V battery and it still works.

So now I know that the problem is either the temp control switch or the wiring leading to the actuator. Does anyone know of how I may be able to test the connection to see if its a short or a bad switch? If it is the switch and not the wiring, can I replace just the switch, or am I stuck replacing the entire heater/air control?
Sponsored links
Old 08-16-2012, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2000 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-2001 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp(standard), 250hp(Sport package)
Rep:10
linsys is on a distinguished road

How did you switch the blend door by hand? I am all of a sudden having problems with my heater and its been working perfectly. I remember I had a Ford Explorer and the blend door went out but I could tell because of the loud clicking noise... I'd like to see if I can manually switch the blend door to see if the heat starts.
Old 08-16-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsys View Post
How did you switch the blend door by hand? I am all of a sudden having problems with my heater and its been working perfectly. I remember I had a Ford Explorer and the blend door went out but I could tell because of the loud clicking noise... I'd like to see if I can manually switch the blend door to see if the heat starts.
You have to find the blend door actuator motor which is under the dash on the passanger side. There are two screws that fasten the motor to the blend door and the rear screw is a PAIN to get to. Once you pull the actuator motor down, you can get to the rod that swings the blend door between heat and A/C. Check the little plastic piece that connects the blend door motor and the blend door. This generation of Ram has a problem with that piece cracking or breaking. If that's what's wrong, you can get a metal replacement piece from Heater Treater for about $30. They also have a video on their website that will show how to get to the blend door motor.
Old 08-16-2012, 08:44 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Have you tried the thermal relay or checked it? If it's bad the door won't operate even if it is good.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM

I tried to look up the thermal relay for the '99, and I don't think it has one. Am I correct in thinking the relay is located in the fuse pannel? I'm having one of those moments lol.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Former Senior Member

Vehicle: 95
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy85 View Post
I tried to look up the thermal relay for the '99, and I don't think it has one. Am I correct in thinking the relay is located in the fuse pannel? I'm having one of those moments lol.
Nope, it's under the passenger's side of the dash behind the fan motor.

The black part is what you'll see. and it's held in with 2-7 or 8 mm screws.

Depends on where you are...some call it a blower motor resistor.

If you sit in the Pass seat and lift your left foot, you'll touch the plug and see where it's at.

Last edited by Warlock III; 08-22-2012 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-24-2012, 11:56 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: None
Rep:49
ModelTFan01 is on a distinguished road

I'm new here and since I'm 13, you really shouldn't take any advice from me (since I'm not a professional) I am knowledgeable about electronics and even more knowledgeable about HVAC (heating and cooling) equipment.

I, however don't know much about automobile HVAC systems, although it should be the same principal.

My advice: Look for the relay (like Warlock III said) and that may be your problem! The relay is usually a little black box with four wires hooked to it (the wires may depend from it being a SPST, SPDT, DPST, or DPDT type relay.)

I can probably help you find the relay if I had an electrical schematic. I'll try Google and other things since it's the weekend.

I'm glad to help in any way, shape, or form. Like I said, I don't know much about car's nor am a professional. I just happen to know a lot about HVAC equipment.

Last edited by ModelTFan01; 08-24-2012 at 11:58 PM. Reason: Added