DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-14-2012, 03:17 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jjg9207 is on a distinguished road
Default After use?

I have a question for you. How does that clear cover look after driving? I am considering this CAI or the Volant. My biggest concern with this one is that I will be constantly cleaning the cover because it will be dirty. The volant is solid so you can't see inside, not as good looking when first installed, but don't have to worry about that cover looking like garbage because it's used.
Old 08-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjg9207 View Post
I have a question for you. How does that clear cover look after driving? I am considering this CAI or the Volant. My biggest concern with this one is that I will be constantly cleaning the cover because it will be dirty. The volant is solid so you can't see inside, not as good looking when first installed, but don't have to worry about that cover looking like garbage because it's used.

I'm a little anal about my engine bay and its appearence so I know exactly what you're saying. I can handle my truck being dirty/filthy [nature of the beast when it calls] but two areas you'll never find my truck out of order is the cabin and the engine compartment.

No problems at all with the cover being dirty. Unless a very light film of dust is an issue for you. Yes, once a few weeks or so, you do get a light film of dust that builds up on top of the clear plexiglass cover. This is no different than the dust that also accumulates in your engine compartment; simply because the engine bay is not a sealed unit so dirt, road grime and whatnot does cawl its way thru the crevices.

Also, after washing my truck, I often have some dried water spots on the cover. No biggie.

I wipe the plexiglass S&B intake cover once every couple of weeks or so. Usually with a dry microfiber cloth but at times with window cleaner sprayed on the cover.

I've yet to have an issue with the bottom of the cover collecting dirt/debris/dust [ie: the underside that sits inside the filter housing assembly]. I have not had to unscrew the the clear lid to clean the underside to date. This is a little surprising to me because previous S&B clear CAI covers have been unlike this abd have required regular wipedowns. Quite a pleasant suprise this time around.

Hope this helped.

Grub out!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Limited
Trim Level: Limited
Color: Black
DerekWH is on a distinguished road

Looking to add a little power to my new truck. 2012 Ram Limited 5.7 would like to put on cold air intake. Have been looking at K&N and S&B. Has anyone compared the 2 for hp and torque? Or is there a better cold air intake out there?
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
ddeloria is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekWH View Post
Looking to add a little power to my new truck. 2012 Ram Limited 5.7 would like to put on cold air intake. Have been looking at K&N and S&B. Has anyone compared the 2 for hp and torque? Or is there a better cold air intake out there?
As far as true cold air intakes are concerned, K&N doesnt have one. Your choices are pretty much the S&B, Volant, and stock air box. If you want the best performance, I hear from experienced users here that Vararam is the top choice, albeit the most expensive. I just sold my Volant and instead use the stock box with a drop in K&N filter. I have no dyno or track results to prove any of this but it feels and seems to get the same performance and is much cheaper. Hope this helps.
A work in progress....K&N Drop in Air Filter, Magnaflow Y-pipe(#10778), Magnaflow Muffler(#12579), Superchips tuned, 180 T-stat(#4128)
Old 08-20-2012, 12:48 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Gray
rlynch is on a distinguished road

Awesome review, Excellent pics!!! Sold I will be purchasing ASAP
Old 08-20-2012, 03:57 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Dark Red Cherry
Rep:201
audio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura aboutaudio1der has a spectacular aura about

Wow- great review!!
I just checked the site, and as of Sep.15 they will have the scoop/snorkel available as well!
Just have to get the wife on board now...
Old 08-21-2012, 09:34 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500
Trim Level: express
Color: true blue
Rep:33
goose85427 is on a distinguished road

Awesome review man thanks for the info
Old 08-23-2012, 02:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012
Trim Level: Big Horn Crew Cab
Color: Sage Green
Michiram is on a distinguished road

Ignorant newbie question -

Do you have to adjust the trucks computer in any after installing a CAI such as the S&B???? Just wondering if the extra air coming in screws anything up???
Old 08-23-2012, 03:36 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: White
Rep:45
ram71351 is on a distinguished road

No adjustments needed, the computer takes care of everything for you. All you have to do is drive it like you stole it.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3872
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
Wow- great review!!
I just checked the site, and as of Sep.15 they will have the scoop/snorkel available as well!
Just have to get the wife on board now...
Yeah, I'm hoping to get the Scoop soon so I'll be sure to give a review on installation/performance/appearence.

Grub out!