DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8
Rep:3883
Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiram View Post
Ignorant newbie question -

Do you have to adjust the trucks computer in any after installing a CAI such as the S&B???? Just wondering if the extra air coming in screws anything up???
No, as ram71351 noted, but make sure you pull your negative battery post during install and reconnect following to reset your PCM.

I did also reset the throttle response thru the ignition-on/accelerator depress pedal following the install. Not sure if it made any difference but I did sleep better that evening.

Grub out!
Old 08-25-2012, 01:17 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
jc0311 is on a distinguished road

I just bought one of these and installed it last weekend. Two things that were a pain the butt: taking off my wheel liner and the fitting the MAF sensor into the grommet in the tube, otherwise it was pretty straight forward, and S&B instructions were great. Loving the intake, I like the throttle response I am getting.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:31 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Express
Color: Silver
Rep:10
OlGrizz is on a distinguished road

I'll be taking posession of my new 1500 Express Hemi this Fri !!! Stoked is an understatement . Now, should I decide to do an S&B CAI upgrade,will I need to do an exhaust mod as well to get the most out of the air box? I'm an old school motor head from the 70s/80s. Back in the day,when carbs ruled the world,if you wanted to let more in,you had to give it a place to go. I've been searching all these CAI and exhaust threads and it's pretty daunting. My wife is concerned I'm regressing back to my drag racing days,lol. She sees this whole RAM thing as an excuse to rattle the windows and tourment the buzz bombers with the bubble pipes and primer paint jobs,hee hee. Imports on parade . I never will understand the tuner mind set. Anyhow, I do know cold air is preferable to hot air. I always ran better ETs in the fall when the air cooled and dried out some. But,what gains can be expected in conjunction with an exhaust mod in a RAM?
Old 08-26-2012, 07:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Full exhaust with headers plus an intake...and no tuning available.
15-20HP
Old 08-26-2012, 07:30 PM

Grubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond reputeGrubrunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc0311 View Post
I just bought one of these and installed it last weekend. Two things that were a pain the butt: taking off my wheel liner and the fitting the MAF sensor into the grommet in the tube, otherwise it was pretty straight forward, and S&B instructions were great. Loving the intake, I like the throttle response I am getting.
Congratulations on the purchase.

I fully understand about the OEM wheel well liner issues. It was a PITA for me as well.

However, I have no idea what you mean when you say the MAF install was a pain in the butt. What issues did you encounter?

Anyway, again congratulations anf I'm with you on the obvious throttle response gains.

Safe driving.

Grub out!
Old 08-26-2012, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlGrizz View Post
Now, should I decide to do an S&B CAI upgrade,will I need to do an exhaust mod as well to get the most out of the air box?

I highly recommend it!

More in requires a free-er flowing exit path.

Our exhausts systems have serveral restrictions at different paths. Not only are our OEM Y-pipe and mufflers heavily restricted when it comes to flow, but we also have another [often forgotten] horrid crimp on the right bank of our pipe from the headers that is directly under the transmission housing. Our OEM exhaust manifold is nothing to celebrate also.

At the very least, get these three areas addressed by simple cut-n-weld jobs; leaving the OEM pipes. Or even better - particularly if sound/build/fit-n-finish and apperarence is of any importance to you - go the whole shebang with a quality catback [see my sig for a suggestion] and quality free-flowing headers [JBA Cat4ward Shorties].

Consider a quality throttle body down the track also...or even sooner [Fastman TB's].

Quote:
But,what gains can be expected in conjunction with an exhaust mod in a RAM?
If you're speaking of [just] an S&B CAI, quality catback and exhaust manifold [with the problem areas mentioned above addressed], I see no reason why you shouldn't be knocking on the door just north of 20HP.

Good luck.

Grub out!
Old 08-30-2012, 03:15 PM

MPG UPDATE:

I've been HAND calculating MPG gains/losses since installing the S&B CAI in question.

Some backround:

The ONLY other current performance modifications I have on my truck is in my signature. One minor mod not listed there is I have re-piped the crimped OEM RHS bank exhaust pipe [from the manifold] under the transmission. I also run 89 octane Shell or Exxon ONLY at all times. I'm currently running Amsoil 5W20 Signature Series and Royal Purple oil filter, for those that may want to know.

I do have JBA Cat4ward headers & FastMan TB that have NOT been installed as yet.

My MDS is ALWAYS turned off [6th gear] in city driving and re-activated whenever I hit the interstates. I've gotten to doing this down-pat [though it was not that way for a while as I'd often forget] and never miss a beat. It's become habitual actually.

Here's my findings --

Total mileage covered during this evaluation was 3289 miles; stretching from Virginia to North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and New Jersey.

Vehicle currently sits at 8923 total miles traveled on the odometer.

If I had to give a percentage of city VS interstate driving during the evaluation, I would accurately guess it was right around 60/40 [towards city]. Driving habits were relative to my style. I'm not heavy footed by any stretch of the imagination[I leave the fun stuff for my Stang], BUT, from a standstill, I will put my foot down and open it up every so often [especially if it's a Ford or Toyota] and am not afraid to WOT it to overtake on the interstate should the need arise, and should it not. I tried my best to emulated [based on my assumption] the driving habits/conditions of the "average" Hemi driver/owner. I knoiw this is a very subjective thing, but I did my best.

The overall final figure is I saw a 1.34MPG fuel economy gain.

Now this is NOT as good as I've previously seen on S&B CAI's I've owned, but it is what it is. I'm certain different driving conditions/habits over the same distance travelled will yield different results..... even from one Hemi to another taking into consideration additional performance modifications added. Based on this mileage gain, sure it will take a liftetime [and then some] to re-pay for the CAI based on money saved at the pump, but it's still a damn nice intake in every way that's met all of my expectations.... and then some.

Thanks for reading and I hope you're enjoying yours as much as I'm enjoying mine.... S&B CAI, that is.

Grub out!
Old 09-28-2012, 10:52 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:22
FromFordtoRAM is on a distinguished road

I got my S&B in the mail yesterday and can't wait to put that sucker in! I will get the scoop next month as well. That is really the first thing I wanted when I started looking for mods. The first the I looked for was the Hyper-Tech tuner, but we know how that turned out. So thanks!! This post definitely helped my decision making process!
Old 09-28-2012, 12:44 PM

Vehicle: 2012 RCSB Express
Rep:97
mikennrg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'll be taking posession of my new 1500 Express Hemi this Fri !!! Stoked is an understatement . Now, should I decide to do an S&B CAI upgrade,will I need to do an exhaust mod as well to get the most out of the air box? I'm an old school motor head from the 70s/80s. Back in the day,when carbs ruled the world,if you wanted to let more in,you had to give it a place to go. I've been searching all these CAI and exhaust threads and it's pretty daunting. My wife is concerned I'm regressing back to my drag racing days,lol. She sees this whole RAM thing as an excuse to rattle the windows and tourment the buzz bombers with the bubble pipes and primer paint jobs,hee hee. Imports on parade . I never will understand the tuner mind set. Anyhow, I do know cold air is preferable to hot air. I always ran better ETs in the fall when the air cooled and dried out some. But,what gains can be expected in conjunction with an exhaust mod in a RAM?
Ummmm they just enjoy modifying their autos just like we do. I hate this mentality. As much as I love my RCSB Express my EG Civic with a H22 motor is a second and a half faster on the quarter mile. No turbo, no nos, and a stock tune.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:09 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Flame Red
Rep:14
RamRodSport is on a distinguished road

I really wanted the S&B but had terrible problems with a K&N on my 96 RAM then I went with the Volant on my 2002 and it kept coming loose and slipping off. They sent me a newer Intake tube as they were having problems with it slipping off the throttle body (it was the 5.9 360) but it still didn’t help. I ended up ordering the Mopar CAI on Saturday. They gave me 20% off plus I had a $100 gift card for recommending a friend to the dealer and they exchanged a part I had bought for my 2002 that I never used so I had another $86 credit. I ended up getting it for $198. And they are putting it on for me too, they had a special for the month of September for free installation on any accessory bought during the month. I bought the 100,000 10 yr extended warranty on the truck and they said that it will be covered just like the stock intake…. It was a no brainer for me.
Previous RAMs:
Red 2002 4x2 Quad Cab Sport in Flame Red, 1996 4x4 Etended Cab Sport in Emerald Green Matalic
Other Car: 2009 Factory JCW MINI Cooper