DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram - Complete Builds When you are modding everything on your Dodge Ram, this is the place to showcase the build.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-28-2012, 03:38 PM
Demon Ram

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Demon
Color: Mango Tango Pearlcoat
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:515
joeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
Nice truck...a few things though.
Nitrous bottles have a siphon tube in them, the bottle should be angled up with the valve facing forward. Nitrous is a liquid, when your bottle runs low and you go WOT the nitrous will be pulled away from the siphon tube and you'll be spraying nothing. Even straight sideways is better than what you have.

Next...safety. Get a blow down tube in that thing. If the pop off vent goes while you're in there you're in for a world of hurt. That bottle packs enough energy to do this:

Blow down tubes are cheap and easy to install...don't get hurt or killed just to save a few bucks. I've been drag racing for over 20 years...I've seen some gnarly nitrous mishaps up to and including a bottle going off in a car as it pulled out of the track. Screwed up 2 guys pretty bad plus the driver crashed the car when it happened.

Nitrous is a lot of fun...you have to treat it with respect though.
I agree with you about the bottle position, but I chose to mount that way due to it being a cleaner install. Also, these trucks do not pull enough G's for the liquid transfer inside of the tank to move that much. The hydrostatic pressure on the liquid inside of the tank is great enough for the mass to want to be at the bottom of the tank. If I was running 9's, then it would more than likely come into effect. I could work out the exact acceleration required for the liquid to move out of the siphon tube location, but dont really feel like going through my fluid dynamics books. (I'm a Mechanical Engineer grad from Georgia Tech)

That picture of the f body has nothing to do with a blowdown tube. All the blowdown tube does is redirect the nitrous that gets expelled from the tank in the slim chance that the pressure exceeds, i believe about 1800 psi. All modern tanks have a burst disk on the valve and will burst, just shooting the "juice" all over the cab (still wouldn't be fun) That f body had a faulty tank, Just because it blew before the burst valve did. And it looks like he didnt even have it strapped down.

All in all, I agree with you that I need a blow down tube to prevent the slim chance that the burst disk does blow and spray nitrous throughout the cab. BUT don't scare people posting a picture of a demolished car saying that it was a simple failure to install a blowdown tube.

Last edited by joeAEKDB; 08-28-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

1st....leave your fluid dynamics book on the shelf. I don't really care what it says. I'm pretty close with Mike Wood...owner of Nitrous Express. I'll take the word of the man that owns a nitrous company over your textbook. We've had this discussion in person. It's not a lot of liquid when the bottle is low and it WILL move away from the siphon tube....period.

2nd...I never posted that a burst disc failure caused that. I said the bottle has enough energy to cause that to happen in an enclosed vehicle. A disc popping off without a blowdown tube can release enough pressure in a closed vehicle to blow your eardrums. That's a fact. If you're driving down the road when it happens, bad things can happen. That's another fact.

I wasn't trying to scare anyone so don't twist what I said. I'm using my real world experience with over 20 years of messing with this stuff up to and including working on Nitrous Pro Mods to inform you and anyone else reading and considering nitrous use to do things right. Hopefully your personal safety is more important to you than getting pissy on an internet forum.
Don't worry though...I was 24 once too. I knew everything then just like you do now. Old guys like me that have actually done this stuff, not just read about it in textbooks don't know anything.

Have a great day.
Old 08-28-2012, 04:00 PM
Demon Ram

joeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of lightjoeAEKDB is a glorious beacon of light

Listen man no hard feelings. I'm just saying what I know, from education and experience. I too have been around drag racing since I could walk. I was driving a super pro camaro that had a 455 Dart small block with 900hp shot of nitrous when I was 15. I Have my super comp and top dragster licenses. I do agree with what you said, I just know that some people will look at that f body and never again think about playing with nitrous.

PS, I'm not an ignorant know it all 24 year old...
Old 08-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Bully's Performance

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram CC 4X4
Trim Level: Sport
Color: PX8 Black
Rep:1769
fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

I want some nitrous tank upside down

Guys, let's put the rulers away and enjoy this forum and build threads.
You both have amazing trucks
100% Guaranteed to work or we will replace it for free!
Old 08-28-2012, 10:14 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Lone Star
Color: Black
Rep:34
Jchaney579 is on a distinguished road

Trying to find words to describe how amazing those lights turned out...
Old 08-28-2012, 11:29 PM
Bully's Performance

fastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant futurefastNugly @ BP has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jchaney579 View Post
Trying to find words to describe how amazing those lights turned out...
I agree. They turned out pretty sweet.
OP, you did them yourself?
Old 09-02-2012, 06:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:630
moparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to allmoparornocar72 is a name known to all

Love the fuse box mod, what lights did u end up going with, do u have the light on a switch or is it tapped into an ignition fuse?

Proudly Sponsored by Bully's Performance
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM
Demon Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by moparornocar72 View Post
Love the fuse box mod, what lights did u end up going with, do u have the light on a switch or is it tapped into an ignition fuse?
I ended up using 3 1" LED strips from some ebay company. I just had to find something that gave the right amount of light off. I tried using 1" glow stick (FAIL) and led shoelaces (another FAIL). I have everything tee'd into a single 3 way switch (hood and underhood). This way the can be on ignition power until I'm parked at a show and I can flip it to constant power, so I don't have to leave my keys in the truck. I then have another small switch under the hood that controls the underhood leds. So I can drive with the hood on and leave the underhood off, until I'm at a show or something.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Demon Ram

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastNugly View Post
I agree. They turned out pretty sweet.
OP, you did them yourself?
Yeah, I did the complete thing myself. Bought the projectors and HIDs from Jeremy at retroshop.
Old 09-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Bully's Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeAEKDB View Post
Yeah, I did the complete thing myself. Bought the projectors and HIDs from Jeremy at retroshop.
Jeremy provides good service. He did mine as I didnt have the balls to attempt it.
That said, I want to completely black mine out...how difficult was it to paint the chrome bowls without having and runs? What did you use?