DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3277
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

It is a job you can do yourself if you have the time. As others have said, make sure you soak them in proper penetrating oil like PB Blaster or AeroKroil before working on them. A big tip is to put the front end on jack stands, remove the wheels and inner fender liner, allowing you unimpeded access to the side of the block. I never use an impact when removing manifold bolts, so a good 1/2" breaker bar with a snipe (if req'd) does the job.

The benefit of the stage 8 locking set is that it guarantees they can't back out or loosen over time, even from heat cycling. They are also made from a stronger alloy.
Old 08-28-2012, 03:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2005 Ram 1500 5.7L Hemi
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:12
hemibigblack is on a distinguished road

PB Blaster for the win! People on submarines for the military use this stuff for launching secret missiles to secret places that make secret parking lots from secret bad people. In the end though it works. If you use a torch you can use some water too which will break the rust off too. I always loosen and tighten again before going more that a quarter turn with head bolts. They just are picky, like little dogs almost. They really aren't worth the amount to make them but they have the biggest attitudes. There are drill bits too that will help you pull out any snapped ones too.

Lastly I hope they are replacing the bolt they snapped to begin with~ I don't use an impact on headers or exhaust systems but I swear some people don't learn.
Old 08-28-2012, 08:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Trim Level: Express
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

I have had this issue over many years. With any bolt touching exhaust components you are liable to have a break. I have used PB Blaster for many many years and I gotta say it rocks. I also have always used the same technique that Hemibigblack uses, loosen, tighten, loosen always seems to work better for me. Also, who in their right mind uses an air wrench when working on any bolt on a vehicle that is rusted or more than a few years old without using a breaker bar first if it is in a critical location? Umm, lemme guess, some knucklehead that hurries and does not take care because it is not his he's working on, and knows if it breaks he can charge you more because he screwed up as long as he tells you first "hey man I am a screw up and am gonna break your bolts off so it is probably gonna cost you more." In most cases a little caution and prevention can avoid these issues. PB Blaster over a few days first then off to the shop.
Old 08-30-2012, 09:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QC HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
TravRam07 is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys...lots of great info. Looks like I'll be doing the PB Blaster soak and removing the wheels/ fender walls to get to them easier. Looks like it is going to have to wait a few weeks, but nevertheless, I will conquer this beast. Thanks again for all the support