DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-26-2012, 12:11 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: ram 1500 04
Engine: 2002-2008 226ci (3.7L) Magnum/PowerTech V6 215hp 235lb/ft
Rep:10
knobby is on a distinguished road
Default help with front wheel alignment

I thought i was aligning my wheels but realized another post i was reading that i was just adjusting my steering wheel. after i did the adjustment i drove around the block and it felt better not perfect but as i was driving to work which is several miles i realized that i had not made it any better and the steering wheel is nowe off center. i am going to adjust the steering wheel back but is there a quick and dirty way to align the wheels?
Sponsored links
Old 08-26-2012, 12:41 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

An alignment is under 100 bucks...unless you have the 70,000 dollar machine in your garage then pay someone to do it right.
We set up our race cars with stringlines and measurements but I wouldn't do that on my street vehicles.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks not what i really wanted to hear but thats probably what I should do. i have done it on an old ford i use to have but it was a little different. I thought i could get them straight enough to get me by until i could have it done.

Thanks
Old 08-27-2012, 05:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
H3E4M5I is on a distinguished road

there are three angles of alignment you need to worry about.

#1. Toe. it adjusts the front part of the wheel either facing inside the vehicle or outside the vehicle, this is a tire wearing angle, it will wear either the inside or outside part of the tire. it can cause a wander but not a hard pull. tie rods, inner and outter, will cause this angle to go bad.
#2. Camber. is how the top of the tire is angled inside or outside of the pickup. this is a tire wearing angle as well and will cause a pull. ball joints will cause this angle to go bad as well as the control arm bushings to an extent.
#3. Caster. is the struts linear geometry being completely vertical. it can be negative (sitting more towards the rear) or positive (facing more towards the front) not a pulling angle and not as much of a wearing angle. the only thing that would cause this is loose bolts in the strut usually or a bad strut itself. and on most vehicles this angle is non-adjustable.

on your pickup, the toe and camber can be adjusted.

the way vehicles are designed these days you need to have it put on an alignment rack to get it within spec. the old string and tape measure method doesnt work for crap anymore because everything is so precise. I used to work for a firestone and if you spend $160 you can get a lifetime alignment service. you go in and get it aligned twice and it pays for itself after that point on.

also, if you have any lose or worn suspension componets the suspension will not align correctly and will need to be replaced in order to have a perfect alignment.
Old 08-27-2012, 10:43 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

thanks it was fairly easy on my old truck but when i got under the one i have now i was lost. thanks for the input.
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 QC HEMI
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
TravRam07 is on a distinguished road

I am having an issue with outside tire wear as well. from what I have read, my camber is positive (top of my wheels are farther out then the bottom). I am starting to really notice some tire wear and have been to the shop a couple of times and they just keep telling me that they are withing spec.
How do I adjust the camber? I can make a minute adjustment on each tire and correct this problem, I think. Doesnt need much, I just need to be sure and know how to do it. Any help would be great.
Old 08-31-2012, 09:22 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 1500 CC Express 4WD
Trim Level: Crew Cab Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

I would not try to adjust camber without an alignment machine. Positive camber or too much toe in can cause outside tire wear.
Tell your alignment guy your concerns. Even if the camber is "in spec" it can be adjust further negative. I think your spec is 0 degrees, +/- .50 degrees so it can be up to 1/2 positive and still be in spec. Tell him you want it between 0 and -.5, no positive.