DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Hemi Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:34
johnnyG is on a distinguished road

That's one sweet rig
SC 3865, K&N CAI, Fastman TB, Magnaflow Y to 18", sonnax, Zeon LTZs, Bilstein HDs, LEDs everywhere, sylvania ZXE heads and fogs, shorty antenna, all aftermarket audio and subs, linex, ez down tailgate and lots and lots of love.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:07 PM

Vehicle: 2014 RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
2011redrt is on a distinguished road

I agree... I was just saying that it didn't look lower than the bell tech kit. After lowering mine I have been very interested in anyone being able to go lower without cutting and welding. I just don't think it's possible and keep a good ride quality. If anyone could get away with it, it would be you due to the very nice shocks you went with. Good luck and your truck looks fantastic just the way it sits now....
Old 09-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Trim Level: Express
Color: WHITE
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
1sickram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011redrt View Post
I agree... I was just saying that it didn't look lower than the bell tech kit. After lowering mine I have been very interested in anyone being able to go lower without cutting and welding. I just don't think it's possible and keep a good ride quality. If anyone could get away with it, it would be you due to the very nice shocks you went with. Good luck and your truck looks fantastic just the way it sits now....
I was thinking the same thing. The belltech kit looks to sit that low if not lower. Could just be the angles.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:52 PM

Looks sick!!!! how's the ride with that 3/5? Can you get a pic of those 305s if possible, just curious to see if they are flush with the wheel wells.
Old 09-02-2012, 06:11 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickram View Post
I was thinking the same thing. The belltech kit looks to sit that low if not lower. Could just be the angles.
I think a lot of it has to do with tires also. I see a lot of these things with 2/4 drops on stock 20's/stock tires that look lower than they are because there's very little fender gap. It's just an illusion caused by the tall sidewall. A 305/45 would look way different on mine than the 305/40's.
What I don't like about how these things drop is the rear wheeel coming uncentered. I sent an email to Spohn today about making me some new bars 3/4" longer than these to re-center the wheel. If they won't make them I'll make my own....sure would be easier to just buy them though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sickram View Post
Looks sick!!!! how's the ride with that 3/5? Can you get a pic of those 305s if possible, just curious to see if they are flush with the wheel wells.
I'm still dialing in the shocks....the front is a little firm but I'm getting there.
I need to move the rear sway bar links too...I set it at full firm and it's inducing a little understeer. I'd rather it oversteer just a hair.

The rear tires are dead flush. The fronts just barely peek out. The SRT10 wheels could use about 3/16" more backspace really...they are what they are though. You hardly notice it...not like it would be with a spindle drop.

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 09-02-2012 at 06:27 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:21 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Hemi express quad
Trim Level: ST express
Color: Grey
Rep:195
RAM EM has a spectacular aura aboutRAM EM has a spectacular aura about

The ride looks very sweet! You got me thinking about those wheels over matte black ones!...

-DS Trinity- Hemifever tuned - 18" Magnaflow - BT catch can - 180 Tstat - 22" SRT10's - 305/45 Nitto 420 - SG 2/4 drop - blacked out heads/tinted tails - dechromed/debadged - 20% tint-
Old 09-03-2012, 01:51 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 2x4
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Rep:134
hodgeee will become famous soon enoughhodgeee will become famous soon enough
Default thought it would be lower

I have to agree, I just have the 2/4 belltech with the SP shocks, and I have 31.2 inches of tire and rims on mine, and you have 31.6 inches on your setup, and our gaps look almost identical.

I wish I had the QA1's, but I won't spend the money since getting the SP shocks from belltech, probably much stiffer than your setup, but I am happy with it, especially these Proxes ride really smooth, and the extra sidewalls from running a 20" make it pretty smooth.

Well, how has the handling and traction been since installing the rear control arms. I have been really considering doing this mod to my truck, since getting the sphone panhand rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg driver side.jpg (74.3 KB, 107 views)
BellTech 2/4 Street Performer, Spohn PanhandRod, Hellwig Sways, Volant Intake(Donaldson Filter), 85MM Fastman Throttle body, 14" Magnaflow, T1000 w/Hemifever Tune, 180 T-stat, 4.10 Gear Swap, Edge Street Perf - 2600 Stall, Billet Catch Can, E-Fan Swap, ARH LongTubes
Old 09-03-2012, 01:56 AM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 1500 2x4
Trim Level: express
Color: white
Rep:134
hodgeee will become famous soon enoughhodgeee will become famous soon enough

I do want to run offset tire sizes too, I want a 305/50/20 in the rear which will be 31.8"s for better traction to make up for future plans, headers, supercharger what not! Unfortunately, the stock rims already stick out, just a freakin hair, and I know another 1.2" wider tire, would stick out the fender about .6"s, It is almost sticking out now. This is why I have been considering the fender flares from the dealership, they want $400 for the set, then I would have to get them painted too! and I don't know how this would look?????? But I would love to keep the stock wheels. I don't care for the dark rims, unless they are on a black truck, cause the whole blacked out thing looks freakin sweet. I have been looking for rims for a while, and everthing looks too thin for me, with such a big truck. The stock rims totally compliment the body, just my 2 cents!
BellTech 2/4 Street Performer, Spohn PanhandRod, Hellwig Sways, Volant Intake(Donaldson Filter), 85MM Fastman Throttle body, 14" Magnaflow, T1000 w/Hemifever Tune, 180 T-stat, 4.10 Gear Swap, Edge Street Perf - 2600 Stall, Billet Catch Can, E-Fan Swap, ARH LongTubes

Last edited by hodgeee; 09-03-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:00 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

My stock rims were already 22's and I didn't want a 305 tire on a 9" wheel. As far as how much it dropped, all I can do is post the difference in measurements I took from the parts I installed.
I had an amount of gap I wanted and that's the number I shot for....hit it within 1/8".

I plan to play with this thing on some road courses as well as drag race it so I'm trying to build a cohesive suspension system that works, not just a drop kit that lowers the truck.
These are the parts I could find at the time...as far as how well they work I can't say I have an opinion yet. It of course handles better than stock but I haven't driven it enough yet to dial it in and get the understeer I'm after. It'll likely take some track time to accomplish that.

As far as the blacked out thing...here's my other truck that I sold on Friday.

It doesn't get much more blacked out than that....I wanted something lighter this time but I'm still anti chrome. And really....black wheels on a silver or white truck....everyone does that including my brother with his 2012 F350 with black BMF's on it. lol
At 7600 lbs that thing could hang with Corvettes and such on the twisty roads then destroy them on the dragstrip with the 900+ HP motor under the hood. It would embarrass most peoples audio systems as well with about 10K in a strictly SQ stereo system.

I don't like building one trick ponys...or trucks that only do one thing well. I like to build total package trucks. That's my plan with this one too.

Last edited by UNBROKEN; 09-03-2012 at 09:11 AM.
Old 09-03-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNBROKEN View Post
I think a lot of it has to do with tires also. I see a lot of these things with 2/4 drops on stock 20's/stock tires that look lower than they are because there's very little fender gap. It's just an illusion caused by the tall sidewall. A 305/45 would look way different on mine than the 305/40's.
What I don't like about how these things drop is the rear wheeel coming uncentered. I sent an email to Spohn today about making me some new bars 3/4" longer than these to re-center the wheel. If they won't make them I'll make my own....sure would be easier to just buy them though.

I'm still dialing in the shocks....the front is a little firm but I'm getting there.
I need to move the rear sway bar links too...I set it at full firm and it's inducing a little understeer. I'd rather it oversteer just a hair.

The rear tires are dead flush. The fronts just barely peek out. The SRT10 wheels could use about 3/16" more backspace really...they are what they are though. You hardly notice it...not like it would be with a spindle drop.

thanks bro, looks really good. ive been building hot rods and street trucks for 12 yrs. and i'm super anal about all my rides. oh yeah and that 250 is nuts!!!