DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-30-2012, 08:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 dodge ram 1500 4x4
Trim Level: laramie
Color: white
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:55
srt93 will become famous soon enough
Default 2010 dodge ram 2500 diesel

Hey guys just in the process of looking at a 2010 dodge ram 2500 6.7 cummins. Is it true that with the new dodge diesels that if you chip them you have to do head studs? Any advice helps, thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 08-30-2012, 09:35 PM

Vehicle: 2012 dodge ram 2500
Trim Level: big horn
Color: black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:53
skinnysfd will become famous soon enough

it depends on the tune/program you put on it. I believe the stock head bolts are good for up to about 45-52 psi of boost but not completely sure. If you run a h&S mini maxx or black maxx and dont hot rod the sh$t out of it you should be fine. Most of the guys that are haveing the troubles with head gaskets are running a wild tune and either hotrodding around or pulling alot or driving around not pulling and then hooking to a trailer and giving it hell.
2012 RAM 2500 HEMI AFE CAI flowmaster dual exhaust,airlift 5000 bags w/onboard compressor,shaved tailgate,2.5" lift/level tuftruck front springs,bushwacker pocket flares,gear alloy wheels, goodyear duratracs 315/70/17,bd gt hemiplus tuner much more coming
04.5,2006 5.9l cummins
Old 08-31-2012, 07:06 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt93 View Post
Hey guys just in the process of looking at a 2010 dodge ram 2500 6.7 cummins. Is it true that with the new dodge diesels that if you chip them you have to do head studs? Any advice helps, thanks!
That is a very vague question that is subject to a lot of variables.
Simple answer is NO!
Do some digging around (research) and you will get some detailed information, understading and knowledge.
For the most part if you are responsible with the power you will be fine.
The leading contributors to a blown head gasket from what ive seen are:
A) running it hard on a cold engine ( hot rodding before it's up to operating temp). If towing big loads let it warm up too.
B) High EGT's
C) Excessive Exhaust back pressure spikes (EBP) (keep that below about 45psi to be safe)
D) On the flip side, overboosting (stock turbo is only good for about 38psi before it loses efficiency and creates more heat than power)

I run the H&S Mini Maxx on wild (120hp) with no advanced turbo tuning (ATT) daily and up it to the Hot Damn tune (175hp) on road trips for fuel savings. I set my defuel for 32psi so that keeps my EBP in check when I am driving a little spirited. The advanced turbo tuning tune (defualt tune) is a little more responsive, but my EBP was spiking around 50psi pretty quickly and easily at only 26-28psi of boost. The Non-ATT tune is closer to a 1:1 ratio (boost to EBP) so even when I need to pass someone quickly and my boost pressure shoots up to mid-high 20's quickly my EBP never goes above 40psi.

Head studs never hurt though... What are your plans for the truck?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
SloScooter is on a distinguished road

I also run the h&s and ride around on the hit tune all the time for fuel savings. My Rpms never go above 2k as I didn't get the tune for hp. I mostly got it to raise my fuel economy into the 20's. Which it does now with dpf and egr deleted rolling on 35's. I have about 62k miles on the truck since the delete and turbo back 5" exhaust. Truck runs so much better. If not hot ridding I don't see the need for head studs at this point and time. If you race the truck sure better be safe tha. Sorry and do head studs.
Old 09-03-2012, 03:33 AM

Vehicle: 2007 RAM
Engine: 2007-2011 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 650lb/ft
Rep:64
NWRQC will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloScooter View Post
I also run the h&s and ride around on the hit tune all the time for fuel savings. My Rpms never go above 2k as I didn't get the tune for hp. I mostly got it to raise my fuel economy into the 20's. Which it does now with dpf and egr deleted rolling on 35's. I have about 62k miles on the truck since the delete and turbo back 5" exhaust. Truck runs so much better. If not hot ridding I don't see the need for head studs at this point and time. If you race the truck sure better be safe tha. Sorry and do head studs.
Quick question. You mentioned that your RPM never goes above 2k RPM, have you noticed any drop in fuel economy over time by driving like that?
The reason why I ask is because I drive in a similar manner most of the time (1800-2200rpm range) and have noticed that my in town economy drops over time....down to about 13mpg-14mpg. It seems that if I run it hard a bit, the fuel economy climbs back up to 16mpg+ in town. I forget what my Sig says, so I am deleted with 4" TBE, EGR unplugged and my MM on wild.
Thanks.