DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LOWERING or STANDARD Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-08-2012, 09:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: Express
Color: Dk cherry red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough
Default Belltech 963 sp..... Not impressed

First off let me say I am a bell tech long time user, and this is my 15th lowered vehicle, so I have done this a while. I got a 12 express qc and did the 963sp after the rave reviews. Well, I disagree and here is why.
First is I like a kit that honestly feel different, tighter and better thru control. This is only tighter because there's little travel left.
Next, my 2/4" actually did 1.5"and 3 1/4". So it really doesn't look lowered either.
Finally, w 300 lb tongue weight of my boat it squats it completely to the bump stops.

I was hoping to go 3/5 or more...my last truck was 5/6 and rode just as good if not better. (mc gaughys on it)

My plan now is mc gaughys spindles added to the front but who knows for the rear. I don't think i can believe the guys that claim 6" or more rear drop. As I said I am 3.25" and close to the suspension hitting at the axle.

I hate to sound so negative, I really am a very positive person, but as I said I've been thru this more than a dozen times so I know what to expect I feel. This kit is ok, not great. Btw, I coil cut my dads 12 express qc , oem shocks and it looks and feels identical to my $500 kit, that sucks.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha
Sponsored links
Old 09-08-2012, 11:49 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

Those spindles will push your front wheels out about 1/2"....not gonna look good with those SRT10 wheels already flush with the fender.

Read my drop thread for the parts I used on mine...I think that would have given you what you're wanting.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:24 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 QC
Color: Dk cherry red
Rep:130
GregInAtl will become famous soon enoughGregInAtl will become famous soon enough

I had spindles ans 3" drop springs both and srt10 wheels on my last one... I just trimmed fender lips and it tucked fine.
That pushed out look is because the arc of travel starts higher in the wheel well, it's just the nature of drop spindles unfortunately.
My 12 ram is on 20" oem wheels still, prob won't do srt wheels this time anyway. I am interested in QA1s but wonder if I'll still need helper bags.

06 Stratos 201 Pro XL 225 Yamaha

Last edited by GregInAtl; 09-09-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:44 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram R/T
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Silver
Rep:123
UNBROKEN will become famous soon enoughUNBROKEN will become famous soon enough

The "pushed out" thing is because the McGaughys spindles are 1/2" wider than OEM. It's been documented many times. I wish they weren't...I would have preferred to use them myself.
Old 09-09-2012, 11:03 AM

Vehicle: 2014 RT
Trim Level: RT
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:25
2011redrt is on a distinguished road

I am not saying you didn't measure right and I agree with the long term use of BT and not being as happy with this round of product they chose to release. I am asking the question, are you sure it only dropped 1.5" in the front? Has it settled any from the time you posted? All the concerns so far that I have read on here and from personal experience with BT and the "new" RAM trucks is the front was lower than expected. I just ordered my kit last Friday from Jegs and it should be here on Tuesday. I hope they have not tried to change something mid stream with-out notice or kit number change to identify what they have done.

Now for the rear, I could not agree more that there is no way of getting 6" drops on these truck and it still function.... "function" meaning it works as intended in every day application and not just a "show" truck. I, myself, do not even see a 5" drop and it still function properly. However, as it has been stated many times on this forum, you will not be able to pull trailers or haul heavy loads with these drop springs and no helpers. It's just not in the cards for this design so you should not have been too shocked when you ran into issues.

I hope it all works out for you in the end and please keep us posted on the front measurement to see if the springs seat in and give you the 2"+ drop like we have all seen in the past. I know it took mine a couple weeks (2011 RT) before it was in that sweet spot.

Can you give more detail on your dad's truck and how you cut to drop it? I have lowered more trucks than I can remember and several by cutting springs. Most of those were S-10's and a few full size regular cab Fords. I just have some concerns about the full size RAM CC as there is a considerable amount of weight being supported. I still think its possible and thought about trying it on mine before installing the BT kit just to see what I can make happen and how it rides. Did you cut the rear too?
Old 09-09-2012, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Color: WHITE
Rep:10
1sickram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
I had spindles ans 3" drop springs both and srt10 wheels on my last one... I just trimmed fender lips and it tucked fine.
That pushed out look is because the arc of travel starts higher in the wheel well, it's just the nature of drop spindles unfortunately.
My 12 ram is on 20" oem wheels still, prob won't do srt wheels this time anyway. I am interested in QA1s but wonder if I'll still need helper bags.
greg those spindles are gonna poke out those wheels and look terrible, on the 09-12 rams they cause about a 1/2 inch added to the stance in front.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:22 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Express Regular Cab
Color: WHITE
Rep:10
1sickram is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregInAtl View Post
First off let me say I am a bell tech long time user, and this is my 15th lowered vehicle, so I have done this a while. I got a 12 express qc and did the 963sp after the rave reviews. Well, I disagree and here is why.
First is I like a kit that honestly feel different, tighter and better thru control. This is only tighter because there's little travel left.
Next, my 2/4" actually did 1.5"and 3 1/4". So it really doesn't look lowered either.
Finally, w 300 lb tongue weight of my boat it squats it completely to the bump stops.

I was hoping to go 3/5 or more...my last truck was 5/6 and rode just as good if not better. (mc gaughys on it)

My plan now is mc gaughys spindles added to the front but who knows for the rear. I don't think i can believe the guys that claim 6" or more rear drop. As I said I am 3.25" and close to the suspension hitting at the axle.

I hate to sound so negative, I really am a very positive person, but as I said I've been thru this more than a dozen times so I know what to expect I feel. This kit is ok, not great. Btw, I coil cut my dads 12 express qc , oem shocks and it looks and feels identical to my $500 kit, that sucks.

another thing i would check too is that they are the correct springs as well. I have read in several places where they put chevy springs in the dodge kits.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:00 PM

What a mess. I hope my kit does not have issues. The first concern was BT putting regular cab spings in CC kits and as it has been posted with pictures on here the fender sits on the front tire.

That is why I questioned it but didn't know this might be a bigger issue. I hope it's just a matter of time to let the spring rest. I know they will not drop much more or at least shouldn't but having to pull them for a packaging issue would stink!
Old 09-09-2012, 09:47 PM

Vehicle: 2009 ram 1500 QC 2wd
Trim Level: Big horn
Color: Brilliant black pearl
Rep:150
Ramfd has a spectacular aura aboutRamfd has a spectacular aura about

I just rechecked mine after about 5 months and the front was at first 1.5" but now is at exactly 2" lower, but the rear is still at 3" lowered not 4. I did of course have to install an airlift 1000 kit due to the rear bottoming out with normal driving and no load in the bed. But i used airlift kit 60824 and when i installed it i had no increase in rear ride height after wards. I will deflate them and double check measurements to make sure they are not the reason for the 1" increase.
Belltech 2/4 Drop, Mufflex delete, aFe stage II intake, Pace Edwards Jackrabbit bed cover, Rhino Linings Spray in bed liner, Debadged, Red LED bed lighting, Airlift 1000 kit (part# 60824), Nitto 420s 285/50/20
Old 09-09-2012, 09:54 PM

I just went back and found that part number for the air bags to order mine tomorrow. That is what I was thinking as far as what to expect for the springs to settle, about a 1/2".