DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-31-2012, 07:32 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
williecarrillo is on a distinguished road
Default Straight pipe ? test pipe?

i was wondering if you can just buy a straight pipe to get rid of the catalytic converter? without having to cut of weld anything? and besides making it loud and giving the truck a lil power is there anything else i should worry about ?
Sponsored links
Old 08-01-2012, 02:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1998.5 Dodge 2500HD 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Laramie
Color: Black
Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)
Rep:57
ArtNJr will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by williecarrillo View Post
i was wondering if you can just buy a straight pipe to get rid of the catalytic converter? without having to cut of weld anything?
I haven't seen a "test pipe" for sale for years & shops have told me they were "outlawed" by Gov't. regulations. Wouldn't be hard to make one though, you'd just need the flanges for either end, a piece of pipe the right length & maybe access to a pipe bender. Although you can buy pre-bent sections & piece together a pipe with bends in it.

Quote:
besides making it loud and giving the truck a lil power is there anything else i should worry about ?
Inspections, assuming you have them in your State. And a "test pipe" wouldn't increase the noise level much @ all -- but it would most assuredly improve flow. Also, if you can't get away running no converter @ all, the are aftermarket versions which flow a lot better than stock.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:49 PM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

Ha, Art. Guess I'm not the only one that remember's the "test pipe". They were also outlawed here in NJ years ago because the loophole that allowed the "test pipe" was closed.

Some states probably allow them, or at least probably allow them to be produced. Having one and using one can be two completely different things.

Willie, most Advanced Auto's or Autozone have suitable pipes that strangely enough if you put two of them together usually come out perfect. Most have universal "flange clamps" or flanged ends that can be clamped or welded to the cat flange.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:44 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Ram 1500 QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Color: Grey Metallic
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
bigVtwin is on a distinguished road

Wouldn't removing the cat mess with the post cat O2 sensor? I'm not sure if the superchips or diablosport have a test pipe feature but it might be something to look into. Better flow = more power, but limp mode = no power.
Old 08-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge ram
Trim Level: slt
Color: red
williecarrillo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock III View Post
Ha, Art. Guess I'm not the only one that remember's the "test pipe". They were also outlawed here in NJ years ago because the loophole that allowed the "test pipe" was closed.

Some states probably allow them, or at least probably allow them to be produced. Having one and using one can be two completely different things.

Willie, most Advanced Auto's or Autozone have suitable pipes that strangely enough if you put two of them together usually come out perfect. Most have universal "flange clamps" or flanged ends that can be clamped or welded to the cat flange.

Thanks guys I'm defiantly going to give this a try
Old 08-01-2012, 09:27 PM

Engine: 1998-1998 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 24-valve Diesel I6 235hp 420lb/ft (manual), 215hp 420lb/ft(auto)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigVtwin View Post
Wouldn't removing the cat mess with the post cat O2 sensor?
Yes it would -- a sensor after the cat that gives information to the ECM for adjusting the air/fuel ratio would give the wrong information with the cat removed.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Is tired of the BS too

Vehicle: 1995 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Cloaking
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:1776
Warlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant futureWarlock III has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Warlock III Send a message via Yahoo to Warlock III

The only way I know around it is to add an 02 simulator or delete.

There are complete simulators out there but ^ is a spark plug non fouling tip with the center drilled out to accept the 02 sensor.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:45 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

The post cat O2 sensors don't provide any input for A/F ratios to the pcm. Only the upstream O2 sensors do. The downstream O2 sensors are mainly just for evaluating catalytic efficiency(if the catalytic converter is good or faulty). Removing the cat will throw a CEL but won't effect performance(due to that code/light). You can do the spark plug non fouler trick to keep this code/light from showing up and it works most of the time.

The main reason for doing it is so if ANOTHER code is thrown(say random misfire, emmisions code, whatever....) you realize it and can correct it. If the CEL is always on(due to the O2 sensor and cat converter removed) then you won't know when another code is thrown.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-09-2012, 03:42 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST
Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
redram2007 is on a distinguished road

What if you were to straight pipe it do away with the cats drill hole and weld a nut and then reinstall the O2 sensors? Would you lose any performance due to back pressure. Im wanting to install headers and was thinking of going that route? Any suggestions would be awesome.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redram2007 View Post
What if you were to straight pipe it do away with the cats drill hole and weld a nut and then reinstall the O2 sensors? Would you lose any performance due to back pressure.
Back pressure would not be the issue -- but the change in the content of the exhaust gasses would. If you remove the catalytic converter(s), the O2 sensor(s) would give the engine control module the wrong information since the factory ECM settings assume the converter is there, altering the content of the exhaust gasses (including oxygen). I'm not a chemical engineer so I can't tell you exactly how the content of exhaust gasses is changed by the converter(s), I just know that it is, and that in applications using different fuels an engineer friend of mine is working on, the sensors have to be changed or the engine won't run right.

Quote:
Im wanting to install headers and was thinking of going that route? Any suggestions would be awesome.
Several companies make headers / exhaust systems with bungs for exhaust sensors already welded in place, but you'd be better off using aftermarket free-flowing cat converters than eliminating them. Again, exhaust sensors (on a dyno we call them "sniffers") are set for a given range of exhaust gas content & if you do away with the converter(s) altogether, the exhaust gas content will be different & the sensors will be sending information to the ECM which indicates something's wrong -- then the ECM will alter the air/fuel ratio & the engine won't run right.

Oh the wonders of modern technology! Ain't like the "good ol' days" when you could tune a carburetor with a screwdriver, set the ignition timing by ear, etc. & you didn't have to worry about the content of the exhaust gasses! Also, my 1998 Dodge/Cummins diesel truck didn't come from the factory with a cat converter, so making my own free-flowing exhaust was no problem & I don't have to worry about not passing a State inspection because there's no converter!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg truck_Biltmore1.jpg (69.8 KB, 0 views)