DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > Dodge Ram Detailing and General Maintenance Forum > Oil Change

Notices

Oil Change Ready to change the oil in your Dodge Ram? Engine -Trans - Differential - Transfer Case

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-21-2012, 01:13 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 1500
Color: sage green
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
AndyL is on a distinguished road
Default 2012 1500 / 4.7 - oil change interval

Commuting sucks on the pocket book

Anyone know, what is the dodge policy on oil change intervals if one switches to synthetic oil? I'm racking up km's - to the point it's a monthly oil change...

I'd kinda like to find a way to extend that a bit... Monthly is a tad excessive, but I don't want to screw myself on warranty either...
Sponsored links
Old 09-21-2012, 01:45 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

How often are you changing it? I believe the owner's manual calls for something around 6000 miles. I do mine with amsoil synthetic OE(their cheapest product) every 5000 miles. It's cheap insurance, could probably go longer, or use another product and go longer, but 5000 mile intervals is easy to remember and is a few months for me so not too often. I get it for $4.40/qt.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I'm getting the idiot light at 6000kms, the dealer did the typical 5000km/3000mi sticker on the windshield - so I'm guessing that's when I'm going to see the light again? Yet the service manual said first service at 13,000km for oil change / rotation - but that seemed way too long for a break-in oil change to me...

Not sure who to believe - is the dashboard idiot light dealer set off mileage or is there a particulate sensor or?!?
Old 09-21-2012, 01:59 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

If the owner's manual says 13,000 km then that's ok to do(that's what, like 8,000 miles?).

IMO it's beneficial to change the oil sooner on the first change, but not required.

Honestly I wouldn't listen to the dealer(or their sticker). Go by the manual.

The light on the EVIC is set off based on some complex algorithm that takes in to account idle time, full throttle time, average rpm, average engine temperature, time, etc. It is not a know all indicator, more of a guide/reminder. Mine goes off roughly every 2,500 miles. I just reset it and change the oil every 5,000miles as I said I do above.

I'd do it yourself, it takes me less than 15 minutes, it's very easy. By the time you get to the dealer I'm back inside having a beer

More frequent oil changes will never hurt. I could probably do 10,000 miles on this oil I use, but am not positive. I am positive that 5,000 miles is more than safe, so if I waste $30-$60/year in oil changes then oh well....cheap insurance if you ask me.

Old 09-21-2012, 02:20 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
I'm getting the idiot light at 6000kms, the dealer did the typical 5000km/3000mi sticker on the windshield - so I'm guessing that's when I'm going to see the light again? Yet the service manual said first service at 13,000km for oil change / rotation - but that seemed way too long for a break-in oil change to me...

Not sure who to believe - is the dashboard idiot light dealer set off mileage or is there a particulate sensor or?!?

There is no break in period for these engines, they are broke in at the factory.

Change your oil to full synthetic, and get your oil tested after 6000klm if it test well, do the next test at 8000klm, Synthetic oil will last longer than conventional mineral oil, if the book says conventional oil is to be done at 13k, then you should be good with synthetic to that amount, the testing of this oil is just to give you piece of mind and its only about 24$ to get it done.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:24 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I dunno about the already broke in - might say that, but we all know it takes a while for a drivetrain to 'really' break in... Just because it got an hour or two on a bench in the factory - doesn't mean it's really ready to go.

I'm leary of the DIY oilchanges - as I've already had a multitude of warranty issues with this truck... So for now at least, I'm just gonna 'tow the line' and let the licensed shops deal with the oil changes. Then there's no dispute over servicing. (My other vehicles get serviced at home).
Old 09-21-2012, 05:32 PM

It's all up to you, but I've never had a dealer argue with me about warranty over DIY oil changes. If you for some reason have an engine related failure, just have your receipts and documentation of when you changed it ready in a file and you're good to go.

The engines ARE broken in at the factory. The way you drive it for the first say up to 1,000 miles(and the miles after that...) still effects it, but not drastically. The rings are properly seated by the time you get the car, which is the most important part of the break in. The main reason the manual says not to hammer it WOT right away is to break the ring and pinion in.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:59 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyL View Post
I dunno about the already broke in - might say that, but we all know it takes a while for a drivetrain to 'really' break in... Just because it got an hour or two on a bench in the factory - doesn't mean it's really ready to go.

I'm leary of the DIY oilchanges - as I've already had a multitude of warranty issues with this truck... So for now at least, I'm just gonna 'tow the line' and let the licensed shops deal with the oil changes. Then there's no dispute over servicing. (My other vehicles get serviced at home).

He is talking about the oil in the engine, there is no brake in period for the engine. The Transmission is a diff story
Old 09-22-2012, 02:37 AM

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Big Horn
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:41
CaptJon is on a distinguished road

Man if I was knocking down the miles like that I would use Amsoil signature series for the 1 yr or 25K changes and do samples. I did that on my last truck. I don't drive much at all now. Sounds to me like you already answered your own question.