DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2012 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2012 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2012 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2012, 08:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram
Color: Mineral Grey
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:22
FromFordtoRAM is on a distinguished road
Default Plasti-Dip......FAIL!!!!!

I just spent the better part of 3 1/2 hours cleaning, taping and prepping my grill. It took so long because I was just doing the cross in the middle, so I had to tape it very carefully to get all the curves just right. I also used WAY more news paper than I need for fear of over spray. After all that I did 5 coats, waiting 15 minutes in between. 10 minutes after the last coat I started to remove the tape. It went well until I got to the points of the cross. What did I do wrong?? Please help!!!
Sponsored links
Old 09-25-2012, 08:26 PM

Pics...

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumvi...f.jpg.html?o=1

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumvi...c.jpg.html?o=2

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumvi...d.jpg.html?o=4

http://m1270.photobucket.com/albumvi...3.jpg.html?o=5

All of the edges looked like that, except for the top one. I'm very very unhappy!! At least I know it'll look good when I get over having to tear it off, and then try again!!!!
Old 09-25-2012, 08:49 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT Quad
Color: Silver
Rep:164
Mattones has a spectacular aura aboutMattones has a spectacular aura about

I see what you mean.. I plan on doing the same so I'll be keeping an eye on what may have happend.

Cat Back Magnaflow Exhaust stainless, Tinted Front Windows, Painted Engine Cover, Red Calipers, LED Reverse Lights, Lightbar and 4 Hella 500
Old 09-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Rep:10
ndcart is on a distinguished road

First of all, I commend you for your elaborate prep work.

I've found that to get clean edges, you have to peel the tape while the plastidip is still wet. Makes it tough to get all of the coats you need. I just don't wait as long in between coats. I lay them down pretty quickly, then peel the tape ASAP. Seems to work pretty good.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:01 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

You would of had to do the whole paint job in one shot, not wait for it to dry between coats, plasti dip is like paint, but its not paint, so you can't cut it with tape the way you would paint. you basically put on the equivalent of your 5 coats in one pass, then un-tape before plasti-dip dries. You should remove the grill from the truck and put it on a level surface, paint downwards and hope you don't get to many drips

here look at this it will give you an idea of what i mean

Old 09-25-2012, 09:11 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: R/T
Color: Flame Red
Rep:86
jdvelchek will become famous soon enough

Yep, need to do it before it dries. I know, it goes against what you think you are supposed to do.... multiple coats and all. I had same trouble with it on another project.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:29 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Color: White
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Rep:26
Moose612 is on a distinguished road

A second thought with the edges the way they are maybe a little overspray might be for your benefit? Maybe if you spray overthe edges when you peel the overspray up it will all tear at the corners and be even. I could be wrong though just an idea.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
You would of had to do the whole paint job in one shot, not wait for it to dry between coats, plasti dip is like paint, but its not paint, so you can't cut it with tape the way you would paint. you basically put on the equivalent of your 5 coats in one pass, then un-tape before plasti-dip dries. You should remove the grill from the truck and put it on a level surface, paint downwards and hope you don't get to many drips

here look at this it will give you an idea of what i mean

That was perfect, things!! I ended up watching a bunch of their videos which is kinda good and bad! I now know how to fix the problem yes, but I also got a lot of ideas for projects!!! One thing though, how do I get the grill off?
Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 PM

Vehicle: .
Rep:4371
Asur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond reputeAsur has a reputation beyond repute

Remove the top shroud taking care when pulling out the 4 plastic tree darts that hold on the plastic piece on top of the radiator. It is easy to rip the heads off them, sway them side to side as you pull up, a puller is best when removing them. Put some masking tape on the bumper cover to protect it cause when you pull the grill out at the bottom it can hit the top of the bumper and you will scratch it as the bottom of the grille pops out. So now at the top, remove the 4 bolts holding the top of the grille, then gently lean it towards the front. Reach behind the grille and use a long screwdriver to GENTLY lift the big plastic clips (one on each side) at the bottom that are holding the grille in. Pull the grille's bottom towards the front to disengage, this is where it will come forward and may scratch your bumper cover, so hopefully you put some tape to protect it. Once you get a hang of it, you will not need to tape it since you know where it can hit. That's it.
Old 09-26-2012, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asur View Post
Remove the top shroud taking care when pulling out the 4 plastic tree darts that hold on the plastic piece on top of the radiator. It is easy to rip the heads off them, sway them side to side as you pull up, a puller is best when removing them. Put some masking tape on the bumper cover to protect it cause when you pull the grill out at the bottom it can hit the top of the bumper and you will scratch it as the bottom of the grille pops out. So now at the top, remove the 4 bolts holding the top of the grille, then gently lean it towards the front. Reach behind the grille and use a long screwdriver to GENTLY lift the big plastic clips (one on each side) at the bottom that are holding the grille in. Pull the grille's bottom towards the front to disengage, this is where it will come forward and may scratch your bumper cover, so hopefully you put some tape to protect it. Once you get a hang of it, you will not need to tape it since you know where it can hit. That's it.
You've been a ton of help in many different areas. Thanks!! I'm very new to this forum and I definitely appreciate people like you taking the time to help. Thanks again!!