DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:38
vonirkinshtine is on a distinguished road
Question Tow/haul mode...what does it do?

Good afternoon all.

I do quite a bit of towing with my 2005 4.7L and I'm very confused about the tow/haul mode. What exactly does it do? What changes in the engine/transmission program when it's pressed?

The reason I ask is all it seems to do for me is make the transmission shift randomly. When I think it should shift, it doesn't. And when I don't want it to shift, it does.

Example: When I'm accelerating out of the parking lot up to 45mph it will make the 1-2 shift just fine (around 15 or 20mph), but it tries its hardest to NOT make the 2-3 shift. I'll be going 45mph and my truck will be running about 4500 RPM and I have to almost completely let off the gas to get it to up shift.

Is this normal?
Sponsored links
Old 09-11-2012, 08:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Tow/Haul mode generally raises the shift points, but not drastically. A 2-3 upshift that doesn't happen until 2700 output RPM (4500 engine RPM) at light throttle sounds way too high. You might check to see whether your throttle position sensor is reading correctly.
Old 09-12-2012, 08:27 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

How would I go about checking the TPS?
Old 09-12-2012, 08:33 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

You'd need a scan tool that can display the TPS reading. Then just see if the TPS reading varies correctly as you move the pedal from closed to wide open. Dealers and shops will have scan tools, so they could check it for you. Some parts stores may have scan tools you can borrow to read codes, etc. (figuring you'll buy the parts you need from them). Don't know if they have scan tools that can check the TPS but you could ask.
Old 09-26-2012, 04:25 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Ok, a buddy of mine with a scan tool drove around with me today. Here's what we found:
-With my foot off the gas the TPS reading consistently returns to 11.7%.
-At W.O.T. the TPS reading consistently climbs to 72.x% and no higher.

So...bad TPS?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonirkinshtine View Post
Ok, a buddy of mine with a scan tool drove around with me today. Here's what we found:
-With my foot off the gas the TPS reading consistently returns to 11.7%.
-At W.O.T. the TPS reading consistently climbs to 72.x% and no higher.

So...bad TPS?
I'm not sure. I don't know how your scan tool is converting from volts to %. Can you check the TPS voltage also? That should be at a low value (like maybe 0.35 V) at closed throttle, and a high value (maybe 4.25 V) at WOT. It should never go below 0.1 V, and never above 4.5 V. We usually keep the actual min/max values about 0.25 V away from these limits.

Can you also read output shaft speed with the scan tool? Any way you could read both (TPS voltage and output RPM) at the same time? It would be ideal if you could give me a few shift points (at different TPS voltage levels), comparing normal mode with Tow/Haul mode. For example: At 2.3V TPS, the 2-3 upshift occurs at 2480 output RPM in normal mode, and 2800 output RPM in Tow/Haul mode. At 3.1V TPS, the 2-3 upshift occurs at 3060 output RPM in normal mode, and 3330 output RPM in Tow/Haul mode.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:33 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
I'm not sure. I don't know how your scan tool is converting from volts to %. Can you check the TPS voltage also? That should be at a low value (like maybe 0.35 V) at closed throttle, and a high value (maybe 4.25 V) at WOT. It should never go below 0.1 V, and never above 4.5 V. We usually keep the actual min/max values about 0.25 V away from these limits.

Can you also read output shaft speed with the scan tool? Any way you could read both (TPS voltage and output RPM) at the same time? It would be ideal if you could give me a few shift points (at different TPS voltage levels), comparing normal mode with Tow/Haul mode. For example: At 2.3V TPS, the 2-3 upshift occurs at 2480 output RPM in normal mode, and 2800 output RPM in Tow/Haul mode. At 3.1V TPS, the 2-3 upshift occurs at 3060 output RPM in normal mode, and 3330 output RPM in Tow/Haul mode.
Nah, my buddy's scan tool can't go into that much detail. It wouldn't even give me an indication of what gear, or if OD was on or off. He said that SCT software supports reading and logging of the 4.7L ECU and that's what I'd need to 100% diagnose the issue.

How do you check your TPS voltage vs. shift points?
Old 09-27-2012, 08:40 AM

I'm just saying, if your scan tool can display TPS voltage and output RPM, then start from a stop, open the throttle say halfway and hold it steady, and count the upshifts. You'll see the TPS voltage level (maybe 2.5 V) on the screen (try to hold it as steady as you can). Watch the output RPM. Note the RPM when it makes each upshift (and have a helper write them down). Then do the same thing again at maybe 3/4 throttle (maybe 3.2 V TPS), etc.

So hold the throttle at a certain TPS level, then read the output RPM at each upshift.