DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 09-25-2012, 11:03 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2001 Ram
Trim Level: Base
Color: Blue
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:11
dezertrunner is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRCM View Post
Really ???? If they sit higher than yours, but with the same size tires, their transfer case also sits higher than yours.
I don't have a transfer case, I don't have time to go slow.
Old 09-27-2012, 03:35 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Color: white
Engine: 2002-2003 360ci (5.9L) Magnum V8 245hp 335lb/ft
Rep:10
deedub97gt is on a distinguished road

dezert you know the words your typing arent making much since right bud?

if you have a 2 wheel drive and are trying to go fast why are you lifting your truck? kind of contradictory there.

anyways back on subject...anyone have any good recommended lifts? skyjacker has a couple to choose from but only 6"

and has anyone ever heard about needing a "thick" ring and pinion in the front for bigger than like 3.92's ?
Old 09-27-2012, 10:07 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2012 Ram Laramie 4x4 CC
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: White w/silver trim
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:63
TRCM will become famous soon enough

Yes. The thick ring gear can be used instead of buying a different carrier on many axles.

As the pinion size shrinks with lower gears, the ring gear must move towards the pinion centerline for the gears to mate properly. This is why you have different carriers for different gear ratios.

On some axles, you can use a ring gear with a thicker backside which moves the teeth towards the pinion centerline to avoid replacing the carrier. Sometimes it is more cost effective, some times not, all depends on how much the carrier costs.

If using a stock carrier, just get the new carrier for the gears you want to use, but if using a detroit locker or similar, it would be cheaper to get the thick gears than replacing the $500 & up carrier/diff.

I have a good friend who sets up gears, and he HATES using thick ring gears, as he says they are harder to setup right.

If you need a thick gear for higher than 3.92, it sounds like the carrier break for the axle is 4.10 & up, or use thick gears.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedub97gt View Post
dezert you know the words your typing arent making much since right bud?

if you have a 2 wheel drive and are trying to go fast why are you lifting your truck? kind of contradictory there.

anyways back on subject...anyone have any good recommended lifts? skyjacker has a couple to choose from but only 6"

and has anyone ever heard about needing a "thick" ring and pinion in the front for bigger than like 3.92's ?
Here's a lowly 2wd that will smoke every truck on this forum:

Now that THAT is out of the way...

Are these hack lifts you are talking about lifting the frame by increasing the angles of the front drive shafts? If so, you are trading in damaged transfer cases for extremely short lasting axles. Lifts wear parts out, really fast. Unless a kit includes longer arms (for IFS trucks) and extended axles, it's junk.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:58 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

TRCM thanks for all your help! im going to compare prices between carriers and thick gears now! im not too worried if they are harder to get the spacing right. ive done lots of ring and pinions on my ford...i got pretty good at it lol.

dezert, sorry man when i think lifted truck i think mud/farm/rock crawling truck not a race truck. my bad.

most lifts ive looked at use different spindles and shocks up front and leafs or blocks in the rear, some come with a new trans mount, and thats about it. also i dont mind replacing an axle every 100k - 150k miles. neither of us can begin to count the amount of people that have 6" of lift and never had to change a thing on there truck. and here i am just wanting a lowly 4" lift to help me get around my land.
Old 09-28-2012, 09:19 PM

Quote:
TRCM thanks for all your help! im going to compare prices between carriers and thick gears now! im not too worried if they are harder to get the spacing right. ive done lots of ring and pinions on my ford...i got pretty good at it lol.

dezert, sorry man when i think lifted truck i think mud/farm/rock crawling truck not a race truck. my bad.

most lifts ive looked at use different spindles and shocks up front and leafs or blocks in the rear, some come with a new trans mount, and thats about it. also i dont mind replacing an axle every 100k - 150k miles. neither of us can begin to count the amount of people that have 6" of lift and never had to change a thing on there truck. and here i am just wanting a lowly 4" lift to help me get around my land.
Good Luck !!

I go with my friend, as he has set up many axles for drag cars, and I know he is running a 8.5" ring gear in his 3400 lb, 1100 hp drag car (all motor), and has had no gear/axle issues from setup.

He did replace the ring gears last year (after close to 10 yrs of abuse), cuz when he checked them, the ring gear was riddled with spider cracking, and not just the teeth, but everywhere.

It's crazy watching a car that looks like a slightly modified street car with slicks, launch and carry the front wheels 500 ft down the 1/8 mile spinning the rear tires the whole way and still turns a 5.2 sec run in. And I don't mean carry them a few inches up...I am talking feet here.

Here's a pic of it when it only had 850 hp under the hood

Last edited by TRCM; 09-28-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks again TRMC

I've learned the same way, i have a single turbo built engine 97 mustang GT that makes just under 650 to the wheels. 647 to be exact lol. did all that myself, and i stripped out a LOT of ring and pinions until i went ahead and just built the entire rear end. got good at changing them lol

but looking at prices it isnt much of a difference anyways will most likely just get the carrier to speed up the installation process and prolong the life. and as i said before THANK YOU!
Old 09-30-2012, 02:47 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

alright im making a change of plans. trying to find all this stuff in 4:10 is anoying the sh*t out of me.

so a phrase comes to mid - go big or go home.

im going to go ahead and get the 4:56 front and rear with a LSD out back and new front carrier and be done with it.

still cant find a decent lift lower than 6" though....

another question, couple threads ive read said they had to do some grinding to get a 4:56 gear to fit? how often does this happen?

Last edited by deedub97gt; 09-30-2012 at 03:05 AM.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:50 AM

NO experience with the newer axles, but I did have to remove about 0.030 off the high side of 2 teeth on the ring gear on my old 9 1/4 to get the center pin back in with a 4.56 gear set.

IN hindsight, had I known this was gonna be an issue, I'd have test fit the gear set first.

I called and asked the gear maker, and they said it is not uncommon on those axles to have tooth interference with the pin if you don't test fit them first.

Never had any noise or issues with the gears, so I guess it didn't hurt them at all (gear maker said it would be fine).
Old 10-05-2012, 09:52 AM
Banned

Quote:

So increased angle no longer decreases axle life? Interesting, I'll be sure to make a note of that the next time I recommend a customer stay away from a hack China lift.