DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-12-2009, 10:57 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500
Trim Level: ST 2X4
Color: Bright Silver Metalic
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:236
GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about
Default DIY 2009 CAI tips and tricks?

Ok. I am thinking about doing this as my first do yourself mod. on my 4.7l 2009. I am looking for any extra info (or pics) of the details of going this. I have seen the other threads but they generally show the finished (or near finished) product and not the details.

I'm look for instructions on what specs others had to take. Specifically, what do you do with the AIT. Is it easy to relocate into the new CAI. I was thinking of drilling a hole in one of the tube with a spade tip drill bit and then putting in a rubber grommet if I can find (anyone know where I can find an appropriate size grommet).

Also what do you do with the vacum tube/breather hose attached to the stock intake? I thought I might use a pvc tube with a screw in clean out port and install a hose adapter I can clamp too in the port cover? Any other ideas?

If I do this I'll doccument thuroughly.

Also anyone know the warrenty status doing such a mod? I've also been debating a K/N cone filter or if I should use a high flow dry filter because of the theoretical warrenty issue there (although it may be moot if I would void the warrenty anyway). Incidentally has anyone actually had a problem at a dealer with having a oiled drop in filter or is that issue not really inforced. It seem pretty absurd to say a high quality filter such as a K/N would void your warrenty.

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Sponsored links
Old 10-12-2009, 02:30 PM

Vehicle: 1998 Dodge Dakota
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Red
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:276
Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

I am copying this from a similar thread about a DIY 4.7 intake. First to answer your questions.

I'm look for instructions on what specs others had to take. Specifically, what do you do with the AIT. Is it easy to relocate into the new CAI. I was thinking of drilling a hole in one of the tube with a spade tip drill bit and then putting in a rubber grommet if I can find (anyone know where I can find an appropriate size grommet). You can do that. Relocate the IAT near the filter, or in effect, away from the engine so the temperature readings are closer to the actual air temperature versus being affected by the radiant engine heat. Grommets are a few cents at local hardware stores. I am unsure of the actual size, but there are diagrams on other forums that could help, or have someone help you at the store. You may be limited by the length of your IAT, but you can splice in wire to extend it, or buy an extension.

Also what do you do with the vacum tube/breather hose attached to the stock intake? I thought I might use a pvc tube with a screw in clean out port and install a hose adapter I can clamp too in the port cover? Any other ideas?

You can reattach the PCV into intake, or add a small breather filter ($5-10 at an autozone/napa/etc). The breather filter is the cleanest approach unless you have Emissions checks, then you will need to recirculate the gases.

Also anyone know the warrenty status doing such a mod? I've also been debating a K/N cone filter or if I should use a high flow dry filter because of the theoretical warrenty issue there (although it may be moot if I would void the warrenty anyway). Incidentally has anyone actually had a problem at a dealer with having a oiled drop in filter or is that issue not really inforced. It seem pretty absurd to say a high quality filter such as a K/N would void your warrenty.

I have no personal stories, but we have no MAF sensor the oil to Fubar. There is a clause on aftermarket products that claim they cannot void your warrenty. On homemade applications it may be different.

This following information is basically outlining why the BFI from AirFlowInnovations is the best choice, and if that is completely out of your budget, I hope you can take information from this post and apply it to your build.

Bernoulli's principle is used to explain fluid dynamics and how fluid can be accelerated by the change in pressure. It applies to gases that are unchanged as well. Air entering the BFI at the Large 6" opening on the high-flow filter will flow into the TB and move from that 6" opening to a 3.5" elbow that mates up with the Throttle body. A property that effects Bernoulli's principle is that of friction and resistance. The air entering the intake is moving so fast it is unable to change in temperatures enough to affect the principle itself. The design of the BFI allows it to reach air from a pocket away from the engine heat and in route to the Throttle body, the flow is extremely smooth without any friction or resistance .

If you can make a HomeBrew intake taking the principle of (even if you arent able to utilize a gradually decreasing Diameter) smooth flow and velocity you will have a winner. Try to start large at the filter and allow it to smoothly flow from the filter to the Throttle body without any sharp decreases in tubing sizes that would cause turbulence (which negates the velocity principle and smooth flowing air). I think any intake with an open element filter will be louder and might enable a slightly better flow of air, but to increase performance and to add a killer sound, the large metal resonating smooth tube of the BFI is the best example.

I have no personal examples of a homemade intake on a 4.7 truck for you, other than what I have seen online.
Old 10-12-2009, 05:00 PM

GPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura aboutGPSHSLAX has a spectacular aura about

I'm familiar with that message. I've been reading up on CAI's as much as possible but my budget is ... well, zero. I could swing something homemade though since the only real expense is the filter.

Do you know if the IAT screws in or just slides in tight (never removed it before, I suppose I could just to experiment).

Haden't thought about using a small fiter on the breather. Incidentally, what does it do?

Also, I forgot ask, any tips on removing the hat? I can only see one bolt, and then it is attached to the TB? Is that all or are there any other hidden attachments?

Mods: Thule Xsporter 422XT bed rack, Underrail Rhinolining, MOPAR class IV Hitch, DIY CAI, Aero Turbine 3030.
Future Mods/Wishlist: Tuner, Daystar Comfort Ride 1.5" Leveling kit, Nerf Bars, Police style push bumper with light guards, KC or Thule trail lights, HID projector lights.
Old 10-12-2009, 06:09 PM

Leadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the roughLeadfootluke is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
I'm familiar with that message. I've been reading up on CAI's as much as possible but my budget is ... well, zero. I could swing something homemade though since the only real expense is the filter.

Do you know if the IAT screws in or just slides in tight (never removed it before, I suppose I could just to experiment). It is just slide in. But it has basically a barb that keeps it in there. Much care is needed when removing it. Basically make sure if you do wiggle it, you keep it as straight as possible as the tip can be broken off. Here is an image of it. The arrow pointing to IAT sensor is pointing right at the area that rests inside the grommet. You can see it jut gets pushed into the grommet enough for that barbed area to catch.

Haden't thought about using a small fiter on the breather. Incidentally, what does it do? The breather allows for pressure from the crank case to be vented. When the gases are vented on your stock intake, they go from the tube into the intake again and get reburned. A small filter just means the gases are not being burned a second time.

Also, I forgot ask, any tips on removing the hat? I can only see one bolt, and then it is attached to the TB? Is that all or are there any other hidden attachments?

This is from a 2003 4.7. There are the 2 bolts pictures and the collar on the TB

[IMG][/IMG]

Hope this helps, any more questions let me know.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:04 PM

That was terrific! Exactly the type of help for which I was hoping.

I still only see one bolt on the hat (even in your picture) but that is probably the least of my worries.

Thanks so much for the help.

Old 10-12-2009, 09:22 PM
I push the skinny pedal

Vehicle: 2009 Blown 349 Hemi
Trim Level: Sport - Modified
Color: Brilliant Black/Snake Skin Green
Engine: 2009-2012 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:3272
CdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond reputeCdnoilRAM has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I'm all for DIY so looking forward to see how you make out.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPSHSLAX View Post
That was terrific! Exactly the type of help for which I was hoping.

I still only see one bolt on the hat (even in your picture) but that is probably the least of my worries.

Thanks so much for the help.
No problem at all.

I've worked on a few 4.7's and a few 5.7's and I can't remember what the differences are in their entirety. Just remove the bolt you see (may be one under the hat on the passengers side? Trying to recall... ). Then slip the hat towards you off the TB. Remember to disconnect the PCV and IAT harness first, then remove the sensor once you have the hat in your hands. The hat is a huge restriction, so that has to go.

Keep this measurement in mind when buying collars as well.

Old 10-13-2009, 12:24 AM

Thanks man,

All great info. I would give you more rep. if I could but I just did on the previous post. Perhaps others will find this as helpfull as I and send some more rep your way.

I'll keep 3 1/4" in mind. Perhaps I'll have some pics to add to the library of CAI info soon.

Old 10-14-2009, 02:30 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2003
Color: Charcoal
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
TheJuggernaut is on a distinguished road

I just wanted to throw this out there, as I am finishing my DIY cold air intake on my 03 Ram as well. After it was all said and done, I spent about $50 on the K&N cone filter, and then an additional $25-$30 in PVC pipe, connectors, glue, etc.

Then i noticed on eBay a bunch of cold air intakes made for our Ram. I don't know how reputable the company is, but there are tons of intakes for about $60 on eBay. They have a cone filter (a couple had dual intakes...Oooh) and then aluminum tubing bent (professionally, it appeared) so that it matched the Dodge Ram engine space. I was a bit disheartened when i saw that it was cheaper than this little homegrown project. Has anyone seen or heard any feedback about these assemblies?

On a separate note, the hardest part that I had to figure out was how to make sure this intake is fitted secure and won't rattle out if I do some off-road driving. That would spell disaster for the engine.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:48 PM

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Cab Cummins
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Pearl White
Engine: 2011-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 350hp 800lb/ft
Rep:12
LS Eater is on a distinguished road

What is this Hemi Hat and where is it? What does it look like? I have a CAI so does that mean mine is gone? Please help!