DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2009 1500
Trim Level: TRX4
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:15
Liredneck is on a distinguished road
Default Rough idel after overheat

The other night I was on a long drive probably 6 hours and at the end the truck overheated. I parked and checked in the morning and it was down about 2 gallons of water . I dont know where it went as the oil looks fine and I cant find any leaks or spots on the ground. but after i filled she starts and idels rough, only for a few minutes or less then shes fine. What should i lokkf for? Im hoping its not a ahead gasket but as i said the oil looked fine. Theres no reason i know off that a truck should just lose 2 gallons of water without leaking unless its the head gasket? Do you think overheating could of fouled a plug or something ?
Sponsored links
Old 07-31-2012, 06:03 PM

I just checked for codes and it's all good with that . Also it had a slight exhaust leak that got pretty bad on that long drive . Not horrible I could still drive it and you wouldn't notice unless you knew motors or I pointed it out . Could that have to do with rough idel on start up ?
Old 08-09-2012, 03:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 03 Ram Off Road QC 4x4
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
OffRoadRam25 is on a distinguished road

Sounds to me like more of a head gasket problem. I had the same problem on mine and didnt have any water in the oil but it would just idle rough and the biggest sign was a little white smoke when I would start it after letting it sit overnight. Problem got persistantly worse until I ended up replacing the motor.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:57 PM

Well it died on me the otherday , 3 hours from home in the middle of a bridge at rush hour . Yea I was a popular guy that day lol. It's at a buddy's shop now I don't think he's had a chance to look at it yet but were pretty sure it's the head gasket . Maybe a few Burt valves also . Is the 4.7 worth rebuilding or should I look into a reman or somethn?
Old 10-07-2012, 10:52 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2002 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
KDodge75 is on a distinguished road

Did you ever find out what was wrong?

I'm betting, when it overheated, some of the hardened valve seats fell out causing the valves to hit them. They might have reseated themselves but there's probably damaged valves and seats and the seats probably aren't seated properly now or may be cocked.

These engines are prone to head gasket leaks. If you don't notice the signs of coolant in the oil when you change your oil and you don't notice the coolant level getting lower and lower, it will eventually overheat.

When it overheats, the valve seats can fall out partially or all the way causing damage. Also, the lifters can fall out. If you are lucky like I was, the lifters won't cause damage when they fall out and you can just pop them back in. If the seats reseated themselves without damage to themselves or the valves, you might be ok going forward once you get the leaky gasket fixed.

The problem, however, is that the heads are probably warped and may be too out of tolerance to be machined.

I liquid glassed mine 4 years and 50,000 miles ago and just keep an eye on it more often than usual. If I see the coolant leven going down again, I'll remove the heads, check everything for specs and cracks and fix it properly.