DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 2ND Generation Dodge Ram 1994 to 2001 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.2L V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2012, 11:02 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Engine: 1994-2001 318ci (5.2L) Magnum V8 220hp
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road

FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK BACK!!! Having only driving it a few weeks and having it gone for, what? 2 months, I was being to forget why I was bothering waiting and not just forcing them to take it back... I love this truck Not a rattle or a shake or a squeak. Engine runs so smooth you cant feel or hear it. Suspension is tight but not to much. Doesnt have any foo foo in side so no electronics are messed up... It acts like a brand new pick up... now I remember why I fought to keep it Trans seems to work flawlessly so far and shifts smooth as glass. But will keep a very very close eye on it. First off, she needs a bath and some new fluids. Full synthetic and a 15,000 mile oil filter after that. Then Ill start putting my upgrade list together. Lacking in both HP and MPG. If I can get another 35 hp and 5 mpg outta her, Ill be a happy clam
Old 10-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
FINALLY GOT MY TRUCK BACK!!! Having only driving it a few weeks and having it gone for, what? 2 months, I was being to forget why I was bothering waiting and not just forcing them to take it back... I love this truck Not a rattle or a shake or a squeak. Engine runs so smooth you cant feel or hear it. Suspension is tight but not to much. Doesnt have any foo foo in side so no electronics are messed up... It acts like a brand new pick up... now I remember why I fought to keep it Trans seems to work flawlessly so far and shifts smooth as glass. But will keep a very very close eye on it. First off, she needs a bath and some new fluids. Full synthetic and a 15,000 mile oil filter after that. Then Ill start putting my upgrade list together. Lacking in both HP and MPG. If I can get another 35 hp and 5 mpg outta her, Ill be a happy clam

Good for you, glad to hear the truck rides nicely.

As far as the 35+HP and 5MPG, I can help with those. I can first tell you it's much easier to make HP then it is to make more MPG, and it isn't because of weight do our trucks suffer in terms of economics but aerodynamics is what ultimately kills.

Anyways getting 35 more HP and getting 5 more MPG at the same time is going to cost you alot of money. But I can tell you how to get more HP without giving up a whole lot of MPGs.

You need a few things to get your extra 35HP.
1. Mopar Performance ECM
2. Comp Cams 20-604-9
3. Long tube headers, I recommend you get small tubes no larger than 1-5/8
4. New lifters and pushrods

Now to get the extra 35 HP or more with 5 more MPG's it's going to cost you thousands.

You have to be careful with these engines because they have horrible problem with detonation and ping, the ping because of the carbon buildup due to a having little squish (large quench distance) and detonation for the same reason. The ping is brought about by the excessive carbon build up due to the squish, the carbon causes a hot spot and then you get PING. The detonation occurs for numerous reasons with these engines according to my research I have been doing lately. More specifically they also have poor lift, a minimum of .5" is good lift for these engines and that comp cams gives you .512", The 318 and 360 are great engines lots of potential, just need cash to get everything out of it.

Anyways glad to hear things are all resolved.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: 2001 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: Economy
Color: White
Rep:10
Goatboy is on a distinguished road

Im most likely wishing more then anything on the 35/5. A few things I have read about are much easier and some what cheaper.

Cold air intake said to be good for a few extra horses
Full synthetic oil for a hp or two
Throttle body and spacer? (am the most unsure to this one. Would guess more hp but equally less mpg.
And like you suggested, a bigger exhaust.
New chip (same as new ECM?) Again, dont know much about this one either.

To be realistic, if I could get 20/2 Id still be happy. And as you said its the aerodynamics thats the killer and I have no intention of flatting out the front end ill just have to settle with some stuff I can do... To bad that tornado air thing and the 75hp chips are bogus. Its amazing what kinda crap you can come across looking for better mpg
Old 10-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 1995 Dodge Ram B2500 Van
Trim Level: SLT - 2500
Color: Deep Molten Pearl Coat, Silver, Grey
Rep:128
ramvan2500 will become famous soon enoughramvan2500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatboy View Post
Im most likely wishing more then anything on the 35/5. A few things I have read about are much easier and some what cheaper.

Cold air intake said to be good for a few extra horses
Full synthetic oil for a hp or two
Throttle body and spacer? (am the most unsure to this one. Would guess more hp but equally less mpg.
And like you suggested, a bigger exhaust.
New chip (same as new ECM?) Again, dont know much about this one either.

To be realistic, if I could get 20/2 Id still be happy. And as you said its the aerodynamics thats the killer and I have no intention of flatting out the front end ill just have to settle with some stuff I can do... To bad that tornado air thing and the 75hp chips are bogus. Its amazing what kinda crap you can come across looking for better mpg
Flatting out the front of the truck would actually hurt the aerodynamics, there isn't a whole lot that can be done to improve the aerodynamics of the truck, it isn't even the drag coefficient it's the frontal area, the drag coefficient ties into the frontal area directly but the larger the frontal area the more power is required to do the work.

Anyways little things added up can get you that 20 more hp, getting 2 more mpg in addition to the 20 more hp cannot be done cheaply no matter what, if you increase HP you almost have to increase the fuel injector sizing but let me clarify this, larger fuel injector if you are making a LOT more hp. These engines have a thermal efficiency of around 22-25% which for it's time isn't all that bad but compared to today it sucks. In order to get the best of both worlds (power and mpg) you need to basically re-engineer the engine in just about every possible aspect (which is what I'm doing currently).

Well to answer your questions.

1. Cold air intake, these trucks already have a cold air intake, you could probably get another 5-10HP by ram air, but this cost money to cut a hole in the hood to do such.

2. Synthetic won't do much for HP, synthetic is good because it has a better cold start protection. If you use a thinner oil it helps with friction reduction but these motors don't permit a thin oil.

3. Ok the throttle body spacer! It will do jack crap, only thing it will do is increase your plenum volume (very little) which will improve low end torque (minimally) and will slow down the throttle response.

4. Changing to small tube full length headers or just about any header system will only show a benefit with the proper cam shaft, intake manifold, in/ex valve diameter. In those cases the ECM would come into this mix. The exhaust system on every production vehicle is tuned perfectly for the entire engine, some exceptions out there but for our engines it's just about perfect, these engines because they are emissions controlled rely on back pressure to operate properly and efficiently (if you can believe efficiently). But you can rarely get more hp and mpg together without laying down big bucks, you would literally have to change the entire dynamics of the engine.

I could get you a crap load more HP I mean a crap load but I don't think you are going to get better mpgs.

As for tuner chips and such, some of the real good ones the tuners that actually reprogram your ECM can help you get one or the other only, but not both. Sadly just changing the ecm or just changing the exhaust or just changing the intake isn't going to do anything you kindof have to change everything to increase hp and mpgs.

One thing you can do to help decrease engine wear if to use a good quality oil or a synthetic, personally I don't like synthetics I prefer old fashion valvoline I been using it forever and well things keep working. But get a synthetic fiber air filter, they are much less restrictive then paper filter elements. You aren't going to notice a HP increase but it helps a little with mpgs and I mean very very little like for our engines maybe 1/8th more mpg. But the fact it puts less wear on the engine should be good enough that and you can clean and reuse synthetic fiber filters (tada!).

There is just very little that can be done without spending decent money, I've tried.

You could if you haven't already get rid of the viscous fan and get a electric fan, that will remove a majority of the load on the water pump shaft bearing so the pump lasts longer, but you also remove that direct mechanical load and since the pulley system is a under drive system the load the fan makes is great. The e-fan will help free up aprox 2-4 HP and you may get another 1/8th mpg so you are up to 1/4 mpg not bad for say 200 bucks!

Drive with the pickup tailgate closed not open, the roof of the truck is designed to deflect the wind over the top of the tailgate. The open tailgate increase the drag period. I cannot tell you if you will notice gains in hp or mpg, there will always be a change but it's goes un-noticed.