DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram – 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Suspension

Notices

Suspension 3rd Gen Dodge Ram Suspension Problems and Questions

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 1500 Big Horn
Trim Level: Big Horn Edition
Color: Atlantic Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:36
MelbaToast is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Bilstein 5100 series shocks Write-Up

Bilstein 5100 series DIY How To

I figured I would do a little write-up on the Bilstein 5100 series shocks as I came across a lot of threads asking a lot of the same questions when I was searching to figure out which shocks I wanted to use to replace my old worn out factory ones.

I don’t know if the way I did it is the fastest way or best way but this worked great for me and I’m sure will help a lot of people. This is for the front only as installing the rears took me less than 5 minutes and is a 0 on the hard to do scale.

For those of you who live in colder climates where they use salt on the roads and rust is a big issue be ready to fill up the swear jar as the bolt that goes through the lower A-arm for the strut will be seized so badly to the inner metal sleeve you’ll think the whole bushing has to come out with the bolt.

Alright, here are the step by step instructions on how I completed this task.
  • Remove brake caliper and tie it to the frame with some wire.
  • Remove rotor and set aside.
  • Remove upper sway bar end link bolt along with the metal washer and rubber bushing.
  • Remove bolt for the upper ball joint BUT DO NOT SEPARATE YET. Keeping this connected to the spindle will help when using the BFH to hammer out the bolt that is seized in the lower bushing.
  • Remove the 3 nuts on top of the strut hat.
So now you are ready to tackle the infamous seized lower strut bolt (for those of you who didn’t have this problem.. I hate you lol)
  • Required for removing this I recommend an impact gun, a 3lb sledge hammer, a punch with a pointed tip, 18” or longer Johnson bar/breaker bar, penetrating oil, and a torch.
Begin by removing the nut off the bolt, don’t worry about needing a wrench on the bolt I promise you it’s not going anywhere yet. With the nut off spray with penetrating oil (I found WD-40 worked well) and let it sit for a good while. This is the chance to get caught up on any household chores you’ve been putting off. After about 30 minutes of spraying the bolt and bushing with penetrating oil my dad and I took the torch and heated both ends of the bolt, watching the rubber bushing very carefully as you don’t want to destroy this. Take the 18” Johnson bar and start pulling, you’ll find that the rubber bushing inside the a-arm is just twisting with the bolt and not actually turning, keep applying heat to the bolt periodically and penetrating oil every now and then. Once we got the bolt to spin freely when we put the impact gun on it we used the sledge hammer and hit the tip of the bolt like it owed us a lot of money, once the bolt is pushed into the bushing you’ll have to take the punch and hammer it through the rest of the bushing (this whole ordeal took us about an hour to do on each side, and it was NOT be easy.)
  • Now you have the strut floating between the upper and lower A-arms. Take the sledge hammer and give the upper A-arm a few good hard taps and it will separate from the spindle allowing you to wiggle the strut out.
  • To remove the spring I just rented a spring compressor kit from Part Source and did it myself. I had to take a file to the shaft of the old shock in order to make a flat surface to clamp and adjustable wrench onto to keep it from spinning while using the impact gun to take the nut and bearing off the shock with.
  • Using a vice, clamp the spring perch from the old shock and pull it off, you’ll be re-using this on the new Bilstein shocks. You also need to remove the cap from the old shock to get the spring perch off, again I just clamped it in the vice and twisted until it came loose and pulled off.
  • Reassemble the new shocks according to the instructions. This was pretty straight forward and easy.
  • Depending on which setting you have the Bilsteins set at you’ll have to compress the spring even more to get the bearing and bolt back on. I put mine on the second notch.
  • Finally put the new strut back in the truck and reassemble everything. I put the sway bar end link back together, then the upper ball joint and finally the brakes.
Before I put the bolt back in the lower strut bushing I made sure to use a lot of antiseize grease on the shaft of the bolt to make future disassembly hopefully easier.

The end result; the front of my truck now sits 1.5” inches higher and the rear sits 0.5” higher. The truck has a much nicer stance, the shocks ride and feel great and I couldn’t be happier with my decision to install the Bilstein 5100 series shocks.

Hopefully this helps anyone deciding to buy these to make a well informed decision and installation a breeze. Since I am a very visual person I find pictures always help with instructions so here are a few.

The 3 things you need take apart to remove the strut.

Everything taken apart and ready to tackle the lower strut bolt.

Strut assembly removed.

Area I had to file so I could get and adjustable wrench on so the rod wouldn't be able to spin.

I forgot to take a picture of the new assembly but this shows that I didn't have any problems with the spring compressor kit. Looks sketchy but I felt totally fine using it.

Cheers,
Mike
Sponsored links
Old 10-09-2012, 12:53 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2006 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Mineral Grey
Rep:81
age525 will become famous soon enough

Good write up

S&B Cold Air Intake, American Racing Headers, DB Performance Cat Back Exhaust, Recon LED Taillights, Bilstein 5100's, Nitto Terra Grapplers, Diablosport Predator, Recon Line of Fire, JL Audio 10W3 StealthBox, Alpine iDA-X305s Head Unit, Detroit TrueTrac
Old 10-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: RAM
Rep:10
mabuz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by age525 View Post
Good write up
Thanks for sharing. Still deciding if I want to just do the Bilsteins, or go with a small lift all around. This will be helpful if I go the first route.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:06 AM

Vehicle: 2007 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:27
OfcrFr is on a distinguished road

Awesome write up sir! I wil be doing the 5100's on my 07 4x4, one thing? what is the part number 5100 for the front struts?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:34
pstreifel is on a distinguished road

That is the Series number you can find these on Autoanything.com its under suspension
Old 10-13-2012, 06:34 PM

Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

i am in need of new suspension but like mabuz i cant tell if i just want to get a lift or the 5100 series. none the less, this is a helpful write up

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar
Old 10-13-2012, 10:11 PM

Trim Level: SLT Big Horn
Rep:27
OfcrFr is on a distinguished road

are these the correct ones? I mean I dont want to order the 5100 for a ford or something

Bilstein 24-186988
Old 10-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thank you everyone for all the kind words. For a daily driver these shocks are perfect! When I was looking to replace mine it was a toss up between these and the Bilstein HD series (non-adjustable) and there was only about an $80 dfference in total.

I've put almost 1000km on the truck with these shocks and I absolutley love the little bit of extra height from only putting it on the second notch and ride quality. They feel stiffer over the stock shocks but don't make the ride harsh.

I'll post up a picture of the stance I achieved from these when I get home from work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OfcrFr View Post
are these the correct ones? I mean I dont want to order the 5100 for a ford or something

Bilstein 24-186988
That's correct. I ordered mine off of Summit Racing, even after shipping and handling they were still ~$100 cheaper than Parts Source (Canadian).
Old 10-17-2012, 10:53 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Sorry for the crappy cell phone picture. I am going to Plasti Dip my rims black for the winter so I will get better pictures once I do that.

The tires on the truck right now are 285/50r20 which are 31.3" tall where as stock size is 33" tall.

Old Measurements
Front (Ground to top of wheel well arch) - 37"
Rear (Ground to top of wheel well arch) - 39"

New Measurements
Front (Ground to top of wheel well arch) - 38.5"
Rear (Ground to top of wheel well arch) - 39.5"

Old 10-20-2012, 02:01 PM

Color: Red
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:139
SnoylCC5 will become famous soon enoughSnoylCC5 will become famous soon enough

i like the look. i really want to order some. why do you only have 31's right now??

Mods: Debadged, plasti-dip all chrome, 2.5" leveling kit, 10000k HID's, Superchips Flashpaq 3865, red interior LED's
Soon to come: 6" suspension lift, 35" or 37" tires, New rims (undecided), 5% tint all around, LED tailgate bar