DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 4TH Generation Dodge Ram 2009+ Dodge Ram Trucks > Body & Interior

Notices

Body & Interior 4th Gen Dodge Ram Body & Interior Problems and Questions.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

How were you reading the thread and driving across the desert? Did you keep looking up to see if they were watching you? You do know that the interior camera notified the CIA and that wasn't just a comercial airliner that was above you and flying low. Don't you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissouriNomad View Post
The conspiracy theory aspect of this thread is even spookier if reading while rolling across the Arizona dessert at 0430.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Deep Water Blue
Engine: 2009-???? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:52
astroman54 will become famous soon enough

The sensor you're questioning is an infrared sensor used to do the climate control..

Andy
Old 10-16-2012, 03:53 PM

infrared? Hmm. I don't think they'd use a light sensor for temp control.

*****Most temperature sensors used in climate control systems are thermistors which are solid state electronic devices that change their electrical resistance in response to temperature changes.******
Old 10-16-2012, 04:10 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

funny that you mentioned the Arizona desert
The first time that i saw the reflection from the green Ash Tray Light, i was driving on Interstate 8 or 10, in the wee hours of the morning.
In the desert at night, you are not really watching the road, you are looking for anything that may impede your driving, rubber from tires, furniture, coyotes of both kinds, the animal & the human kind
Just seeing another vehicle out there at that time is a event in itself. Buildings or towns with lights on, is something to slow down for, mostly looking for a coffee shop.
Then i noticed this eerie green light just outside my passenger side window, at first i thought it was some kind of settlement way out in the distance, but it kept right up with me.
Many thoughts were going through my sleep deprived mind ..................
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle

Last edited by GTyankee; 10-16-2012 at 04:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 PM

Vehicle: '12 Ram Sport CC / '02 Durango
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:154
emjohn4 has a spectacular aura aboutemjohn4 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjohn4 View Post
Correct - if he has the auto climate control (or even potentially remote start), it is an infrared thermometer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by astroman54 View Post
The sensor you're questioning is an infrared sensor used to do the climate control..

Andy
Quote:
Originally Posted by xsdbs View Post
infrared? Hmm. I don't think they'd use a light sensor for temp control.

*****Most temperature sensors used in climate control systems are thermistors which are solid state electronic devices that change their electrical resistance in response to temperature changes.******
xsdbs, you may wish to reconsider the meaning of "infrared."

I would suggest you consider that an infrared thermometer records thermal radiation emissions, and determines a temperature from its readings.

An infrared thermometer does not rely on conduction to determine a temperature, as a thermistor does. The ambient air temperature sensor, located by the drivers side headlight, is an example of a thermistor, which is in direct contact (conduction) with the ambient air.

Some light reading on:

Infrared Thermometers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer

Heat Transfer (specifically conduction): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductive_heat_transfer

Last edited by emjohn4; 10-16-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: clairfy quotes
Old 10-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2012 Ram 1500 Sport Crew Cab
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:26
Miami Son is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by redward View Post
The manual said to look there for a flashing red light when I was programming my garage door opener with the homelink. After a few tries and obviously no red light, I noticed that the EVIC was doing the programming. So conspirasy theories aside I believe that it is a vestigial remain of homelink evolution.
The flashing red light refers to non-EVIC equipped models. You'd think Chrysler would have noted that somewhere in the manual.
Old 10-17-2012, 11:31 AM

Well, you are somewhat correct. The thought that I had was that the infrared is generally used in dual zone climate controls and in the vehicles that I have worked on, there were generally (2) sensors not just (1). The was a sensor facing toward the driver and (1) toward the the passenger. In a single zone HVAC system, I have always seen a thermistor behind a grill on the dash. So because there is a single item that is being discussed here and it faces downward, I had my doubts about it being "infrared".
However, I am willing to be wrong, if someone says that "yes, it is an infrared temp sensor, here's the schematics. Then I would be learning something, of which I have no problem doing.
Thanks for the links. Good reading.

Quote:
xsdbs, you may wish to reconsider the meaning of "infrared."

I would suggest you consider that an infrared thermometer records thermal radiation emissions, and determines a temperature from its readings.

An infrared thermometer does not rely on conduction to determine a temperature, as a thermistor does. The ambient air temperature sensor, located by the drivers side headlight, is an example of a thermistor, which is in direct contact (conduction) with the ambient air.

Some light reading on:

Infrared Thermometers: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrared_thermometer

Heat Transfer (specifically conduction): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conductive_heat_transfer
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Well, you are somewhat correct. The thought that I had was that the infrared is generally used in dual zone climate controls and in the vehicles that I have worked on, there were generally (2) sensors not just (1). The was a sensor facing toward the driver and (1) toward the the passenger. In a single zone HVAC system, I have always seen a thermistor behind a grill on the dash. So because there is a single item that is being discussed here and it faces downward, I had my doubts about it being "infrared".
However, I am willing to be wrong, if someone says that "yes, it is an infrared temp sensor, here's the schematics. Then I would be learning something, of which I have no problem doing.
Thanks for the links. Good reading.
Here's the p/n - google at your own peril. It's pretty hard to argue with Mopar.

55056301AC (SENSOR. Infrared. Trim: *O0, . "Air Conditioning"+"O/Head Console w/Trip Computer/UGDO"+"9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer"+"ParkSense Rear Park Assist System"+"Rear Power Sliding Window"-"Power Sunroof"%"Rear Seat Video System". Required: 001)

About $33, should you want to buy one.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5056301AC.html
Old 10-17-2012, 03:56 PM

I don't now why I get the feeling that you are giving me the "I told you so". I mentioned that I was only going by th pst when I woked on vehicles. Things do change. Oh well, Ilike I said "I don't mind learning something.

Quote:
Here's the p/n - google at your own peril. It's pretty hard to argue with Mopar.

55056301AC (SENSOR. Infrared. Trim: *O0, . "Air Conditioning"+"O/Head Console w/Trip Computer/UGDO"+"9 Amplified Speakers w/Subwoofer"+"ParkSense Rear Park Assist System"+"Rear Power Sliding Window"-"Power Sunroof"%"Rear Seat Video System". Required: 001)

About $33, should you want to buy one.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/...5056301AC.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg humble pie.jpg (28.9 KB, 10 views)
Old 10-17-2012, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I don't now why I get the feeling that you are giving me the "I told you so". I mentioned that I was only going by th pst when I woked on vehicles. Things do change. Oh well, Ilike I said "I don't mind learning something.
Learning is good.

The answer was provided earlier (three times, IIRC). You can doubt those who provide the answer, but don't get butt hurt when you do doubt them, and they post their references.