DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion

Notices

Dodge Ram 4x4 - Offroad Discussion All about Off-Road in here! From prep to execution! Let us know how you roll Off Road in your Dodge Ram Truck!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-16-2012, 12:37 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram Laramie Crew
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Black/Beige
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
Shadfactor is on a distinguished road
Default Text Messaging with RHR 730N question

Hi All,

New to the forum and can't find any other posts on this topic:

The manual for the 2012 730N Media Centre says it is SMS/Text compatible as long as the smartphone supports the feature. The problem is, neither the US or Canadian Chrysler support centres can tell me which smartphone is compatible with this feature. The most recent Uconnect spreadsheets list the feature for the 730N but no phones are checked off. I've tried the iphone 4s but no luck as well as my Blackberry 9810 Torch. Anybody out there successfully getting the system to read inbound texts to you as well as allowing you to create and send text messages from voice?

Thanks for your help.

Kent
Sponsored links
Old 10-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: green flying carpet
Trim Level: upper and lower
Rep:73
xsdbs will become famous soon enough

Hello Kent,
The manual is correct about supporting SMS but it doesn't really explain it clearly. Unfortuanely Chrysler has 3 different suppliers of the Uconnect system currently. This is because of the different radios. The 730 & 730N does not currently support SMS. In the past SMS was a supported item using an "AT" command that was supported by both the phone and Uconnect. Last year, Uconnect started to support the newer profile that was (is) going to be supported by the phone industry. This profile is called "MAP" <Message Access Profile>. There are a handful of phones on the market that support MAP and more coming.
The problem now is that the Harman radios do not support MAP. I had heard there is an SW update that they were supposed to come out with last month, then I heard possibly this month.
The supplier for the Uconnect module used with the (RES, REQ, RBZ, RHB) radios does support MAP. As of right now there are a few phones that work correctly with this module. Some other phones can receive and send Uconnect the notification of a new incoming message and read the message. But they fail in the sending of the message.
Uconnect SW is written to BTSIG specs, the problem is that the regulations on BT is not tightly regulated and can be interpeted differently by people. This allow the phone makers to add their little twist to things and sometimes it'll work, sometimes it won't. As with anything new, there will be issues to be worked out.
It would be much easier for the phone makers to look at the few car kits and see how their SW is written and what they need (the phones) in order to work together. The phones are the items that continue to constantly change, (they have new models coming out almost 1/4ly) not the car kits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadfactor View Post
Hi All,

New to the forum and can't find any other posts on this topic:

The manual for the 2012 730N Media Centre says it is SMS/Text compatible as long as the smartphone supports the feature. The problem is, neither the US or Canadian Chrysler support centres can tell me which smartphone is compatible with this feature. The most recent Uconnect spreadsheets list the feature for the 730N but no phones are checked off. I've tried the iphone 4s but no luck as well as my Blackberry 9810 Torch. Anybody out there successfully getting the system to read inbound texts to you as well as allowing you to create and send text messages from voice?

Thanks for your help.

Kent