DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 5.7 HEMI V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 5.7-liter HEMI® V8 engine - 390 horsepower, 407 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-11-2012, 02:46 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Express
Trim Level: Express
Color: Flame Red
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
BerryToyz is on a distinguished road
Default whats the difference between dual mufflers and single muffler with dual inlet/outlet

I've been searching for Maggie exhausts and came across alot so now im just wondering what the difference is between 1) Two single pipes running to each of its own muffler vs. 2) Two pipes running to one dual inlet/outlet muffler with a "y" vs 3) Two pipes runing into a "X" with its own mufflers. I looking for Hp gains/gas mileage/and a little kick of deep tone. Thanks for all comments!
Sponsored links
Old 10-11-2012, 07:34 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Color: White
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

Hello BerryToyz. Well in my opinion, it depends on where you want the power to be bud. The low end benefits from having a little backpressure so I would have to go with a single in to a single or dual out type muffler. If you will spend most of your time in the mid range to wide open throttle, then definitely go with true duals with an X or Ypipe all the way bud. And seeing that BullyDog is releasing a tuner by mid November(as Clark@AutoAnything states), you will get the big three benefit, i.e., intake, exhaust, and a tuner.
Old 10-13-2012, 07:04 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the help. Would you say that one would benefit more than the other as far as HP?
Old 10-13-2012, 08:24 PM

Vehicle: 2014 4x4 Regular Cab w/8ft bed
Trim Level: Tradesman 4x4
Engine: 2013-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 395hp 410lb/ft
Rep:974
Gantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to beholdGantman is a splendid one to behold

BerryToyz; the only real way of verifying HP gain is by throwing her on a dyno bud. If you take the plunge and have the money, I think a lot of people here would love to see data showing HP numbers with a stock, a catback system, and just dumped(turn down or cutout) right after the cats. But as to your question where max horsepower gain is at with exhaust systems; Always wide open and no restriction, until you hit the top of the powerband or limiter.
Old 10-17-2012, 10:12 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

yea true duals "supposedly" put out more power whether an h or x but no one will ever dyno a y pipe vs an x pipe vs a h pipe.
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 10-17-2012, 02:17 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

If sized appropriately, an x pipe, h pipe, and y pipe setup all are pretty close to equal in terms of hp/torque. Often times though people oversize y pipe systems and lose some low end power.

Don't listen to those who say you need back pressure for low end, or whatever else they come up with. That myth will never die. Regardless, it is false. Back pressure is ALWAYS bad for hp potential, you want free unrestricted flow. What most people don't realize is too big of a diameter exhaust pipe will slow down exhaust gas velocity, causing a loss in power.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:24 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Thanks for the anwsers. So if their close in hp/torque would it be worth paying the extra $100 bucks for a second muffler for the true duals??
Old 10-18-2012, 07:03 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 QC 4wd
Color: Deep Cherry Red Crystal Pearl
Rep:69
jacksonsnorth will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
If sized appropriately, an x pipe, h pipe, and y pipe setup all are pretty close to equal in terms of hp/torque. Often times though people oversize y pipe systems and lose some low end power.

Don't listen to those who say you need back pressure for low end, or whatever else they come up with. That myth will never die. Regardless, it is false. Back pressure is ALWAYS bad for hp potential, you want free unrestricted flow. What most people don't realize is too big of a diameter exhaust pipe will slow down exhaust gas velocity, causing a loss in power.
I agree snrusnak, i have never seen a drag racing car (I am sure they are going for max hp and speed) with mufflers. All you see is fire coming out of straight pipes right off the engine. I am thinking they know the scoop.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:48 AM

Vehicle: 2008 Ram Hemi
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:296
BlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the roughBlackHemI is a jewel in the rough

just buy a dual inlet muffler and single out and flip it so the 2 are connected with the duals...chefred has this set up and im going to do mine like this so i dont have to buy another muffler
14" magnaflow with custom magna y-pipe, 8k heads and fogs, hella FF 500's, 5% tint all the way, 60" LED brake light, Smoked tails and 3rd, Ballistic Jesters in 275/55/20 zeon ltz, color matched handles/mirrors, painted calipers, L.E.D interior, debadged & Viper 5901, 180 t-stat
Old 10-18-2012, 08:52 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Yeah really the most cost effective way is a y pip setup with single muffler, doesn't matter if the y pipe is before the muffler or in the muffler. It will perform basically the same as a good dual setup with crossover. You might leave a couple hp on the table but it's significantly cheaper and also keep in mind lighter. Is 5 hp worth 10 lbs? I dunno....maybe?

With your truck, don't go larger than 2.5" for the duals before the y pipe and don't go larger than 3" for the single after the y pipe.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.