DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Off Topic > Off Topic Discussion

Notices

Off Topic Discussion Anything goes in here! Well, almost!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of
Default Cashier's check safe?

Hey guys I've never used any other methods of payment when selling items other than cash or paypal, and I'm selling an intake manifold to a guy that says he just got the internet and doesn't even have email. He is on a forum though so that sort of boggles my mind lol. I've talked to him on the phone, seems legit. He said he can send me a cashier's check(or personal check) and after I cash it send the item, which sounds good to me. Once I cash the check and it's in my account, nothing can go wrong.....right?

Thanks in advance...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Sponsored links
Old 10-17-2012, 03:12 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Sport Reg Cab 4x4
Trim Level: Sport Reg Cab
Color: Mineral Gray Metallic
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:186
rdsabin has a spectacular aura aboutrdsabin has a spectacular aura about

Wrong, if you cash the check and the bank finds that it has non sufficient funds or it is a closed account or stolen check they will reverse the depostit of the check thereby leaving you stuck for the amount.
The only way to ensure you don't get burned is to deposit the check and then wait for almost 10 business days for it to clear. Once it has cleared then ship the item. Most people will not agree to that though. So if he can give you a check why can't he get a US Postal Money Order or some other form of secure payment.

Just my opinion. Good luck, and if he is on the net then he has a email address.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:17 PM

Vehicle: 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg cab
Trim Level: SLT Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:155
99gp has a spectacular aura about99gp has a spectacular aura about

He has to have an email. I have not seen a forum that you didn't have to one to join
Old 10-17-2012, 03:23 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500 Quad cab 4x4
Trim Level: ST
Color: Atlantic Blue
Rep:140
DOZER will become famous soon enoughDOZER will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to DOZER Send a message via Skype™ to DOZER

I agree with both of these statements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdsabin View Post
Wrong, if you cash the check and the bank finds that it has non sufficient funds or it is a closed account or stolen check they will reverse the depostit of the check thereby leaving you stuck for the amount.
The only way to ensure you don't get burned is to deposit the check and then wait for almost 10 business days for it to clear. Once it has cleared then ship the item. Most people will not agree to that though. So if he can give you a check why can't he get a US Postal Money Order or some other form of secure payment.

Just my opinion. Good luck, and if he is on the net then he has a email address.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99gp View Post
He has to have an email. I have not seen a forum that you didn't have to one to join
'06 2500 ST 4x4 Quad cab, Vararam CAI, Bed/Hood stripes, Vent visors, Bully tailgate lock, Moto Metal 909 18x9, Nitto Terra Grapplers 295/70/18 HBS 2" level, Bilstein 5100's, Bushwhacker flares, 5000K HID's, Diablo Trinity 87 tune, LineX, Bakflip F1.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:37 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 2X4
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2615
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

I pay my Rent with a Cashiers Check
When i bought my Ram, i gave the dealership 2 Cashiers Checks, $10,000 each

When i get the Cashiers Checks, the Credit Union that i bank with, takes the money from my account, before the Cashiers Check is handed to me.
The issuing bank can be called & verification can be done as soon as the check is in your hands
Ram 1500 SLT Quad cab, 5.7 HEMI(R) MDS VCT, 5 speed auto 545RFE, 3.55 differential gears, 18" Magnaflow muffler, EGR bug deflector, Bushwacker fender flares, customized Nfab nerf bars, CB radio, Autonet wi-fi router, custom soft tonneau cover, Line_X bedliner, DEBO Step, build date 10/15/08 a Wednesday built vehicle
Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM

snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info guys, I'm still a little confused, but send him a PM saying I am ok with it as long as I hold the intake until the money clears into my account...when that will be I don't know...I'll ask the bank I guess...

Old 10-17-2012, 03:42 PM

Good point about needing an email for a forum too.....didn't think about that...

Old 10-17-2012, 03:46 PM

What about a personal check? If he sends a personal check, I cash it, wait for it to clear, once it's cleared I send the part. Nothing can go wrong with that right?

He said he's fine if I wait until it clears but he was going to send a personal check just because it's easier. If I'm waiting for it to clear I don't see why it would matter...

Old 10-17-2012, 04:02 PM

Vehicle: 2003 Dodge Ram 1500 QC
Trim Level: SLT Lonestar Edition
Color: Flame Red
Rep:257
HemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the roughHemiLonestar is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to HemiLonestar Send a message via MSN to HemiLonestar Send a message via Yahoo to HemiLonestar

I'd insist on a money order.

"Big Red"
2003 Ram 1500 QC Hemi Lonestar Edition (Mods list in profile)
2006 Charger R/T
Sarcasm - it beats killing people
Old 10-17-2012, 04:12 PM
Team Bully

Vehicle: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 QC TRX4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Flame Red
Rep:1722
ShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant futureShawnC13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by snrusnak View Post
What about a personal check? If he sends a personal check, I cash it, wait for it to clear, once it's cleared I send the part. Nothing can go wrong with that right?

He said he's fine if I wait until it clears but he was going to send a personal check just because it's easier. If I'm waiting for it to clear I don't see why it would matter...
Wow rare here to find people still using cheques. If you PM'd him and he responded alredy how did he know he had a PM with out having an email? Money order is a guaranteed. I have always purchased money order and use paypal now. The thing about even sending a personal cheque out is that now that person has your bank account information as well.