DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2011 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2011 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the 2011 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

View Poll Results: Have you experienced the torque converter problem?
Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed. 187 32.19%
No, I have not noticed this problem. 283 48.71%
I can't determine for sure if I have this problem. 111 19.10%
Voters: 581. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-19-2012, 12:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport
Trim Level: Sport
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
sself510 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransEngineer View Post
Yes, the computer IS holding back your torque. We have two different stall torque limits (which limit the engine torque in 1st gear): one for when the brakes are applied, and one for when the brakes are released. So there will be a difference depending on whether your brakes are applied or not.
Well that's good to know, is there anything I can do to get this adjusted, it's absolutely driving me crazy. I just recently had my truck dyno tuned, but they said there wasn't anything they could do to help me, I'm sitting at 362 rwhp and 372 rwfpt. Please let me know what I need to do to help this issue.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:52 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2012 Dodge Ram lonestar
Trim Level: Lonestar
Color: Red
Rep:46
garner is on a distinguished road

Damn what mods do you have?
Best time: 14.7402 @87.53 on bald goodyear fortera sl 285 45 22 in 2500 DA. Corrected to 14.301 @ 90.28
Old 10-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:338
TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sself510 View Post
Well that's good to know, is there anything I can do to get this adjusted, it's absolutely driving me crazy. I just recently had my truck dyno tuned, but they said there wasn't anything they could do to help me, I'm sitting at 362 rwhp and 372 rwfpt. Please let me know what I need to do to help this issue.
The stall torque limits are part of the trans calibration, so the only way to "fix" it is to change the calibration. Unfortunately, emissions regulations prevent us (or your dealer) from changing the production calibration in a single vehicle (unless we release an updated calibration that's generally offered to all owners of that particular vehicle configuration). Since revising your cal would force us to re-certify the vehicles (for emissions compliance), and would adversely affect durability, this is not going to happen. Sorry....
Old 10-19-2012, 11:46 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Quote:
Yes, the computer IS holding back your torque. We have two different stall torque limits (which limit the engine torque in 1st gear): one for when the brakes are applied, and one for when the brakes are released. So there will be a difference depending on whether your brakes are applied or not.
Quote:
The stall torque limits are part of the trans calibration, so the only way to "fix" it is to change the calibration. Unfortunately, emissions regulations prevent us (or your dealer) from changing the production calibration in a single vehicle (unless we release an updated calibration that's generally offered to all owners of that particular vehicle configuration). Since revising your cal would force us to re-certify the vehicles (for emissions compliance), and would adversely affect durability, this is not going to happen. Sorry....
Well that's a bummer, well in your expertise, do you know of any other way to adjust these calibrations? With either some type of aftermarket solution or something that I could do myself?
Old 10-19-2012, 12:24 PM

TransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the roughTransEngineer is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Well that's a bummer, well in your expertise, do you know of any other way to adjust these calibrations? With either some type of aftermarket solution or something that I could do myself?
It is not something that can be modified using a normal scan tool. I don't know whether there are aftermarket tools available that would allow you to overwrite the stored value in the existing calibration. But you would need to know the exact memory location of that value, for your specific calibration. I don't have that information, either, and even if I did I would not be able to publicly disclose it.
Old 10-19-2012, 04:03 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

I would like some more advice if you don't mind. With the current TC it stalls from 3000-3200, but in first gear from a dead stop with WOT, it jumps to 2500 rpms, bouncing there refusing to go to the new stall. I also tried WOT no brake from a dead stop, it also jumps to 2500 rpms bouncing until my truck reaches a certain speed, then jumps up to the new stall and takes off like its supposed to.

With this issue I'm not sure what I can do to help my problem, I'm not sure I can get this issue tuned out, or just change the stall. In your opinion what would you reccomend? Look for someone to adjust the parameters, or change the stall? I can get a 2500-2700 stall, and a 2800-3000 stall. I'm looking for the best, and also safest choice, I'm really frustrated with what is currently happening and would really appreciate your advice.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
I would like some more advice if you don't mind. With the current TC it stalls from 3000-3200, but in first gear from a dead stop with WOT, it jumps to 2500 rpms, bouncing there refusing to go to the new stall. I also tried WOT no brake from a dead stop, it also jumps to 2500 rpms bouncing until my truck reaches a certain speed, then jumps up to the new stall and takes off like its supposed to.

With this issue I'm not sure what I can do to help my problem, I'm not sure I can get this issue tuned out, or just change the stall. In your opinion what would you reccomend? Look for someone to adjust the parameters, or change the stall? I can get a 2500-2700 stall, and a 2800-3000 stall. I'm looking for the best, and also safest choice, I'm really frustrated with what is currently happening and would really appreciate your advice.
I'd recommend using the lowest stall speed (as close to stock) as you can get. The stock converter stall speed is about 2300 RPM.

I think your problem (which gives you the "bouncing") is the PCM trying to control the trans input torque. As engine RPM increases, so does the engine torque. But more importantly, the stall torque required increases with the square of the engine RPM. That is, the engine torque that's required (to spin the converter when the output is stopped [stalled]) goes up with the square of the engine RPM.

For example, let's suppose that at your normal (stock) stall speed of 2300 RPM, the engine torque is 340 ft-lbs, and the turbine torque (converter output) is 640 ft-lbs. Now let's also suppose that the PCM wants to keep the trans input torque (at stall) below 620 ft-lbs. So it cuts back the engine torque to 329 ft-lbs. That's a reduction of 3.2%.

But suppose your converter has a stall speed of 3200 RPM. As the PCM sees the engine speed rise (above 2300), it recalculates the trans input torque. At 2400 RPM, it would take about 370 ft-lbs of engine torque, which would give 696 ft-lbs of trans input torque. So at 2400 RPM, the PCM would be telling the engine to cut back its torque by 11%. At 2800 RPM, the stall torque (engine torque) required would be 500 ft-lbs, giving 941 ft-lbs of trans input, requiring a 34% torque reduction. And at 3200 RPM, stall torque required would be 655 ft-lbs, giving 1233 ft-lbs of trans input, requiring a 50% torque reduction!

So I think what's happening is.... your engine speed is going above the normal stall speed, which causes the PCM to drastically cut back the engine torque, which causes the engine speed to fall, which causes the torque to drop, which causes the PCM to allow less torque reduction, which causes the engine speed to rise, which causes the PCM to crank the torque management back up, etc., etc.

Now your converter (with higher stall speed) has different characteristics than the stock converter, but the PCM thinks it has a stock converter, so it calculates excessive torque management requirements, which gives you the odd behavior. So I think the closer you get to a stock converter (stall speed) the better off you'll be.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:33 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Dodge Ram
Trim Level: Big Horn
VMIGuy is on a distinguished road
Default No issues here

Only had mine for a couple months....bought it used 30K+ miles. I don't hear any grinding noises.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 Ram 1500
Trim Level: Outdoorsman
Color: Deep Cherry Red
Rep:26
crash89 is on a distinguished road

Need to change my vote... I am now noticing it in Tow/Haul mode between 1500 and 2000 RPM. Only 10K miles on it right now..
Old 11-27-2012, 02:13 PM
US Army Retired

Vehicle: '11 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew 4x4
Trim Level: Big Horn
Color: Brilliant Black
Rep:1178
ArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud ofArmyofOne has much to be proud of

My truck just went back in yesterday for Converter #3. It is a 2011 Big Horn Crew 4x4. Had the noise develop at around 18k miles, then had the factory converter replaced with a remanned one under warranty. It then had a shudder on the highway whenever throttle was first applied after coasting. Felt like driving over rumble strips. It went back yesterday after talking with my service manager last week he agreed to order a NEW converter this time.

This would have been a total nightmare, but my dealer has been terrific about listening to me and not being so quick to discount my opinions. The first time they diagnosed the shudder, they found it to be normal, but that was AFTER they kept it a week for diagnosis, put it on a dyno, and a MOTUS System, then did a drivability software update. After the update, the shudder was MUCH more pronounced and they were able to finally pinpoint the cause.

It would appear the Remanufactured converters (Part #R8051146AB) are bad news...but I will reserve judgement and update here when I get my truck back later this week.

2014 Mazda CX-5 Touring w/Tech Pack-6000K HID's, 20% tint, 35mpg, so I will leave it alone.
2002 Ford Focus ZTW Wagon-loaded, tinted, tunes and commuting. 163k miles and counting...