DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING

Notices

Custom Chassis - Drive Line - Suspension - Wheels and Tires - LEVELING Discuss anything related to Custom Dodge Ram Wheels, Tires, Brakes, Suspension Mods, Chassis Mods and Tuning, Towing options, Driveline, Differentials, Sway Bars, Lowering Springs, Strut Braces, etc.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 11-15-2011, 01:55 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:10
pt145ss is on a distinguished road
Default Leveling Kit Questions

Hello All, New to the forum.

I'm sure this has been discussed here before but I just could not seem to find what i was looking for when utilizing the search option.

My son has a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500 (2wd) Hemi and I'm looking to buy him a leveling kit as one of his Christmas gifts. From what I could see on the net there appears to be two kinds of kits, a torsion bar key and/or the kind that goes over the coil. So my questions are, which type is better and are there any recommendations on brand and/or place to get them?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored links
Old 11-15-2011, 02:52 PM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

They only used torsion bars on 4x4 so that options out.
Your options are a coil spacer or a leveling spring. That decesion can be made by your budget and how much lift your looking for.
Measure from the center of the wheel to the lip of the fender in the front and bac, the difference between the two will tell you how much lift you need to be level.
I think your best options for a 2wd are a spacer from fatbobsgarage.com or rough country sells a 3" "lift kit" (3" springs for the front 1" block for the rear). I think the later is the better deal but it's somewhere around $300 I think
Old 11-16-2011, 09:28 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
pt145ss is on a distinguished road

I appreciate the info. I will most likely go with a coil spacer because the lift is mostly for cosmetic purposes.

I was reading some DIY stuff on installing a spacer and found conflicting information. Some say a spring compressor is necessary and others say that it is not necessary. Can any one point me to a Ram specific DIY for the spacer?

Thanks.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:23 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: White
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Not to turn you away from this, but there are several threads of people having issues with the spacer kits. I don't know if the 2wd's have the issues, but just be aware of it and make sure you do a lot of research.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:44 AM
Banned

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge Ram 2500
Color: Mineral Gray
Rep:177
Stangshcky12 has a spectacular aura aboutStangshcky12 has a spectacular aura about

With 2wd drives there is a chance of causing premature ball joint wear. Some people have problems Wwith their ball joints because of the angles they are at at some heights.
I used a spring compressor and had to put a bottle jack between the axle to get the spring and spacer back in. You can pick some up at harbor freight cheap. They can be very dangerous, I do t like to crank them down anymore then I need too
Old 11-17-2011, 07:47 PM

Vehicle: 2012 Ford F-150
Trim Level: XLT
Color: Metallic Blue
Rep:91
bigdaddyII will become famous soon enough

I installed a 2" spacer from Fat Bobs Garage at the beginning of this year and havent had any problems. I didnt use a spring compressor, I simply placed a jack under lower control arm, busted upper ball joint and tie rod loose, and lowered jack all the way. You will need that jack to put it all back together. I have done both my 02 and my uncles 04 and didnt see the need for a spring compressor, just put the truck on jackstands as high as it will go and you shouldnt have any problems.

Before

After

Old 11-27-2011, 09:45 AM

Vehicle: 2012 1500 CC Express 4WD
Trim Level: Crew Cab Express
Color: Black
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:14
mikeb33 is on a distinguished road

Are you sure he wants to go up? Some people level by lowering the rear. Especially 2WD types.
Old 10-21-2012, 02:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Ram 1500 ST
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
HamishHill is on a distinguished road
Default levelling

Mike is right, I looked at bringing my 04 up in the nose but now thinking ill drop the rear.