DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 5.7L V8 Specific Topics
Register Advertising Gallery FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 10-22-2012, 01:22 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2004 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: Blue
Engine: 2003-2008 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 345hp 375lb/ft
Rep:10
HemiGirl09 is on a distinguished road
Default 04 1500 Hemi

I bought my truck in Oct of 2010 its a Blue Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 4x4. It was bought used but ran like a champ for over a year and a half only minor parts repairs (battery, idler pulley, clock spring, ignition switch, etc) Aug of this year I went to the gas station to fill up and it would only put 15 or 20 cents in at one time before it shut off acting like it was full but I knew it was not, I tried several more pumps in the course of the next week or so. Then took apart the filler neck and dropped the gas tank and still could not find the problem. Put it back together so I could go to work and just took the time to slowly fill my tank. About a week or two later I was on my way home, the truck had been driving great other than it taking a year to fill the tank, it all of the sudden lost power and started shaking really bad like I had an engine mount really really loose (my ex Boyfriend had a Mazda Rx7 that used to eat those for breakfast so I know what that feels like) so I pulled over shut off the truck and called someone to come tow the truck home got it home and pulled the plug to drain the oil pan and all I start seeing is orange anti freeze start flowing out! First thought is NOT GOOD. it drained about 1 & 1/2 gallon of anti freeze before oil. I have started tearing the block apart looking for the problem and I have not found one. This is my first hemi so I am not sure what this engines Achilles heel/heels are. When this happend all of my guages were fine, no over heating or anything.
Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Sponsored links
Old 10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Dakota Club Cab 4X4
Trim Level: SXT
Color: Bright Silver
Rep:1909
RamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant futureRamTech has a brilliant future

The Hemi really doesn't have an Achillies heel to speak of. First gen engines has a valve spring problem that was remedied with a redesign that was implemented in the Ram in 2006. I would initially suspect a blown head gasket but head and/or block damage isn't out of the realm of possibility.