DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - General Discussion > 2010 Dodge Ram Forum

Notices

2010 Dodge Ram Forum For specific discussion of the new 2010 Dodge Ram!

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 12-08-2011, 10:29 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: N/A
Rep:350
TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
Great thread... Got a question for TransE....

On my early model 09 1500 with the 4.7 the transmission seems to like to lock and unlock quite a bit at 25-40mph. RPM seems to move around a bit and the trans feels "confused"... but as I'm reading your previous post, since the trans is shifting through the gears correctly and not throwing codes, then its unlikely that there's a problem.

Is this "hunting" a normal thing?
Well, things do get a little confusing in that range, with 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts and downshifts, and the TCC locking and unlocking. For example, tipping into the throttle as little as 6 can generate an unlock in some regions. So if the "confusion" is in response to changes in speed, or changes in throttle position, I wouldn't be concerned.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:43 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT
Trim Level: SLT
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:19
sethmark is on a distinguished road

Thanks. I've been in and out of a lot of autos, but the computer controls are beyond my scope of competency. I know what I feel and what I think, but that doesn't necessarily mean I'm right!

So... is there a fix for the gas tank slosh in the 32 gallon tank? lol...
Old 12-09-2011, 11:12 AM

TransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really niceTransEngineer is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmark View Post
.... So... is there a fix for the gas tank slosh in the 32 gallon tank? lol...
Looks like the official answer is "no":

Symptom/Vehicle Issue: Sloshing Sound, Bump Felt Stopping at Slow Speeds
Discussion: Ram Trucks equipped with a 32 gallon fuel tank can experience a sloshing sound or a bump felt when stopping at slow speeds. This condition happens when the fuel tank is to 7/8 of a full tank. This is most noticeable when driving in stop and go traffic.
This can be confirmed by filling the tank completely (do not over fill tank) and then road testing again. This is normal operation and no parts should be replaced to correct this condition.

I guess you could fill your tank only 5/8 full (or less), although obviously that's not a very practical solution....
Old 12-09-2011, 11:15 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Ram 1500 SLT
sethmark is on a distinguished road

Thank you again for the information... this completely relieves any concern I had.

Man I'd like to pick your brain for an hour!
Old 10-22-2012, 12:01 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Silver
Engine: 2009-20?? 345ci (5.7L) Hemi V8 390hp 407lb/ft
Rep:10
EdmontonRam is on a distinguished road
Default Hard shift/Jerk

TransEngineer - This is great we have someone to ask questions !!!!

I am taking my truck to the dealer in 3 days for a shift concern. I am getting a hard/jerk shift around 20-25 kph when accelerating between 1500-2000ish RPM. The truck will do it once warm, if it in in auto mode or manually put in second gear, and it will also do it with or without tow/haul on or off.

I am hoping my description makes sense, is there anything you can think of that I should tell them in hopes to have this fixed.

I have a 2011 5.7L auto crew cab in canada.

Thanks for any help you can provide !!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonRam View Post
... I am taking my truck to the dealer in 3 days for a shift concern. I am getting a hard/jerk shift around 20-25 kph when accelerating between 1500-2000ish RPM. The truck will do it once warm, if it in in auto mode or manually put in second gear, and it will also do it with or without tow/haul on or off.

I am hoping my description makes sense, is there anything you can think of that I should tell them in hopes to have this fixed.

I have a 2011 5.7L auto crew cab in canada.

Thanks for any help you can provide !!
Sounds like you have a harsh 1-2 upshift. Most likely cause would be a 2C Clutch Volume Index (CVI) that is too high.

You can try to re-learn the 2C volume yourself, before taking it to the dealer, if you want. Make sure the trans sump temp is 110F or higher (you should be able to read it on the EVIC, or just make sure the trans is warmed up normally). Use the ERS switches to limit the trans to 3rd (direct) gear. This will be an ERS display of "4" (since using ERS activates an alternate 2nd gear [ERS "3"] that is not used in normal through-gear accelerations, direct gear is displayed as "4" in ERS mode). Drive about 40 kph, and make repeated part-throttle kickdowns to 2nd gear. Step into the throttle enough to get a downshift, let the shift complete, then lift foot and let it upshift again. Slow back down to 40 kph, then tip in again to make another downshift. Make about 15-20 downshifts in a row. That should re-learn the 2C CVI. Then see if your 1-2 upshifts are better.

If not, have your dealer perform a "quick-learn" procedure on your truck. They do this using a scan tool (it takes about 15 seconds, once they get the tool hooked up). This will reset ALL the trans adaptives to "factory" specs, and re-learn ALL the CVIs. So this should take care of it. If you still have issues, then you may have an internal problem with the 2C accumulator piston spring, or some other component.
Old 10-27-2012, 11:51 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2011 Ram Crew Sport
Trim Level: Sport Crew
Color: Silver
Rep:10
EdmontonRam is on a distinguished road

Truck went in and I took the Shop Forman for a ride, he told me Dodge would not take the trans apart and rebuild it for a jerk like that, it would have to get worse. I agreed that we should start with a factory reset, as I did not want my new truck taken apart if it didn't need to be. Picked up the truck and it seems to be shifting as normal, boy is that nice.

When I asked what the shop forman meant by a rebuild on my trans would include, he said "A overhaul which would be the seals" I am not sure what that means? Do you have any idea?

Thanks again for all your help. Its nice to have a guy on here to ask questions.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmontonRam View Post
... When I asked what the shop forman meant by a rebuild on my trans would include, he said "A overhaul which would be the seals" I am not sure what that means? Do you have any idea?
Typically, a "rebuild" means replacing all the clutch packs inside the transmission, and replacing the seals (clutch piston seals, input and output seals, etc.). The hard parts (gears, shafts, clutch retainers, case, etc.) are cleaned and inspected for wear or damage, but are not usually replaced unless excessive wear, or a defect, is found. Some shops will routinely replace the hydraulic system parts (pump, and valve body assy or solenoid module), while others will also clean and inspect these parts but not replace them unless defective.
Old 11-01-2012, 12:29 AM

Vehicle: 2009 Dodge Ram
storeboy is on a distinguished road

TE I want to copy everyone else and thank you for your input on the forum. It has been very educational to read your posts to people's issues. Many issues that people seem to have are hard to diagnose without actually being there to experience it. You always seem to know where to start looking even with the limited information you are given. I am glad to see that there is someone from Chysler/Dodge/Ram that is active on the forum to see the real-world experience from owners.

With all of that being said, what are your thoughts on the Transgo shift kits for the 4th gen Rams 545RFE transmission? I have read alot of these being put into the 3rd gen Rams with good results, but I have not seen anything for the 4th gen rams. Did the 545RFE change so that these don't work on this version of the transmission or has something been updated in the transmission where people are just not needing them anymore?
Old 11-01-2012, 09:06 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Color: White
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

I agree! TE you need to get a picture uploaded to the gallery so that when people nominate you for member of the month you meet the criteria . You've been nominated previously but didn't meet the criteria because of the picture...

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.